Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Selling off my MAN room to make a fitness room..need help

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Selling off my MAN room to make a fitness room..need help

Old 01-31-06, 08:33 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '13 Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so I am selling off my VERY little used home theater (man is it nice but we use it like 3 times a year). The thought is that with the money (should be getting about $4500 out of the sale of items in the room) and the new space (11x13, wall to wall berber) we could make it an exercise room. We would bring in a smaller TV to watch cycling or exercise DVDs bring in the trainer and get a second one (so the wife and I can ride at the same time). But that still leaves room and we were thinking of getting a bowflex for "weight" training.

Any thoughts on this idea? Bowflex a good way to go (thinking Ultimate 2) or should I be looking at some other machine? Should we include something else in this room?

Thanks
Old 01-31-06, 08:48 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Smith machine that works really well for those who don't have a spotter. I've never used a bowflex but I hear good things about it.
Old 01-31-06, 09:05 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Concept 2 rower

Thank me later.
Old 01-31-06, 09:11 AM
*new*guy
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
I have a Smith machine that works really well for those who don't have a spotter. I've never used a bowflex but I hear good things about it.
Good call. A smith rack, a few hundred pounds of plates, a good assortment of dumbells and a bench that can be adjusted to do incline/decline as well as flat and you've got pretty much everthing you'd need.
Old 01-31-06, 09:14 AM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i second the rower suggestion...

another suggestion: a set of quality dumbells perhaps is the best bang-for-buck and highest roi strength/fitness equipment investment possible....

and a good mat for doing crunches, pilates-type stuff....
Old 01-31-06, 09:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
+3 for the rower

I've only tried bowflex once, but it was alright. Feels a lot different than doing freeweight or machine work because it seems to increase in resistance as you do a rep.
Old 01-31-06, 10:10 AM
BeeTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+4

Concept 2 Rower, incline bench, assorted dumbells with a rack and a curl bar...maybe a spin cycle for the wife.

http://www.concept2.com/05/default.asp?bhcp=1

Sounds nice...what's the membership fee?

(My MAN room has a drumset, guitar, bass, PA and microphones. I know...it's only Rock and Roll, but I like it!)

Last edited by BeeTL; 01-31-06 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 10:18 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '13 Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeTL
+4

Concept 2 Rower, incline bench, assorted dumbells with a rack and a curl bar...maybe a spin cycle for the wife.

Sounds nice...what's the membership fee?

(My MAN room has a drumset, guitar, bass, PA and microphones. I know...it's only Rock and Roll, but I like it!)

Hmm so you guys are really serious about this rowing deal huh? The wife and I will both have Cycleops Trainers (she will get my Magnito and I will be getting a Fluid^2) so that is covered. I have a cheapo weight bench currenly but that would need replaced...I do have about 200lbs of Cap free weights. My concern is working all areas and actaully getting my wife to use the stuff. I don't think she would with free weights.

Current man room has a 50" HDTV, full surround sound, leather sectional couch etc. Wife has a co-worker that has said if we ever wanted to sell to let him know...well we gave him the $4500 price tag, hope he is really serious.
Old 01-31-06, 10:23 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Cannondale R700; Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Bowflex and it works well. Definitely different than free weights, but it's still a good workout. Much easier to switch between excercises than the old Soloflex machine I used to have. I think it provides a good counterbalance to all the aerobic conditioning you get from cycling and it lets you keep a little upper body definition. It may work for cycling, but my wife doesn't want me to look like Tyler Hamilton.
Old 01-31-06, 10:24 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
smith rack over the bowflex! we had a crossbow (like a bowflex) and returned it! the negative resistance was just weird... we replaced it with a smith rack and free weights! (our smith rack has a thingy that you set so that the weights can't crush you)

we also have dumbbells and a rack... (i would recommend these over the smith rack if you only want to get one or the other... but that's just what i use more/most! mostly depends on you and your wife's workout style!)

don't get too small of a tv... and if you need to... put it on the wall.. we got a wall mount and it's awsome! even has a rack underneath to hold the dvd player!

if you are going to be doing weights... how about a section of mirror to check form!?
Old 01-31-06, 10:26 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
That's what the mirrors are for? I just use em to check out the gun show
Old 01-31-06, 10:26 AM
digger

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 71 Posts
I bought a BodyCraft last year, I like it. http://www.bodycraft.com/mini.tpl

I plan to invest in a set of dumbells soon.

I have used the Bowflex quite a few times, and it works well. I didn't like it at first, as it wasn't smooth. But after I got use to it, and developed more strength, I started to like it more.

I didn't get the Bowflex as it was $1500 more than the BodyCraft, which was about $1400 CDN.

I also have a treadmill, bike trainer, 55cm exercise ball, ab rower, and mat.

I like the ability to NOT have to go out to the gym, I can exercise when I want, where what I want and not have to wait or deal with crowds. I recommend a home gym to anyone who is thinking about it (but you gotta use it!!).

Digger
Old 01-31-06, 10:28 AM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the same thing you did, replace a family room to a work out room. I have my trainer in there, plus a treadmill, plus free weights and a step master. I was also thinking of getting bow flex but what change my mind is that I get more motivated when I go to the gym so I used thier equipment instead but what i really wish is that I didnt live in NH and could train outside every single day!
Old 01-31-06, 10:28 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
My concern is working all areas and actaully getting my wife to use the stuff. I don't think she would with free weights.
would she use free weights/dumbbells with videos? there are some really fun beginner ones out there (and even short... 10-15 minute ones!) to start out with! and of course.. fun (and not so fun) intermediate and advanced ones too!!

i'll do an a$$-kicking advanced video over a trainer workout anyday maybe that's why i don't get any faster on the bike! lol!
Old 01-31-06, 10:31 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
That's what the mirrors are for? I just use em to check out the gun show

MEN!
Old 01-31-06, 10:38 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
I did the same thing you did, replace a family room to a work out room.
i'm jealous of you guys (and gals) that have room in the house! lol! i guess i coulda taken over the tv room... but it's kinda small for 2 bikes on trainers and all the other equipment.. so we took over the gararge for fitness!

we covered the floor with padded puzzle mats, have the smith machine out there... and of course all the bikes and bike stuff.... my "fitness" wall consists of the free weights, my mini barbell, steps (2 sizes), dvd's ankle weights, medicine balls, matts, yoga bricks, bands (another great way to work out!) push up stands, pull up bar, etc...

oh... a must have for a cyclist: a balance ball! it rocks for core. (pikes on the ball! ).... it rocks for stretching! GOT to have a ball! (mine's 55 cm cuz i'm short)

if we ever build a house... it will have a HUGE fitness room!

Originally Posted by digger
I like the ability to NOT have to go out to the gym, I can exercise when I want, where what I want and not have to wait or deal with crowds. I recommend a home gym to anyone who is thinking about it (but you gotta use it!!).
and ditto that! i just have to walk through the door to the garage.... i can leave the door open and my "trainers" (the cats and dog) are out there keeping me company! i know if i had to get dresses... get in the car.... go to a gym... to work out.. it wouldn't happen... not at 4:00 in the morning! and i am a morning exerciser.. if i try to leave it til evening.. it ain't happening!

Last edited by caligurl; 01-31-06 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 10:46 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caligurl
don't get too small of a tv... and if you need to... put it on the wall.. we got a wall mount and it's awsome! even has a rack underneath to hold the dvd player!
Well this is still up in the air. I currently have a 25" TV in front of my trainer (I think it is 25" may only be 20"), but we also have a 32" set upstairs which may come down and we may purchase a 42" HDTV to go upstairs.

I guess I need to talk to the wife about a smith machine setup.
Old 01-31-06, 10:49 AM
BeeTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Hmm so you guys are really serious about this rowing deal huh? The wife and I will both have Cycleops Trainers (she will get my Magnito and I will be getting a Fluid^2) so that is covered. I have a cheapo weight bench currenly but that would need replaced...I do have about 200lbs of Cap free weights. My concern is working all areas and actaully getting my wife to use the stuff. I don't think she would with free weights.[...]
The rower will work ALL major muscle groups except the pecs, and you can cover that with the dumbells and bench. Depending on how you train, the rower can help build slowtwitch AND fasttwitch muscle mass.

I meant light dumbells, from maybe 1 lb. (for her) up to 40 (for you). Everything I've ever read suggests that you can build muscle doing isometric and yoga type work, but the light dumbells will allow a reasonable upper body workout without the need for heavy duty spotting for either of you.

Last edited by BeeTL; 01-31-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 10:49 AM
Ozrider

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, you need a balance ball. It's the best way to work your core. You can do crunches on it. It's good because it helps isolate particular muscle groups you want to work on.
I would also go with dumbells. While there is nothing wrong with the Bowflex, I was told by a trainer that there is a layer of muscle tissue that develops best with free weights. Something to do with balance. Another nice thing about dumbells is that you lower the chance of injury doing bench presses and other things. If you get tired and drop a weight, you are most likely not going to hurt yourself.
I would also suggest a bench. Again, it expands what you can in terms of weight lifting. Make sure it inclines.
And frankly, the Bowflex is expensive. You can gradually buy more dumbells as you get stronger. Unless you are planning on being Ahnold, you don't need really heavy weights. Remember, any upper body weight you develop is just more weight you have to ride with.
I would also recommend an exercise band - you know, one of those springy rubber things. They are not bad and you can do lots of exercises with them. They are particularly nice when you travel. Easy to pack.
As for getting your wife to start, get light weights at first and don't push her. Let her go at her own pace.
Old 01-31-06, 10:58 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeTL
I meant light dumbells, from maybe 1 lb. (for her) up to 40 (for you). Everything I've ever read suggests that you can build muscle doing isometric and yoga type work, but the light dumbells will allow a reasonable upper body workout without the need for heavy duty spotting for either of you.
even as a beginneri never had 1 pound weights! she can start at a minimum of 3 (5's and 8's)and work up from there if she wants to....

when i bought a pair of 3 pounders that i needed to put my toes on for a different style of deadlifts with toes raised... even the old guy at target made fun of them!
Old 01-31-06, 11:12 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
About 10 years ago we sold off our pool table in our rec room to make room for a smith machine, a treadmill, set of barbells, and a rack of dumbells. During the year, each year, we'll go through phases where we transform the smith machine and the treadmill into clothes racks. You know the cycle.....

Last edited by roadfix; 01-31-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 11:34 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
weight bench and barbells are way more space and cost efficient than any sort of weight machine or bowflex, and free wieghts give you advantages you can't get on a machine. With the extra cash, and space, you can get a rowing machine or treadmill for cross training.

By the way, are you sure you're going to get $4500 for your used home thetre componets. The prices of electronics, most notably big screen TV's are dropping dramatically. I have a 57" Pioneer Elite HDTV a few years old. $7000 new, I doubt I'd get a grand for it used now.
Old 01-31-06, 11:47 AM
Chicocreole

Bikes: Old Steel?, Currently building up a sweet Deda Aluminum Carbon frame that I will break as soon as it is done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Concept 2 rower

Thank me later.

Thank me now
go with a WaterRower www.waterrower.com
Old 01-31-06, 11:52 AM
Chicocreole

Bikes: Old Steel?, Currently building up a sweet Deda Aluminum Carbon frame that I will break as soon as it is done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend a adjustable bench and those bowflex adjustable dumbell things they'll save space and money.

I used to be in the health & fitness industry and the only thing that didn't turn into clothes racks were rowers, and those dumbell thingies- save the money and use it elsewhere trust me home gyms are a waste oh mullah!
Old 01-31-06, 11:54 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
By the way, are you sure you're going to get $4500 for your used home thetre componets. The prices of electronics, most notably big screen TV's are dropping dramatically. I have a 57" Pioneer Elite HDTV a few years old. $7000 new, I doubt I'd get a grand for it used now.
Oh I know...trust me I know. The TV was $3300 when I bought it and I am going to get $1600 for it or I wont sell it. The leather sectional was $2500 and I want $1800 for that. $200 for 5 speakers, $150 for a $300 subwoofer, $150 for a Panny XP30 (this one I wouldn't mind not selling). $600 for a $1000 Onkyo 7.1 HT receiver.

I really only need to sell the TV and the couch to make this happen...the other stuff is secondary and if I can't sell them for what I want I have no issue keeping them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.