Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

looking for something with a bit more off-road capability...

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-18-15, 09:14 PM
smitty.west

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i picked up a 2013 surly disc trucker two years ago after doing lots of research. i'd previously owned a norco wolverine, but got rid of it after getting the surly. as soon as i got rid of it, i missed it because with the surly i was pretty well limited to roads and very light trails. i'm now selling the surly, which has served me terrifically, in favour of something with a tad more off-road capability. i'm right at 400lbs and am 6'3". i'm not looking for a mountain bike as majority of my riding is still done on roads and trails, but i want something that can take a bit more of a beating for those times i decide to venture onto some heavier trails with my mountain biking friends. i want something that, while doing well off-road, is no slouch on pavement. i'd like to keep with discs and go either touring or cyclocross. i've got my eyes on a couple of bikes, but am not sure if they'd be able to support me. one's the new trek 920 (which is what i think i might end up with), the other's the cannondale caad x disc ultegra (or whatever the equivalent for this year is called). my concern with them is that they don't feature 36 spoke rims, though i've been told that spoke count doesn't necessarily account for/yield rigidity. the 920 especially surprised me with a 28 spoke- cannondale is 32. i'm not the biggest fan of bar-ends, but if a touring bike's a better for me i'd probably invest in brifters later on (if it has everything else going for it). i generally do about 20-30km when i ride, but am working my way up. not doing any loaded touring for the time being. i'm completely open to any and all suggestions you might have for other bikes- feedback re: the aforementioned two bikes would be greatly appreciated as well.
Old 05-18-15, 10:15 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Straggler, Salsa Warbird
Old 05-19-15, 03:55 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
What about the Disc Trucker isn't working for you? IIRC it can take pretty big tires, a cross bike is likely to have smaller tires than the 700x37 that come with the disc trucker.

FYI not many off the shelf bikes are going to feature 36h wheels, unless you go for something designed for loaded touring like the Surly you have.
Old 05-19-15, 04:20 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Salsa Fargo
Old 05-19-15, 05:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
What about the Disc Trucker isn't working for you? IIRC it can take pretty big tires, a cross bike is likely to have smaller tires than the 700x37 that come with the disc trucker.
My first thought exactly. I have ridden my LHT fully loaded on some rough mountain roads in Montana. I have also done D2R2 on it, which is a mostly dirt randonneur ride in MA.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1951.jpg (98.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2127.jpg (101.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-19-15 at 05:16 AM.