Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trailforks app, anyone?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Trailforks app, anyone?

Old 10-26-18, 06:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Trailforks app, anyone?

anyone use the "Trailforks" application? friend of mine just said he started poking around with his Android. doesn't cover rail trails it's mostly MTB rides
Old 10-26-18, 10:24 AM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My phone is too old for me to use apps when I'm riding, but I have Trailforks on my iPad. I also have the MTB Project and Singletracks Lite apps. MTB Project is the one I'm most likely to use.

Last edited by Pendergast; 10-26-18 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-27-18, 05:58 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The apps are all user updated as to trails, once you have the app you can add any trail that is not there. I use trail forks and MTBproject apps on my phone, but not usually while riding. I believe you can use Strava and update it to TrailForks. Not sure, the person I ride with most regularly updates TrailForks so I have never learned just how. I do use all three site's web pages on my PC to search for trails to ride, read reviews, and check conditions (if anyone has updated them recently) before heading out.
Old 10-28-18, 11:05 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I use Trailforks and the MTB Project apps. My only complaint is sometimes the information is hard to find for specific trails in areas with a large network of trails. They tend to list the trail elevation and distance as part of a suggested route covering many trails rather than each one individually.

Other than that I really like the real time tracking through the trail as you go. Simply open the app and find the area and trails you will be riding when you have cell service. The maps will automatically download onto your phone and are available while offline. Just keep the app open as you ride.

Between the 2 apps I can find just about any trail I am looking for. Although I'm sure it isn't all the given trails in any particular area, just the more popular ones. Never tried to update the trails so I can't comment on that.
Old 11-03-18, 05:50 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I use it at a few places and is quite good when things have been uploaded well. A few places here in CT and Kingdom Trails in VT. It is nice when you can pull up your location and figure out where you want to go.
Old 11-27-18, 02:52 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live on trail forks, post video on trail forks. Even puts the maps onto my computer when I am exploring.

Couldn't really get into MTB project. However I live in the PNW and trailforks rules the coop here. I love how you as a participant can help rate trails. I often find trails ranked in awkward ways depending on their location. Rated are really greens or blues etc. Trail forks also has rating for climbing and overall technical making it a little more reasonable to understand if you are hunting difficult trails (for your discipline)
Old 11-28-18, 02:47 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, trail forks is great especially when travelling to new trails. I used to use MTB project but trail forks seemed more comprehensive

Also, holy blast from the past^

Last edited by C Law; 11-28-18 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 02:50 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C Law
Yeah, trail forks is great especially when travelling to new trails. I uses to use MTB project but trail forks seemed more comprehensive

Also, holy blast from the past^
.... decided to start popping in once in a while. Its been far too long.