Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

HIIT Weekly Schedule

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

HIIT Weekly Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 12:43 PM
hyperhammer25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HIIT Weekly Schedule

I've been doing two HIIT sessions per week with great results in my first few months of cycling, ever. So I don't want to screw up that kind of schedule, where at least two days of rest should be between each HIIT workout. And I've heard you are most fatigued two days after a HIIT session. But then I started thinking back on a workout program called Air Alert that I did 10 years ago, which had miraculous results. You would basically do body weight jumping exercises. You can Google it and find the whole program for free on their website. Their workout schedule is 3 days per week, all basically comparable to a HIIT session on the bike. Odd weeks would be Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And even weeks would be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Any opinions on the possible success of organizing my Tabata and VO2 Max workouts like this? Would it be too exhausting, or give me miraculous results? The big point is that I would be doing my HIIT sessions when already fatigued, as opposed to being well rested like my current schedule of allowing two days of rest between each session.
Old 03-31-21, 02:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Why don't you just ride your bike 3 or 4 days a week for a total of at least 150 miles each week? You can do some hard or some easy or mix it up on others.

If you have to have results by the end of the week, then I can't help you with that. I'm on a multi-year plan.
Old 03-31-21, 03:22 PM
hyperhammer25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 5 days a week, about 10 hours per week. Currently 2 HIIT rides and 3 endurance zone rides per week. But I'm mainly curious about the timing of the HIIT sessions, and what kind of effect that could have on results. And I'm not in any rush for results. I'm following tips from Dylan Johnson on YouTube, and just starting a 3 month Build Season focused on higher intensity, sprints, VO2 Max and getting more specific to the races or events I like to do.
Old 03-31-21, 05:57 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I put at least two days between HIIT sessions. In a perfect week it's
M-off
Tu-HIIT
W-Endurance
Th-off
Fri-HIIT
Sat-Endurance
Sun-Recovery, Endurance, whatever. Get out and not worry ride.

Not every week is like this. Last week was nothing but endurance and I ended up with the most time on the bike ever, 12:24. And the most calories, 8127. This week the endurance ride was Tuesday and Wednesday was my HIIT session. I also watch Dylan Johnson and it's either seeing him do it or it's him talking about the science but I've managed to up my training, increase my time in the saddle, increase my TSS and not feel destroyed doing it.

I will say that having done my HIIT sessions after a day off I always am fresh and ready to go. I can complete them without strain and still have enough left in the tank to stretch the ride out to 2-2.5 hours with a Z1 or Z2 in the second half. I get more time in the saddle, burn more calories (need to lose weight), and build some endurance. Last year I'd only manage 6-8 hours a week as I'd be too drained otherwise.
Old 03-31-21, 06:08 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by hyperhammer25
Odd weeks would be Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And even weeks would be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Any opinions on the possible success of organizing my Tabata and VO2 Max workouts like this?
Your body should control your training schedule, not a calendar. One of the basic principles of training is individuality. People respond differently to training; programs should fit the person, not vice versa.

If you're asking if you should train in a fatigued state vs. fully recovered, that depends on your goals and how you respond to training under each condition.