Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

An Apartment Designed to Force You Out of Your Car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 08:36 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

We talk about whether it could work, but while we discuss, some investors are taking action. An apartment tower in downtown Miami... home of the automobile.

But as for parking? Zero of that.

Not for private motor vehicles, anyway. The Centro, as it’s called, will have a five-car Car2Go auto share station featuring the city-backed service’s distinctive, blue-and-white Smart cars; covered bike parking; and, if Miami gets bike share, maybe one of those stations as well. The project breaks ground this fall.
https://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...your-car/6211/

Don't you think this will be a success?
Old 07-16-13, 08:45 PM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At prices starting at 220,000$ the people living there will have the cash to make it work.

Car is king in miami though. Not a nice place to get around in general, no matter how you do it.
Old 07-16-13, 09:38 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv
We talk about whether it could work, but while we discuss, some investors are taking action. An apartment tower in downtown Miami... home of the automobile.

https://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...your-car/6211/

Don't you think this will be a success?
It may be a success, but I think most people will be paying for parking elsewhere. I kind of think the car share with only 5 cars isn't meant as a serious alternative - with 350 units, there will likely be 500-700 people living there, which is way too many people even if they only drive 2-4 times per month.
Old 07-16-13, 09:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Amsterdam canal houseboat.
Old 07-16-13, 10:43 PM
Slowhead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar urban areas prior to this marketing angle would just have said 'building has no parking.' They mention parking available a block away. 5 share/cars is still a step in the right direction. If you can afford a mortgage and the HOA fees there, your probably not shopping for a condo that has share/cars. It is a unique amenity.
Old 07-17-13, 04:21 AM
GodsBassist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to start somewhere!
Old 07-17-13, 07:52 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by plustax
At prices starting at 220,000$ the people living there will have the cash to make it work.

Car is king in miami though. Not a nice place to get around in general, no matter how you do it.
How do you figure it takes extra cash to make being carfree work? Most of us save money this way.

And in what city is the car not presently king? But both the city and many individuals would fare better if there were many fewer cars.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-17-13, 08:03 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by alhedges
It may be a success, but I think most people will be paying for parking elsewhere. I kind of think the car share with only 5 cars isn't meant as a serious alternative - with 350 units, there will likely be 500-700 people living there, which is way too many people even if they only drive 2-4 times per month.
But they will probably use their cars much less if they walk a couple blocks to get them--especially if they walk past many shopping amenities and transit access on the way.

The on-premises share cars are brilliant, and I suppose more can be added as needed. Many carfree people use rental cars two to four times per year, not per month.

Besides, I think the point is that the inhabitants are committed to using cars much less or not at all. This building is designed to be convenient for people who are already carfree, or want to be.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-17-13, 08:19 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask Portland if simply eliminating/reducing parking for apartments works to get people out of their cars...
Old 07-17-13, 08:58 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
Ask Portland if simply eliminating/reducing parking for apartments works to get people out of their cars...
I'm afraid I lost Portland's phone number. Can you share a link or two that answers this question?

Also, keep in mind that this development didn't simply eliminate parking. It also included car share, covered bike parking, and a location near to amenities and public transit. I don't think the purpose is to get people out of their cars. I think the purpose is to cater to people who have already decided to get out of their cars.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-17-13, 11:43 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I'm afraid I lost Portland's phone number. Can you share a link or two that answers this question?

Also, keep in mind that this development didn't simply eliminate parking. It also included car share, covered bike parking, and a location near to amenities and public transit. I don't think the purpose is to get people out of their cars. I think the purpose is to cater to people who have already decided to get out of their cars.
https://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...still-rely-on/
Old 07-17-13, 11:45 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, the irony -- I NEVER thought I'd see a pushback to a concept that purposely ignores the deification of the car...on a car-free subforum of a bike forum.
Old 07-17-13, 12:12 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Oh, the irony -- I NEVER thought I'd see a pushback to a concept that purposely ignores the deification of the car...on a car-free subforum of a bike forum.
Are you kidding? This forum frequently reads like carsaregod.org!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-17-13, 12:14 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
That's an interesting article. Portland developers can build buildings without car parking, but only in areas close to good public transit, and it's a good deal for the developers, because the building costs less to build, or they can build more units on smaller lots, and there's a shortage of housing, so people are still willing to rent an apartment with no parking, even if they own a car. However, because some residents of these no car-park buildings still own cars, they end up parking on the street causing congestion. Some neighbours are annoyed by this, or just don't like these new buildings

So now they're debating adjusting the rules.

Sounds like just normal growing pains as the city's plans to encourage density and less car usage evolve over time.
Old 07-17-13, 12:27 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
That's an interesting article. Portland developers can build buildings without car parking, but only in areas close to good public transit, and it's a good deal for the developers, because the building costs less to build, or they can build more units on smaller lots, and there's a shortage of housing, so people are still willing to rent an apartment with no parking, even if they own a car. However, because some residents of these no car-park buildings still own cars, they end up parking on the street causing congestion. Some neighbours are annoyed by this, or just don't like these new buildings

So now they're debating adjusting the rules.

Sounds like just normal growing pains as the city's plans to encourage density and less car usage evolve over time.
Yes, that was precisely the point of my post. Simply not producing infrastructure for a given mode doesn't actually prevent people from wanting (and insisting) on using that mode--as Portland seems to be learning. If the OP complex is desirable for other reasons, it is likely that people will move in who own cars. And they will find someplace nearby for those cars.
Old 07-17-13, 04:21 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Are you kidding? This forum frequently reads like carsaregod.org!
The irony is deeper than that -- part of the reason I posted that was to see who would say what you said FIRST, lol; thanks, pard, you saved me a wait...!

carsaregod.org....LOVE IT!
Old 07-17-13, 04:29 PM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like this article cherry picked a one sided argument about 1 neighborhood and tried to apply it to a whole city... unsuccessfully at that. The whole premise is that 'people are angry and want more parking' without taking a poll; they're just interviewing individuals. Eventually they come out and state the facts:

"On-street parking also does not appear to be that difficult to find on Division Street, the epicenter of the apartment boom. Ample spaces were found during three recent visits to the neighborhood, on different days and at different times."

I don't dismiss this article because it's from Fox. I do dismiss it because it's a poorly one-sided opinion piece.

Furthermore, reducing the convenience of a resource definitively reduces the usage of that resource, as the costs involved increase. It applies to cars just like everything else, you can't change economics.
Old 07-17-13, 05:29 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I believe this might be to root cause of the issue.
Ryan McGuire, 30, moved to Portland from St. Paul, Minn., last year and lives in the 50-unit Irvington Garden Apartments. The building in northeast Portland has more than 50 bike racks but no parking.
McGuire said he and his girlfriend both have bikes and share one car. As the city survey suggests, McGuire said he keeps a car to go snowboarding and "haul stuff."
My own personal opinion is that cars should be outlawed. That would solve a lot of problems [Can I say this here? Is there a 15th amendment that protects the individual's right to over-the-top transportation?]
Old 07-18-13, 12:23 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

...Simply not producing infrastructure for a given mode doesn't actually prevent people from wanting (and insisting) on using that mode....
It could be argued that a lack of appropriate infrastructure during the last century prevented many people from using bicycles for transportation. We can only hope that the same will happen with cars in the next hundred years.

If the OP complex is desirable for other reasons, it is likely that people will move in who own cars. And they will find someplace nearby for those cars.
So what? It will only be some who will have cars, and the community will be better off because they all don't.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-18-13, 01:19 AM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How do you figure it takes extra cash to make being carfree work? Most of us save money this way.
I don't know if I so much save $$ as I do free time.
Being carfree allows me to own more of my day, instead of trading it away.
Old 07-18-13, 09:06 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I believe this might be to root cause of the issue.

My own personal opinion is that cars should be outlawed. That would solve a lot of problems [Can I say this here? Is there a 15th amendment that protects the individual's right to over-the-top transportation?]
That's why I have a car too though, that guy's quote is word for word what I would say.
We had a street car in the early 20th century that brought people to the nordic/alpine ski areas but now there's nothing. Up here I enjoy going to do xc skiing in the winter, I wouldn't be able to without the car.
Plus if I want to go on a weekend away, I have the car.

The bike is my recreation and my day to day work/shopping is on foot. Car is a luxury to go long distances.
Old 07-18-13, 09:21 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I deleted all of the Fox News comments since that type of argument belongs in P&R.

And just a reminder that we're all adults here and should be able to discuss a topic without resorting to name-calling.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-18-13, 10:59 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW I live in an apartment building, about, 35 units, built c. 1970 with one parking space per unit. I regularly see my neighbors' second and in a few cases third cars parked on the streets nearby. So yeah, putting up apartment buildings without parking spaces will create parking problems, but those problems are probably there already in a lot of places where there are no buildings without parking spaces.

In urban areas cars seem to max out whatever infrastructure is created for them. And if all the bikes in the US were to disappear overnight, the same streets, highways, and parking lots that are congested or maxed out now would remain congested or maxed out, if not even worse.
Old 07-18-13, 11:15 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
Car is a luxury to go long distances.
I don't have a car. My Lear jet is my only luxury
Old 07-18-13, 12:57 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Yes, that was precisely the point of my post. Simply not producing infrastructure for a given mode doesn't actually prevent people from wanting (and insisting) on using that mode--as Portland seems to be learning. If the OP complex is desirable for other reasons, it is likely that people will move in who own cars. And they will find someplace nearby for those cars.
The two complainants quoted in the article (Golden and Varga) were both at least as much concerned about the size of the buildings as about the parking issue, and whenever you build something new, some people in the area are going to be opposed to it, so I'm not even sure the parking is the real issue here - Fox may have overstated that part of the story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.