Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

anyone used mean green for cleaning?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-24-13, 10:33 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I couldn't find simple green at walmart today, so I got this mean green. It's also an all purpose cleaner, except maybe a little more harmful, because the warning label says it's an eye irritant, and to try to avoid skin contact. anyone used this product before?
Old 07-04-19, 08:07 AM
All Terrain

Bikes: 1996 Specialized S-Works Steel, 1983 Maruishi Town and Country, 1982 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 1984 Falcon Harrier, plus a dozen more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a bunch on sale years ago and use it all the time. For my bikes, and dirty engines and stuff. Mostly I use it diluted with water. About 50 %.
Old 07-04-19, 10:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Check the material safety data sheets (MSDS) online. Most "citrus" and "natural" cleaners all use the same ingredients: water, ethoxylated alcohol, salts, a little citrus stuff for the scent and to make consumers believe there are no "chemicals" in these citrus cleansers.

You can buy a big pump spray bottle of LA's Totally Awesome Oven and Grill cleaner from Dollartree for a buck. Does pretty much the same thing, although it does smell strongly of ammonia as well. The label is orange, which probably helps buyers think it's something natural or organic or something. I've used it on my bikes' drivetrains, works fine.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-05-19, 06:23 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
simple green is nasty ****
Old 07-05-19, 06:39 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Check the material safety data sheets (MSDS) online. Most "citrus" and "natural" cleaners all use the same ingredients: water, ethoxylated alcohol, salts, a little citrus stuff for the scent and to make consumers believe there are no "chemicals" in these citrus cleansers.

You can buy a big pump spray bottle of LA's Totally Awesome Oven and Grill cleaner from Dollartree for a buck. Does pretty much the same thing, although it does smell strongly of ammonia as well. The label is orange, which probably helps buyers think it's something natural or organic or something. I've used it on my bikes' drivetrains, works fine.
And also dispose of soiled solvents properly, not just thoughtlessly down your kitchen sink.

(OMS is nice, because the crap settles to the bottom over time leaving the rest to be re-used)
Likes For Marcus_Ti: