Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking Pedals - Pics Included

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-01-17, 09:25 AM
tietherope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a 2017 Specialized Sirrus Sport from my LBS and after about 45km a slight click/creaking noise began. It got worse over time and after a couple of rides I tightened the pedals which fixed it on my short test ride. After about 10km the noise came back though. I took the pedals off this morning to clean them up/re-grease them and took a few pictures of how they look.

The point where the face of the arm would touch the face of the pedal is gouged, there looks to be metal that has been removed. I would imagine at this point the arms need to be replaced? What would cause this? Should the LBS fix this for free after such a short time?

Thanks for any insight you can give.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170701_105653222.jpg (78.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170701_110047222.jpg (96.1 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by tietherope; 07-01-17 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 10:48 AM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Who fitted the pedals originally, you or the bike shop ?

Did the pedals come fitted with pedal washers ? as they should have if not, the washers would have prevented that damage.
Unless the pedals were tightened with way too much force.

If the inner thread has not been damaged, and the pedals still screw in fine, they are still usable. The damage is superficial. Just make sure to use pedal washers. So not to cause any more damage. Then touch up the silver with some black paint.

If the bike shop didn't fit the washers on installation, then it would be their fault. They could replace the arms but i doubt they would because they are still usable. They may offer you an apology and some kind of reimburesment or voucher for the mistake.

Last edited by trailflow1; 07-01-17 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 11:11 AM
tietherope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1
Who fitted the pedals originally, you or the bike shop ?

Did the pedals come fitted with pedal washers ? as they should have if not, the washers would have prevented that damage.
Unless the pedals were tightened with way too much force.

If the inner thread has not been damaged, and the pedals still screw in fine, they are still usable. Just make to use pedal washers. So not to cause any more damage.
Thanks for the response.

The bike left the shop with the pedals on already and no washers. I did tighten the pedals, but they were already making the noise by that point. I tightened, noticed the noise was less, then tightened bit by bit until the noise was fully gone.

One pedal screws in very easily and the other requires a bit more force. Just a couple of fingers on the wrench will do, but it is stiffer than the other pedal. Once it gets to the last 1-2 rotations it becomes as easy as the other pedal.

Edit: I just saw your addition. I'll take the bike in tomorrow morning for them to have a look.
Old 07-05-17, 12:17 PM
tietherope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update -

Took it in to the shop. They replaced the pedals, I went out to the parking lot, noise was still there. They then replaced the BB and I've gone ~40km without issue now.
Old 07-06-17, 03:35 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by tietherope
They then replaced the BB and I've gone ~40km without issue now.
I'm willing to bet your original BB just needed to be tightened (that's what causes a creak) and they decided to charge you for a new one instead.