Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

BOOST Quandry

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

BOOST Quandry

Old 12-19-18, 03:08 PM
onyerleft

Bikes: All of your bicycles are belong to me

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
BOOST Quandry

Here's my dilemma: I look to the collective wisdom of this subforum for guidance, and thank you in advance.

There is an end-of-the-year clearance hardtail that is perfect for me (1 x 11, Rockshox, etc.) except that it's not BOOST. It's a good deal, but not a killer deal. I won't be able to use the bike until the warmer months. I also don't see running tires wider than 2.2. Should I spring for this bike, or wait and buy a bike that uses the BOOST strandard?
Old 12-19-18, 03:32 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How heavy are you, how aggressive are you? How much do you cause deflection in your rims now?

Those will tell you if boost is needed. I warp wheels just by looking at them funny so boost is a requirement. Heck I blew up half my tire in a berm going full speed down a mountain... so boost is needed. Is it needed for everyone all the time. No.
Old 12-21-18, 09:15 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
How heavy are you, how aggressive are you? How much do you cause deflection in your rims now?

Those will tell you if boost is needed. I warp wheels just by looking at them funny so boost is a requirement. Heck I blew up half my tire in a berm going full speed down a mountain... so boost is needed. Is it needed for everyone all the time. No.

How does boost keep rims from warping?
Old 12-21-18, 10:33 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s View Post
How does boost keep rims from warping?
Wider hub allows for wider rims, which suits the newer bigger wheels. (as your wheels get bigger, they need a bigger base) From a pure conjecture POV, I have been able to ride, relatively aggressively, a 28 hole rim boost rim/hub for almost a year in some very rough terrain. I had very few spokes break. Traditionally I had ridden 36 hole downhill hubs/rims (originally narrower) and would consistently have to fix broken spokes. So in the old days, I would have an extremely heavy rear wheel, so the wider everything lets me shave some weight on my rotational mass.

Personally, as a heavy weight, I also notice a lot less deflection (wheel wavering side to side within the constraints of the rear triangle) when riding, the wheelset is staying true while riding in rough stuff, meaning, where I point the wheel the wheel goes. With my older bikes I always had my rear tire deflecting left and right as I maneuvered the bike. That deflection (not to mention drops/jumps and casing) cause the warping by over extending or compressing the spokes. Now that my deflection is limited, I see less breaks, even on lower spoke count boost wheels.

https://blog.bikeminded.com/wider-is-better-hubs/

Quick blog post by some random, which is really about as useful as me say "I feel the difference". It makes sense in my head, If you ever want to stabilize anything, you make it wider. For reference I am 6'5, 270 and ride on the north shore of BC and surrounding mountains. So your mileage may vary haha
Old 12-22-18, 12:44 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 80 Posts
I would not let a non-boost standard stop you from getting it. You can still run as wide of a rim and tire as the frame and fork will clear. Chances are that the frame will clear as big of a tire as anyone will want to run for the intended purpose. Almost any new (non-plus-size) frame will fit at least a 2.4 in the rear and 2.5 in the fork. Does it at least have a through axle on the fork?

To clear up something that has been said..... Yes, Boost spacing does arguably build a stronger wheel, due to the wider flange spacing, but that is independent of the rim size. Boost hubs do not "allow" wider rims. The two have little to do with each other, other than they are both (boost spacing and wider rims) becoming popular to use, so you see them together in newer wheelsets. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Boost rim". Not sure what would make something a “boost” rim. You can put a fat bike rim on a standard 135mm hub if you want (Pugsly uses a 135mm hub with an 80mm wide rim).

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-22-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-23-18, 08:16 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
To clear up something that has been said..... Yes, Boost spacing does arguably build a stronger wheel, due to the wider flange spacing, but that is independent of the rim size. Boost hubs do not "allow" wider rims. The two have little to do with each other, other than they are both (boost spacing and wider rims) becoming popular to use, so you see them together in newer wheelsets. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Boost rim". Not sure what would make something a “boost” rim. You can put a fat bike rim on a standard 135mm hub if you want (Pugsly uses a 135mm hub with an 80mm wide rim).
Thank you, that's good to know, I had assumed they were connected. Now that you have mentioned it, I have two boost bikes with two different width rims, should have clued in.

Merci
Old 12-25-18, 03:19 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I see no reason why Boost spacing would have any bearing whatsoever on a bike decision for me. If a bike has it, great. But 135/100 mm hubs have worked just fine for me since about 1987.
Old 12-28-18, 05:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 73 Posts
You don't need Boost. Get the bike if it's a good deal.