Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Asplosion Heard Around the World??**TdF Spoiler**

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Asplosion Heard Around the World??**TdF Spoiler**

Old 07-14-14, 01:44 PM
  #1  
UnfilteredDregs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, duh Bronx.
Posts: 3,578

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Asplosion Heard Around the World??**TdF Spoiler**




Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 07-14-14 at 02:11 PM.
UnfilteredDregs is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 01:45 PM
  #2  
otg 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S.E CT.
Posts: 1,504

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess he hit a pothole or a stone.
otg is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 01:46 PM
  #3  
GamecockTaco
You rode how far???
 
GamecockTaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 579

Bikes: '96 Trek 830; 06 Cervelo Soloist, 06 Scott Scale 70, 2013 Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
guessing the sun finally came out!
GamecockTaco is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:00 PM
  #4  
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Geez, I've been waiting and waiting on this thread.

Attached Images
bbeasley is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:03 PM
  #5  
Flyingblind9
Senior Member
 
Flyingblind9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 125

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad food in the middle of a ride??
Flyingblind9 is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:03 PM
  #6  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 8,171

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BOOM

Lazyass is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:10 PM
  #7  
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Posts: 7,282

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone might want to post the words possible spoiler in the thread tittle.

It's bound to happen
BoSoxYacht is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:14 PM
  #8  
egear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 172

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep reading a discussion about how Specialized claims thew bike was run over by a car or something. Another rider said Contador suddenly went down right in front of him so I am thinking the frame failed and not the car that rode over it. This should be an interesting discussion.
Scary looking isnt it. I love steel!!!
egear is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:16 PM
  #9  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,798

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
I bet he didn't buy that bike from his LBS. Damn counterfeiters.
znomit is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:17 PM
  #10  
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.
 
RJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,854

Bikes: Trek Remedy 9.8, Rivendell Appaloosa, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Trek Fuel Ex, Riv Atlantis, Niner Sir9, Trek Crockett

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6246 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Looks to me like the front wheel hit something with enough force to snap the downtube and toptube. It doesn't look like a car drove over it.
RJM is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:18 PM
  #11  
kc0bbq
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,114

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This came by on the live feed just before the end of the stage:

Questioned by letour.fr, Tinkoff-Saxo's directeur sportif Philippe Mauduit who jumped in the second team car to let a free seat to Alberto Contador after his retirement explained: “Alberto badly crashed. His right knee is seriously injured. The crash has been violent. I have his shoe with me, it's completely destroyed. According to some rumors, his bike has been broken but that's not the case. A bike fell from our racks after we fixed Nicolas Roche's bike. It's obviously too early to establish a diagnostic for Alberto. Once he'll reach the finish, he'll undergo an x-ray examination. Before pulling out, he told us that he was in an awful pain and he couldn't go any further on his bike. It's a pity because everything had gone well since the beginning of the Tour. We had a plan and today's race was unfolding exactly as we wanted. In a fraction of a second, it all fell apart, so we're immensely sad. Tomorrow, it's a rest day. After tomorrow, a new battle will begin. We'll stay united and a new Tour de France will begin for us.”
kc0bbq is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:19 PM
  #12  
macjager
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 117

Bikes: Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
BOOM

probably get it on eBay cheap...
macjager is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:19 PM
  #13  
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 2,844

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asian frames are ruining perfectly american names!
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:21 PM
  #14  
RIRview
Senior Member
 
RIRview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 421

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Looks to me like the front wheel hit something with enough force to snap the downtube and toptube. It doesn't look like a car drove over it.

That would be a hell of a hard hit to do that much damage--a pothole or stone wouldn't do that. Besides, if it was a huge pothole, one of the other riders would have seen it.
RIRview is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:23 PM
  #15  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 8,171

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like the frame snapped when he hit a pothole or something, but of course they can't come out and say that.

Initial reports on the Tour’s race radio, in French, and by NBC Sports’ Steve Porino, that Contador’s bike was “in pieces,” appear to be correct. “His frame snapped in half. They threw it in a heap in the back of the car,” Porino said, noting that he had arrived shortly after the crash.

Contador’s bike broke in the lower third of his down tube and on the top tube just in front of his seat tube. Both tubes were broken clean through, with just a few fibers holding the two pieces of the frame together.

How those failures occurred, though, is not entirely clear.

Specialized, Tinkoff-Saxo’s bike sponsor, initially denied reports that Contador’s bike had broken at all, either resulting in or as a result of the crash, or via some other externality. The company first stated that a bike had fallen off the roof of a car. That story was then amended — it still involved a car, but instead stated that Nicolas Roche’s bike had been run over earlier in the stage. This broken bike was the start of the rumors, it said.

“We have spoken to Alberto’s brother as well as his personal mechanic (Faustino Muñoz) and the mechanic who was at the scene (Rune Kristensen), and contrary to some early, unconfirmed reports, frame failure was not involved in Alberto’s incident today. Nicolas Roche was involved in a separate incident today and while his bike was laying on the road it was run over by a car causing it to break, potentially giving rise to the initial inaccurate reporting,” the original statement read.

But the photos do not lie. Contador is #31, and his race number is on the broken frame. The Roche incident relayed in this statement may be entirely factual, but it is clear that Contador’s bike broke as well.

Specialized later corrected itself again, stating that Contador’s bike that had been run over. A source within the team who was present at the scene of the crash explained that Contador’s mechanic, Faustino Munoz, grabbed his backup bike off the roof, then, seeing the condition of Contador, rushed to his aid, leaving the bike against the team car. The team car drove off and crushed the bike. Photos were taken, and the broken bike story took off.

The alternative potential explanation, of course, is that Contador’s bike broke on impact with a large pothole.


Read more at Details of Alberto Contador's Tour-ending crash - VeloNews.com
Lazyass is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:24 PM
  #16  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 8,171

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RIRview View Post
That would be a hell of a hard hit to do that much damage--a pothole or stone wouldn't do that. Besides, if it was a huge pothole, one of the other riders would have seen it.
He was descending very fast.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:29 PM
  #17  
RIRview
Senior Member
 
RIRview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 421

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
Sounds like the frame snapped when he hit a pothole or something, but of course they can't come out and say that.

Initial reports on the Tour’s race radio, in French, and by NBC Sports’ Steve Porino, that Contador’s bike was “in pieces,” appear to be correct. “His frame snapped in half. They threw it in a heap in the back of the car,” Porino said, noting that he had arrived shortly after the crash.

Contador’s bike broke in the lower third of his down tube and on the top tube just in front of his seat tube. Both tubes were broken clean through, with just a few fibers holding the two pieces of the frame together.

How those failures occurred, though, is not entirely clear.

Specialized, Tinkoff-Saxo’s bike sponsor, initially denied reports that Contador’s bike had broken at all, either resulting in or as a result of the crash, or via some other externality. The company first stated that a bike had fallen off the roof of a car. That story was then amended — it still involved a car, but instead stated that Nicolas Roche’s bike had been run over earlier in the stage. This broken bike was the start of the rumors, it said.

“We have spoken to Alberto’s brother as well as his personal mechanic (Faustino Muñoz) and the mechanic who was at the scene (Rune Kristensen), and contrary to some early, unconfirmed reports, frame failure was not involved in Alberto’s incident today. Nicolas Roche was involved in a separate incident today and while his bike was laying on the road it was run over by a car causing it to break, potentially giving rise to the initial inaccurate reporting,” the original statement read.

But the photos do not lie. Contador is #31, and his race number is on the broken frame. The Roche incident relayed in this statement may be entirely factual, but it is clear that Contador’s bike broke as well.

Specialized later corrected itself again, stating that Contador’s bike that had been run over. A source within the team who was present at the scene of the crash explained that Contador’s mechanic, Faustino Munoz, grabbed his backup bike off the roof, then, seeing the condition of Contador, rushed to his aid, leaving the bike against the team car. The team car drove off and crushed the bike. Photos were taken, and the broken bike story took off.

The alternative potential explanation, of course, is that Contador’s bike broke on impact with a large pothole.


Read more at Details of Alberto Contador's Tour-ending crash - VeloNews.com

Specialized is doing some serious PR spin on this one.
RIRview is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:36 PM
  #18  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,798

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
And look at his kit. Obviously got that from some cheap counterfeiter too, some of the letters are backwards.

Avoid the LBS at your peril kids.
znomit is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:37 PM
  #19  
kc0bbq
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,114

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looks like a bike that has been run over to me.
kc0bbq is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:40 PM
  #20  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 8,171

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could be a backup bike run over. But I would like to see the bike that crashed at 60kph if that isn't it.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:41 PM
  #21  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,761

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 399 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8916 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RIRview View Post
Specialized is doing some serious PR spin on this one.
Watch what you say. I hear they have some serious lawyers on their side.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 02:53 PM
  #22  
Chandne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver area (Ken Caryl Valley)
Posts: 1,240

Bikes: 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2015 Tarmac S-Works DA DI2 Disc, 2015 Crux E5, Yeti SB4.5, Specialized Fatboy Carbon

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a defective/badly made frame which simply cracked upon impact with something. Specialized will do all they can to cover this up. They don't need this publicity. Do they make custom frames for Contador and not simply give him off-the-shelf ones?
Chandne is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 03:00 PM
  #23  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,469

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6388 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
This is so much BS. Nobody knows the true situation, but everybody is spouting off as if they do. Give it a rest until you know what's what. As for me I will believe the official story. Life is too short for stupid conspiracy theories.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 03:01 PM
  #24  
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Who knows what really happened. However, Specialized changing their story 2 or 3 times after more pictures surfaced isn't doing them any good.
This thread already has the good phrases:
eBay
Chinese
Cheap
coverup
and off course Asplosion. How can you not read a thread with a title like this one?
bbeasley is offline  
Old 07-14-14, 03:03 PM
  #25  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 8,171

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
This is so much BS. Nobody knows the true situation, but everybody is spouting off as if they do. Give it a rest until you know what's what. As for me I will believe the official story. Life is too short for stupid conspiracy theories.
Relax, turbo.
Lazyass is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.