Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Navigating rural Nebraska

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 12:31 AM
Lively or Not

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1976 Araya commuter (yes, they make frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Navigating rural Montana

Summer 2019 I plan to cross Montana as part of a bike tour from OK to Seattle. My primary navigation will be to follow the route I'm mapping using Ride with GPS. I'll have offline map access there and through maps.me. I'll also print out cue sheets. I've ordered the state highway and bicycle maps and will carry them. I'll carry a decent compass with rotating bezel, etc. I feel reasonably good about managing my planned route - offline electronic mapping, GPS, and paper backups.

But in the moment I might decide to change my route in minor or major ways. So here is my question. Is there a particular resource that is especially useful for navigating rural Montana as a go-to backup when GPS may become flaky? Would those of you in the know say what I'm bringing is adequate for on-the-fly routing by someone new to the area/

Thanks!

Last edited by Lively or Not; 11-17-18 at 03:12 PM. Reason: I typed one state when I meant another; what I get for posting late at night!
Old 12-04-18, 08:45 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Lively or Not
Summer 2019 I plan to cross Montana as part of a bike tour from OK to Seattle. My primary navigation will be to follow the route I'm mapping using Ride with GPS. I'll have offline map access there and through maps.me. I'll also print out cue sheets. I've ordered the state highway and bicycle maps and will carry them. I'll carry a decent compass with rotating bezel, etc. I feel reasonably good about managing my planned route - offline electronic mapping, GPS, and paper backups.

But in the moment I might decide to change my route in minor or major ways. So here is my question. Is there a particular resource that is especially useful for navigating rural Montana as a go-to backup when GPS may become flaky? Would those of you in the know say what I'm bringing is adequate for on-the-fly routing by someone new to the area/

Thanks!
Title sez Nebraska, post sez Montana.. A good friend told me a few years back when I was looking for a Garmin, he said when I found what I was looking for, not to lose my atlas or my common sense . Holds true today still...... If you end up in Nebraska stop in any little town and ask about the senic route. They'll be plenty.....
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 12-04-18, 09:06 PM
halfmile

Bikes: '76 ROMIC Touring Pro 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I watched a series of youtube vids of Ryan Van Duzer and his girl friend Ali who cross that area this past summer and chose to mainly stay on gravel or roads less traveled.....and they did not have any intended route...flew by the seat of their pants the entire way....but it was by design. I am sure he would have some ideas on what you need....checkout his youtube channel and he has several ways to contact him...and he is pretty quick to respond....
Old 12-07-18, 06:51 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry
Title sez Nebraska, post sez Montana.. A good friend told me a few years back when I was looking for a Garmin, he said when I found what I was looking for, not to lose my atlas or my common sense . Holds true today still...... If you end up in Nebraska stop in any little town and ask about the senic route. They'll be plenty.....
Sorry for the state mis-match. I edited the post to correct myself, but could not edit the title or delete the post to start fresh. Thanks for the suggestion, 308jerry!
Old 12-07-18, 06:54 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by halfmile
I watched a series of youtube vids of Ryan Van Duzer and his girl friend Ali who cross that area this past summer and chose to mainly stay on gravel or roads less traveled.....and they did not have any intended route...flew by the seat of their pants the entire way....but it was by design. I am sure he would have some ideas on what you need....checkout his youtube channel and he has several ways to contact him...and he is pretty quick to respond....
I've seen some of those videos. Great stuff. I didn't realize they traveled without a fixed route; I'll definitely have to reach out to him for info on how they managed route decisions day-to-day. Thanks!
Old 12-07-18, 07:33 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 360 Posts
Originally Posted by Lively or Not

Thanks!
GPS is broadcast by satellites, so all you need is a view of the sky to make it work. No cell service required.

You have both downloaded offline maps and paper maps? Very good. If you can handle possible gravel roads, rerouting will work fine.
Do your maps show elevation and terrain? That would help when choosing between alternate roads.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-07-18 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-19-19, 02:59 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
BRAN, state road map

6 years ago, whena I rode across Nebraska as days 2 through 8 of a summer-long bicycle trip, there was an excellent state road map showing road surfaces and number of cars per day or hour (I forget which). I rode with Bicycle Ride Across Nebraska (BRAN). BRAN happened to be starting the day we'd be starting across Nebraska, and we decided it would be easier to join them then compete with them. We had a wonderful time with them. They've been riding across Nebraska every summer for at least 40 years, and have a pretty good catalog of good routes. I would look for archived maps of their routes.
Old 10-28-19, 10:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18490 Post(s)
Liked 15,787 Times in 7,413 Posts
Originally Posted by teacherlady
I would look for archived maps of their routes.
Two pro tips:

1. Check the date of the original post before responding.

2. Read all the posts before responding. (He was asking about Montana, not Nebraska, as corrected above.