Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Birthday Ride cut Short

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Birthday Ride cut Short

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 07:07 AM
msujmccorm

Bikes: Madone 5.9, 1980 Raleigh SGP,Trek 3500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birthday Ride cut Short

Friday was my birthday so Sunday was the day for the 53 mile birthday ride. I met 2 of my cycling buddies at 7:00 am and set out on the Tammany Trace near Slidell LA. About 14 miles out we hear a "crack". I thought my saddle had somehow slipped but I looked down and saw this.
Bike is a 4 month old Domane 2.0 and never been dropped or crashed.
I guess I'll be at the Trek dealer today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140706_090934_resized.jpg (95.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg
frame crack.jpg (95.5 KB, 201 views)
Old 07-07-14, 08:10 AM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Wow, that stinks. Hopefully Trek will stand behind it and get you a new frame pronto.

Old 07-07-14, 08:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've worked with composites a fair amount doing work for the military, Boeing, NASA and others. I'm not an engineer but I'm fairly knowledgeable about different areas of manufacturing. A main principal is to distribute loads. The carbon seat posts I see being sold do not seem to have any means to distribute loads. Actually, aluminum should be treated much the same but is probably not as critical, as least in the short term. Something as simple as cutting a seat post on a steep slant would relieve point loading quite a bit. A slit in the post running laterally would spread loads also and I don't see why these things are not done.
Old 07-07-14, 11:31 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bummer...
Was the post in deeper then the minimum insertion point?
Old 07-07-14, 11:43 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
HOLY COW!!!! Cow-----C-O-W, e-I-e-I-oh

BIG TIME Bummer

berner-logical BTW-I have an ISP frame
Old 07-07-14, 12:12 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Wow.
Old 07-07-14, 12:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Glad you didn't get hut.

BTW.. Happy Birthday.
Old 07-07-14, 12:44 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
As you know our "personal frames" get more brittle after 50.
Old 07-07-14, 05:17 PM
msujmccorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS said no problem, a new frame is on the way. They said they have never seen a frame break there. They hope to have me rolling again in about a week. The seat post was well within the max and I think the seatpost is all that kept it from breaking completely off. We came to a small bridge on the MUP and there was a small elevation change and it cracked. When I bought the bike I went with the alum. because I was nervous about carbon cracking. Oh well, all should be fine, I'll ride the mountain bike for a week.
Old 07-07-14, 05:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Wow. What an odd location for a frame failure!

Edit to add: Maybe not!

IsoSpeed decoupler

Trek engineers designed a decoupler that allows the seat tube to rotate independently from the top-tube-to-seatstay junction, increasing vertical compliance to twice that of our nearest competitor, without compromising pedaling efficiency. Result: you can ride harder, longer.
I have to say ... although I think the bike manufacturers have my demographic (50+ endurance rider) in their cross hairs, I wonder if they go too far with this stuff. On the DMD earlier this year, I heard a lot of creaking Volagis (which also separate the top and seat tube).

I rode an Al frame Schwinn for years, including 300 mile rides and the like and had no complaints about the ride on typical roads. It was only when I decided to do the 508 solo that I decided to spring for a bike with a carbon fiber frame, and I only did that because some of the roads on the 508 are truly abysmal (Kelbaker road is awful).

I rather like a bike to have a lively ride ... the last thing I want is complete isolation from road. My carbon bike (a 2008 Scott CR-1) is reputed to have a stiffer ride than most, and I think the ride is about perfect.

Is "smoother" really always better? I'd rather ride in a Porsche than an 80s vintage Caddy.

Last edited by Biker395; 07-07-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I give myself little leeway on completing things like a birthday ride. However, I think breaking your bike qualifies for a justified deferral. (Will you have to do 53.04 miles next week?)
Old 07-08-14, 03:35 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. This break must have been some sort of fluke manufacturing defect. What a bummer.
Old 07-08-14, 03:55 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
This is why I ride old, steel bikes. If they've lasted that long, you know there are no latent defects.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-08-14, 07:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Nobody asked, so I will. What do you weigh? Or more specifically, do you weight more than 200#s.?

Not that it changes anything since bike guaranties don't have weight limits, but a heavy rider on a fairly long post puts a decent amount of torque into the frame, rotating around the support at the seat lug. Setback posts increase this, so a tall heavy rider on a set-back post is a triple whammy.

When you buy a high end SPORTS bike, you're not buying a truck. Weight is at a premium, so designers have to consider the weight of their target riders, and design for them. Building stronger would not only weigh more, but alter the ride so with lighter riders the bike would ride like an empty truck.

Not saying this wasn't a simple defect, but if the OP weighs much more than 175#s or so, it wouldn't be totally unexpected.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-08-14, 08:17 PM
msujmccorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5' 11" 215lbs. I checked the odometer and the bike had 486 miles. LBS called this afternoon and said Trek didn't have any more frames in orange and white like mine. They offered black/green or a 2013 red/white. I asked what they were going to do about trim,etc, since my seat post clamp, stem cap, and headset trim ring are orange. Am I being unreasonable to not want to put orange trim on a black/green bike? I don't want the 2013 because the resale value might not be as much. I don't think I should come out of this any worse than I was before the ride.
Old 07-08-14, 09:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by msujmccorm
5' 11" 215lbs..... .
This is why I asked. No offense to you, because it's not your fault. But selling sport bikes designed for riders weighing 164#s or less to you is like selling a sports car for hauling plywood. NOBODY in the industry wants to address the idea of weight limits, or even design loads, and less than nobody wants to design and build sports bikes around the needs of larger riders.

IMO- larger riders should consider larger frames, closer to the high end limit, so there's less exposed post, and reduced torque stress on the seat tube at the bottom of the post. Your kind of failure is fairly rare, but predictable under the circumstances.

As for the color, cosmetic and resale value issues, I'm out of it, and you'll have to work it out with Trek and the dealer. Given the newness of the bike, they should go as far as they can to satisfy you. It's not like somebody asking to replace a 10 year old frame under warranty.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-08-14, 10:06 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
5' 11" 215lbs. I checked the odometer and the bike had 486 miles. LBS called this afternoon and said Trek didn't have any more frames in orange and white like mine. They offered black/green or a 2013 red/white. I asked what they were going to do about trim,etc, since my seat post clamp, stem cap, and headset trim ring are orange. Am I being unreasonable to not want to put orange trim on a black/green bike? I don't want the 2013 because the resale value might not be as much. I don't think I should come out of this any worse than I was before the ride.
You are being very reasonable IMO. That was a dangerous flaw that could have sent you to the hospital. Trek should offer you a new bike- any model you want.
Old 07-09-14, 06:04 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Maybe you left it out in the sun and it asploded.

Old 07-09-14, 11:24 AM
PRus

Bikes: SEVEN Elium SLX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't think you are unreasonable.
If you have to make a color compromise ask for the black/white carbon frame.
Old 07-09-14, 11:32 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They should make it right no matter it what is takes. If they don't have what you want, they should offer up the next model to make it right.
Old 07-09-14, 11:42 AM
RamahX

Bikes: Lemond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mvcrash
They should make it right no matter it what is takes. If they don't have what you want, they should offer up the next model to make it right.
this +1
Old 07-09-14, 12:00 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry your birthday ride was cut short but thankfully you weren't hurt!

Considering the failure, you've now got me wondering about my new bike (see photos) that also has a sloping top tube and a long-ish seat post. I did buy an alloy (not carbon) post, but still, I worry about the loads on the carbon seat tube. I weigh in at 157 so not quite as heavy as you, so that's in my favor, I suppose. Hopefully this isn't a major design flaw with this type of frame design though.

I've been riding the bike for about a year now (almost 4,000 miles on it so far) and it's still good . . . but I will pay more attention to the seat tube area now!

Rick / OCRR
Attached Images
Old 07-09-14, 12:18 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Sorry your birthday ride was cut short but thankfully you weren't hurt!

Considering the failure, you've now got me wondering about my new bike (see photos) that also has a sloping top tube and a long-ish seat post. I did buy an alloy (not carbon) post, but still, I worry about the loads on the carbon seat tube. I weigh in at 157 so not quite as heavy as you, so that's in my favor, I suppose. Hopefully this isn't a major design flaw with this type of frame design though.

I've been riding the bike for about a year now (almost 4,000 miles on it so far) and it's still good . . . but I will pay more attention to the seat tube area now!

Rick / OCRR
The interesting thing about her bike is that it appears to have an Al frame, making the failure even more unusual.

But I don't think the sloping top tube was any part of the problem ... I think it's because of the elastomers they apparently used to isolate the seat tube motion from the top tube and seat stays. Interesting design, though.

Wait a minute ... 157? Wow!

Old 07-09-14, 01:40 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
But I don't think the sloping top tube was any part of the problem ...
I hope you're right Vic, since my thought was that the combination of the sloping top tube, the longer seatpost (more leverage) that design requires and the relatively thin wall of the seat tube might be a fatal combination.

Hopefully not!

Yes, 157 since I've put on a couple of pounds. I was 155 for DMD and every little bit of weight off helps!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-09-14, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maybe your Trek dealer will up tick a deal to a Carbon Madone frame., from the alpha Aluminum ..

I think they are trying cutting edge stuff to make a really Light aluminum frame ..

Co worker at the shop had one .. dropped screwdriver hit the top tube, they dent easily too..

at 5' 11" 215lbs. they may see a lot of you , frame will remain guaranteed replacement ,

but it may be a series of the aluminum ones you go through.

we have a local favorite like that . Played the offensive line in college football ,
now a monster, doing triatalons & training on the bike(s)

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-09-14 at 02:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.