Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cygolite Expilion 800?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cygolite Expilion 800?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 09:31 AM
shepherdsflock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Cygolite Expilion 800?

Has anyone here used the Cygolite Expilion 800? What do you think of it? I'm thinking about purchasing one.
Old 05-21-14, 02:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
No, but I have one of their taillights. That headlight looks sturdy and reliable. I'm sure it's more than bright enough. Be careful where you point it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-21-14, 03:45 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I've got there 500 and it's pretty bright. Or bright enough for me anyhow.
Old 05-21-14, 04:15 PM
Weatherby

Bikes: Too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own one but considered it before buying a couple of Fenix BT20 lights.

The Cygolite Expilion 800 spec sheet shows 3 hours runtime at 400 lumens and 9 hours at 150 lumens, which was too short runtime and not bright enough for my needs, resepectively. The power ranges are awkward.....150, 400, 550, 800. I rode with someone with a lower power version and this rider liked this light.

I understand some Cateye cyclecomputers will not work when this light is powered on. My Magicshine will do that to my cateye cyclecomputer.
Old 05-21-14, 04:47 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I can't comment on the 800. I do, however, have an Expilion 250 that I use as a helmet light. It is reliable, and I am pleased with its performance.
Old 05-24-14, 05:31 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by shepherdsflock
Has anyone here used the Cygolite Expilion 800? What do you think of it? I'm thinking about purchasing one.
Performance bike has Cygolite but is rebranded from Expilion to the Pace line of products. The Pace 750 is a better buy, pricewise. And from time to time, the Pace 750 goes on sale.
Old 05-24-14, 05:58 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Beam photos from older Cygolite models show a sharp cutoff at the edge of the beam.
Cygolite 350 backyard beam pattern
Cygolite 700 trail ride video

I used to have a Fenix flashlight attached to the bars as a front light. It has a central hot spot and a sharp cutoff to darkness at the edge of the beam. A sharp cutoff is still usable, but I really like my current Dinotte light that gradually fades off on the edge, and the beam is really wide.

Compare the cygolite 350 to the Lezyne power drive 300 in the 2013 MTBR lights shootout. The Lezyne lights up the post at the left side.

cygolite 350

Lezyne 300

Old 05-24-14, 09:06 AM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Performance bike has Cygolite but is rebranded from Expilion to the Pace line of products. The Pace 750 is a better buy, pricewise. And from time to time, the Pace 750 goes on sale.
I have the Pace 750, purchased it from Performance, for about half off when it was on sale and I had an additional coupon. For the price I paid, it is a great value in a light. However, I am not totally in love with the design as it is difficult to remove from the handlebar mount and the rubber plug that covers the USB port does not stay securely in place. These are common complaints, I believe but not necessarily deal breakers.

Now that I have a dynamo setup on my commuter/tourer I moved this light to my mountain bike, where I feel the beam pattern is more appropriate for trail riding. I currently have this light bundled with my other rechargeable headlight / tail light (Dinotte Lighting) in a craigslist posting. Again, after getting my dynamo set no looking back!
Old 05-24-14, 01:23 PM
RhythmRider

Bikes: '14 Giant Escape RX '08 GIANT Cypress

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased the Cyglolite Expilion 800 and I like it...its plenty bright...I have not experienced any issues with my computer (Cateye Urban Wireless), but Ive only been on one night ride so far! It is costly AND that rubber USB cover does not stay put! , which is not really a problem unless you're riding in the rain, but I have a plastic bag (clear, thin shower cap) to cover my dashboard.
Old 05-24-14, 01:35 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RhythmRider
I recently purchased the Cyglolite Expilion 800 and I like it...its plenty bright...I have not experienced any issues with my computer (Cateye Urban Wireless), but Ive only been on one night ride so far! It is costly AND that rubber USB cover does not stay put! , which is not really a problem unless you're riding in the rain, but I have a plastic bag (clear, thin shower cap) to cover my dashboard.
I have the (new) Cygolite Expilion 680 and it's a fantastic light, with one sizeable caveat - the mounting system.

The poorly designed mount allows the light to swivel loosely in a roughly 30 degree arc - so as you ride it will definitely wiggle from left to right. You have to use a little ingenuity to secure it (rubber bands?). Given the fair number of reviews that have highlighted that as a major fail since 2013, it's almost as if they don't care.

In most bike-light surveys, the Light & Motion Urban series are top, with the Expilions taking 2nd. I have just ordered the Urban 550 to replace the Expilion 680, which I'll pass to my wife. That said, I reiterate the 680 is a VERY good light except for the flawed mount.
Old 05-25-14, 10:15 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
There's a screw you can tighten to help prevent swiveling, but I wound up gluing mine. I used Gorilla glue but cyanoacrylate will work too.

The light is good, but the switch is a bit difficult to operate and the it's difficult to get the USB cover to seat correctly. I use a minute amount of silicone grease on the cover which helps.
Old 05-26-14, 02:48 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
There's a screw you can tighten to help prevent swiveling, but I wound up gluing mine. I used Gorilla glue but cyanoacrylate will work too.

The light is good, but the switch is a bit difficult to operate and the it's difficult to get the USB cover to seat correctly. I use a minute amount of silicone grease on the cover which helps.
Yes I forgot to mention the USB cover - it just hangs loosely off mine most of the time. Both of these flaws are pretty disappointing but not fatal.
Old 05-26-14, 08:33 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
There's a method I use to get the cover to seat. I hold the light in my left hand and angle the cover away from the light. There's a rectangular protrusion on the cover that inserts into the light and I stick the corner of it closest to me (nearest the cover's attachment) into the slot in the light while still angled outward. Then I start to push on the cover rocking it inward working the rest of the protrusion into the slot. The protrusion is bit too long so I need to compress the last bit toward the attachment point to get it into the slot. It's still kind of a pain and should be a better design.
Old 06-05-14, 02:22 PM
shepherdsflock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the Expilion 800. I have rode with it on 3 different mornings so far and I am pleased with it. It is much brighter than my previous light and it seems to recharge pretty quickly. The only thing I would change is I wish it had a wider spread of light, but hey, for $94 it's pretty good. I'm sure the two and three LED lights can really light up a wide path, but they're at least twice the cost or more.
Old 06-05-14, 02:29 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by westrid_dad
I have the Pace 750, purchased it from Performance, for about half off when it was on sale and I had an additional coupon. For the price I paid, it is a great value in a light. However, I am not totally in love with the design as it is difficult to remove from the handlebar mount and the rubber plug that covers the USB port does not stay securely in place. These are common complaints, I believe but not necessarily deal breakers.

I have a 350 mounted on a helmet-mount (and a second on my bars)... if you think the handle bar mount is bad... LOL

and yeah... the rubber plug sucks. Otherwise, I'm happy with them. One 350 gives me enough light to see an unlit paved path in near total darkness at up to about 15mph; two work when I need the extra spread.

@OP, better late than never? Congrats on your purchase!
Old 06-05-14, 04:21 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by headloss
I have a 350 mounted on a helmet-mount (and a second on my bars)... if you think the handle bar mount is bad... LOL

and yeah... the rubber plug sucks. Otherwise, I'm happy with them. One 350 gives me enough light to see an unlit paved path in near total darkness at up to about 15mph; two work when I need the extra spread.

@OP, better late than never? Congrats on your purchase!

I also run a Metro 360 on a helmet mount, and yes, you are correct. That mount won't win any awards either for ease of removal of the light. Especially in the winter if my hands are cold, I either put up with the pain, or just bring my helmet into the house to charge the light.
Old 07-09-14, 10:24 AM
TrailViewMount

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the Expilion 350 and 400 for two years now. Both super bright. I haven't used them on the bike yet, but I keep them in my car all the time and use as flashlights. Even with the Florida heat they go months between recharging. Recharging does take a long time for these.
Old 07-09-14, 04:18 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the Cyglolite Expilion 800 all last season and its brightness and wide enough footprint proved it an excellent light for the price. The bonus, for me, was the daytime flashing mode. That made it a complete package for me.