Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for new MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Looking for new MTB

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 06:24 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Looking for new MTB

Been looking to replace a rigid Specialized Hardrock Sport, and came upon this:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/29er-mountain-bikes/fantom29_elite_xvi.htm

This bike is a hardtail, and looks like it has an awesome spec, but I'd like to get some other opinions on it.

Also, I'm wondering if I should get a full suspension bike instead? The bike will be used for 90% single track, but will probably see a bunch of 20-60 mi gravel rides too. Any thoughts? I really need some kind of suspension esp for single track, been feeling a bit beat up after riding rigid.

Dave
Old 12-27-18, 08:16 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Full suspension won’t be very fun on 20-60 mile gravel rides. I would keep your hard tail for those.
Head to your LBS and look at some full suspension there and see what they recommend. You should be able to get a good deal on last year’s models.
Old 12-28-18, 07:29 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Motobecane HTs are nice bikes, my son has one. But if you are wanting FS, even the best HT will probably not satisfy that urge. And I ride FS all the time, even on gravel and pavement. Just add some air to stiffen the shock and add air to the tires if it feels too soft. One of the least expensive FS bikes I would recommend is the Giant Stance 2. I still have my 2015 Stance and I use it for gravel and pavement. I now have an enduro bike for single track. But as was said, check bike shops to see what left over bikes they have on sale.
Old 12-28-18, 08:18 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by onyerleft
The bike you're interested in falls into two categories: (1) old school and (2) old, old school. There's a reason it's deeply discounted. PASS.

BD has other bikes that aren't so long in the tooth and that represent a good value. I would encourage you to look closely at those.
What's wrong with it?
Old 12-30-18, 02:16 PM
KUBIKUS

Bikes: A loot of Bikes :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grubetown
Full suspension won’t be very fun on 20-60 mile gravel rides. I would keep your hard tail for those.
Head to your LBS and look at some full suspension there and see what they recommend. You should be able to get a good deal on last year’s models.
Absolutely right. To save a lot of money, it is every time a good deal with last year's models. I did the same in the past.
Old 12-31-18, 02:40 AM
tamnalan

Bikes: BF Pakit, Early 90s Merlin road bike, Marin Hawk Hill 2,some old Cannondales & Fuji road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a full suspension bike - I had been using a Schwinn High Sierra no-suspension bike I got in the 1980s. I'm 60ish now and my back needs the full suspension. I'm gone with the Schwinn.

Performance Bike's retail shops are apparently going out of business. I got a 2019 Marin Hawk Hill 2 discounted to $1350. It's a great bike right out of the box. I wouldn't look forward to 60+ miles of road road pedaling on it, but more because of those fat soft Scwhalbe Hans Damph tires than the suspension. It doesn't bob much and it's easy to change settings on the trail. The bike just feels "plush". I like it.

There is a lot of new technology! Wow. I love the disc brakes and the dropper seat post and the single front ring and the way the shifter works (push-push) and the notion of tubeless tires and the ... "Boost spacing"? "Thruaxle"? I had no idea what those terms meant.

The 29er tires look good. The Marin came with 27.5, which seem fine to me. I was riding 26".

Last edited by tamnalan; 12-31-18 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 07:13 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by tamnalan
I just bought a full suspension bike - I had been using a Schwinn High Sierra no-suspension bike I got in the 1980s. I'm 60ish now and my back needs the full suspension. I'm gone with the Schwinn.

Performance Bike's retail shops are apparently going out of business. I got a 2019 Marin Hawk Hill 2 discounted to $1350. It's a great bike right out of the box. I wouldn't look forward to 60+ miles of road road pedaling on it, but more because of those fat soft Scwhalbe Hans Damph tires than the suspension. It doesn't bob much and it's easy to change settings on the trail. The bike just feels "plush". I like it.

There is a lot of new technology! Wow. I love the disc brakes and the dropper seat post and the single front ring and the way the shifter works (push-push) and the notion of tubeless tires and the ... "Boost spacing"? "Thruaxle"? I had no idea what those terms meant.

The 29er tires look good. The Marin came with 27.5, which seem fine to me. I was riding 26".
I have heard good things about the Hawk Hill also! You bring up an interesting point with the new technology. Just listing a few changes from my current bike that are significant upgrades:
1x drivetrain
Front sus
Rear sus
Disc brakes
Dropper posts
Threaded/tapered forks

The whole bike is obsolete lol. Runs great, just a bit painful on single track.

What would you say is a must have list for a new bike? I'm trying to figure out what some of this means too. (Boost spacing , maxles, thru axles, etc).

Dave
Old 12-31-18, 08:26 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171

What would you say is a must have list for a new bike? I'm trying to figure out what some of this means too. (Boost spacing , maxles, thru axles, etc).

Dave
Air shock and full air fork, thru axle, are the big ones. Boost is nice but not really needed. I personally feel a dropper post, and clamp on grips are must haves (but that can be added later).