Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Broke my axle

Old 06-27-13, 09:30 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broke my axle

My back wheel had delveloped a slight vibration that I only noticed when I was walking the bike on smooth ground. I put off looking at it all month because I only thought of it when I wanted to ride, and then I wanted to ride, not tinker with the bike. Today I had a look at it, and the axle was broken all the way through. The only thing holding it was the quick release skewer, which was bent. I didn't go off any curbs or over any hard bumps, the bike is a year and a half old, and I've only been riding it 3 to 6 miles a day, most days...so all I can figure is that my weight was too much for it.

I'm thinking when I take it in to get fixed, it might be better to get a threaded axle than another quick release, because it wouldn't have a hole through the middle for a skewer, so that might make it stronger. Does that sound like a good idea?
Old 06-27-13, 09:50 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Redline Monocog 29er, Generic Track bike, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The solid axle may be stronger, but you will have to add a 15mm wrench to your tool kit. I managed to break a front axle on one of my mountain bikes a few years back, and put a standard replacement in that outlasted two more forks. I think the first one breaking must have been a fluke.
Old 06-28-13, 10:06 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Giant Liv

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of my spouse broke an axle on a wheel with a freewheel. I found a used wheel that takes cassettes . This way he could keep the quick release. Wheels that take cassettes rather than freewheels are stronger.
Old 06-28-13, 12:02 PM
Judi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I will see what they suggest when I take it in. I'm not too worried about keeping the quick release because we ride a big loop around the neighborhood, so the furthest we get is about 2 miles from the house, just in different directions, which even my youngest could walk if we ended up with a flat and had to walk home. I used to keep a pump and tools on my bike, but once my 8 year old started riding with us, we quit going as far and I quit carrying the tools.
Old 07-02-13, 01:30 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kept bending quick release skewers until I switched to Salsa's tandem rated ones. No problems since. Admittedly, when I was breaking skewers I was doing silly things like landing hard from launching off curbs and often carrying a passenger on my front rack. I may have been 60 pounds lighter, but I was probably a LOT tougher on my wheels then.
Old 07-02-13, 12:59 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on rider and bike weight, a solid axle may still not solve your problems. As someone mentioned above, us heavier riders do better with a freehub design that uses cassettes. This puts the outboard bearings on the drive side much further out than freewheel hubs that have a much longer cantilevered section. So a freehub is likely the way to go. However, depending on the type of bike, this kind of upgrade can be expensive.
Old 07-02-13, 11:32 PM
Judi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For now I have to go with the cheapest fix...I had been riding with the wobble for almost two months and during those two months I've lost 25 lbs, so maybe there won't be as much strain on the axle as there was before. If it breaks again, I'll look into getting the freehub and cassette. My spare bike has an internal-gear hub, I wonder if that is stronger than the one I broke.

The LBS said it will be about $25 to fix the axle, which seems like a deal to me since it's something I can't fix myself.
Old 07-03-13, 06:36 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Giant Liv

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Congratulations on the weight loss.