Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What first?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 06:22 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
It's a commute, not a workout. 13-14 mph is pretty fast for utility cycling (which includes bicycle commuting). Slowing down a little bit will drastically reduce your required power output. Fast commutes are for prime bicycle season, i.e., winter.

I've lived and ridden in many states and cities in the southeastern quarter of the US, including spending ten years in Florida. I've never felt a need to change clothes after a commute. Nor have I ever received any indication from friends or coworkers, including office mates who would not have hesitated to say bring the matter to my attention if necessary, that I smelled odorous. A shower each morning before I leave (along with not treating the ride into work as an intensive workout) is all that's necessary. I'm no sweatier after a summer commute in 90º+, high humidity weather than I would be after a walk from the parking lot to the door. In either case, air conditioning makes quick work of the evaporation.

The only "bicycle commuters" I've known who don't simply ride in their regular clothes are the ones who use their commute as an excuse to get in a recreational ride; those folks tend to wear lycra costumes. That's a whole different matter. Regular commuters, the kind ride bikes because it's the most practical tool for the job, and who would fit in well in any city in which typical people typically cycle, all seem to wear their regular clothes on their bikes, providing no clue off the bike, visual, scented, or otherwise, that they arrived under their own power.
It's all relative. Sure, someone commuting 3 miles at 10 mph doesn't need gear. But, if you commute 50 miles or more r/t, that 10 mph in street clothes just isn't going to cut it.
Old 05-22-16, 07:35 AM
flyerguy

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Lupo, 2017 Juiced CrossCurrent S

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
The only "bicycle commuters" I've known who don't simply ride in their regular clothes are the ones who use their commute as an excuse to get in a recreational ride; those folks tend to wear lycra costumes. That's a whole different matter. Regular commuters, the kind ride bikes because it's the most practical tool for the job, and who would fit in well in any city in which typical people typically cycle, all seem to wear their regular clothes on their bikes, providing no clue off the bike, visual, scented, or otherwise, that they arrived under their own power.
I work with lots and lots of other regular bike commuters (a few dozen in my office) and not one with a commute 8+ miles wears regular clothes to do it. And several people with shorter commutes don't either. In fact, the two most committed "bicycle as primary transport" people I know at my office commute under 4 miles each way, and both prefer to change their clothes. And we work at a place where shoes are almost optional, so it's not like we have to dress nicely.

I'm glad it works for you. It doesn't work for everyone, or in my observation, very many people at all when their commute is 8+ miles as the OP is asking about.
Old 05-22-16, 08:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Since you already have lights (and a tube repair kit or extra tube I hope), I recommend not buying anything first! There are so many ways to go about it, riding styles, types of routes, you really need to do it a bit first and then decide what's missing.

The only thing I might generalize is that over eight miles with hills it's highly likely that you'll perspire in warmer weather and need to change. Even there, cargo shorts and athletic tech shirts work fine for some people so I wouldn't go out and buy cycling attire either.

Personally I've collected jerseys and cycling shorts over the years (8-12 mile commutes each way) and for commutes I prefer the jerseys and MTB shorts. But I'll wear anything I have no problem, including blue jeans every once in awhile. It's just not as important as we sometimes make it out to be. Having a place to clean up and change is the important part. You're likely ready to go, right now. Depending on where you are and how you ride and who you can call, you might even get away with not concerning yourself with flats.

There are lots of ways to carry your stuff, with advantages and drawbacks. Start with a backpack, or whatever you have, and if after awhile you feel like a rack, or frame bag, or panniers or whatever would be better, only then spring for it. If you absolutely need a solution now, for the most general with least downsides I'd recommend a budget rear rack. Commuting isn't usually a big load (but for some people, it is) so a cheap light rack is absolutely sufficient. On one bike I have a "Ventura" rack that was $12 on Amazon.
Old 05-22-16, 08:30 AM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If he doesn't cycle commute everyday, then with a little planning he can bring in change of clothes and food and what-not on driving days. This allows for very light travel when cycling.

My commute is pretty long. So, I prefer not carrying anything that does not fit in my small frame and saddle bags. No racks, panniers or backpacks for me. I just drive once a week or, on weeks I ride 5 days, carry one or two things back and forth in the small bags.

I get a kick out of guys who haul 20 pounds of crap back and forth to work. One guy I meet on the commuter MUP hauls so much crap, the first time I saw him I thought he was on tour.
Old 05-22-16, 08:59 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Most breakdowns are rare enough that if you wait until a particular breakdown happens before you add necessary tool to your mobile kit, you will wait a long time to use it.
I learned this the hard way a few times, but I now have a tool and/or spare/repair on board for almost every foreseeable breakdown and adjustment:
patch kit, tire levers & pump (duh)
set of allen wrenches
open end wrenches including adjustable wrench
Phillips and flat screwdrivers
spoke wrench
chain rivet tool
emergency spoke kit
spare tube & spare tire
Old 05-22-16, 10:31 AM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
It's all relative. Sure, someone commuting 3 miles at 10 mph doesn't need gear. But, if you commute 50 miles or more r/t, that 10 mph in street clothes just isn't going to cut it.
Most commutes, including the OP's, aren't that long. But I agree, with such a long commute, the time difference between riding 11-12 mph and riding 15+ mph will be noticeable.
Old 05-22-16, 10:33 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyerguy
It doesn't work for everyone, or in my observation, very many people at all when their commute is 8+ miles as the OP is asking about.
It works well for a lot of people. Dressing up in a cycling costume is just silly for such a short ride.
Old 05-22-16, 10:35 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
It's a commute, not a workout. 13-14 mph is pretty fast for utility cycling (which includes bicycle commuting). Slowing down a little bit will drastically reduce your required power output. Fast commutes are for prime bicycle season, i.e., winter.

I've lived and ridden in many states and cities in the southeastern quarter of the US, including spending ten years in Florida. I've never felt a need to change clothes after a commute. Nor have I ever received any indication from friends or coworkers, including office mates who would not have hesitated to say bring the matter to my attention if necessary, that I smelled odorous. A shower each morning before I leave (along with not treating the ride into work as an intensive workout) is all that's necessary. I'm no sweatier after a summer commute in 90º+, high humidity weather than I would be after a walk from the parking lot to the door. In either case, air conditioning makes quick work of the evaporation.

There are utility commuters, and then there are the rest of us. I can't be a utility commuter, nothing about that appeals to me. My commute doesn't start at 6 am. I am a second shift worker, and my commute starts at about 1:45 in the afternoon. There is little to no shade on my commute, so the thought of riding slowly on a heavily packed down overweight bike in the middle of the summer in normal clothes would make me stop commuting all together and get in the air conditioned car. So I put on a jersey, a chamois with athletic shorts over it and ride my bike to work rather quickly. The breeze helps cool me off as I click the miles off.

And just to touch on one other point, the bike is the most practical tool for the job, and the proper clothing makes that a far more enjoyable experience. I don't want to get on the bike and dread the ride because I am uncomfortable. Riding in jeans is absolutely miserable for me, so I avoid that at all costs. Once a year I give it another shot and always immediately regret it. Oh, and aside from the fact that I am wearing a jersey, and carrying a helmet, you wouldn't know that I got to work under my own power. Most of my jerseys are single solid color, red or black usually and they are not skin tight.
Old 05-22-16, 10:52 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
There are utility commuters, and then there are the rest of us. I can't be a utility commuter, nothing about that appeals to me. My commute doesn't start at 6 am. I am a second shift worker, and my commute starts at about 1:45 in the afternoon. There is little to no shade on my commute, so the thought of riding slowly on a heavily packed down overweight bike in the middle of the summer in normal clothes would make me stop commuting all together and get in the air conditioned car. So I put on a jersey, a chamois with athletic shorts over it and ride my bike to work rather quickly. The breeze helps cool me off as I click the miles off.

And just to touch on one other point, the bike is the most practical tool for the job, and the proper clothing makes that a far more enjoyable experience. I don't want to get on the bike and dread the ride because I am uncomfortable. Riding in jeans is absolutely miserable for me, so I avoid that at all costs. Once a year I give it another shot and always immediately regret it. Oh, and aside from the fact that I am wearing a jersey, and carrying a helmet, you wouldn't know that I got to work under my own power. Most of my jerseys are single solid color, red or black usually and they are not skin tight.
You're right, there are utility commuters, and there are recreational commuters. In the US, the latter group is disproportionately large compared to countries in which typical people typically ride bikes. For such recreational commuters, who just use their commute as an excuse to get in a bike ride, some cleanup after their ride is probably a good idea, since they exert far more effort than necessary to get into work.

I personally have no desire to ride a bike conducive to riding fast in the middle of a summer day. Riding fast on a hot summer day is miserable. In my experience, it's much more enjoyable to ride slowly, on a bike designed to be comfortable as it's ridden. I save riding fast for late nights in the summer, and fast day rides for late fall through early spring, when I can ride as fast as I want without getting sweaty.

I agree about riding in jeans. I wouldn't recommend it, either. I've been car-free for awhile, so nearly all of my wardrobe is bike friendly, but it also works well in other contexts.

Last edited by Jaywalk3r; 05-22-16 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 12:29 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It works well for a lot of people. Dressing up in a cycling costume is just silly for such a short ride.
What's silly is sitting around all day in sweaty clothes just because someone does not want to look silly in a "costume."
Old 05-22-16, 12:43 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2

Totally agree. My "costume" is a white polyester quick dry T-shirt, a pair of black cycling shorts, quick-dry socks and clipless cleated shoes.

By dressing wisely, I can breeze through the 50 miles r/t to and from work in 100-degrees, if need be, given enough water and by taking in some electrolytes. No problem. I ride a bike that weighs somewhere around 20 lbs and carry next to nothing on it so that riding is as enjoyable and quick as is possible. I also shower before riding so that all I need do is wipe down and change into work clothes when I arrive at work. Throughout the day, I sit comfortably in fresh clothes with no worries about hygiene.

Last edited by baron von trail; 05-22-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 01:30 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
These are the universal challenges. A lot of them are really the same as a car, when you think about it. There's an endless variety of solutions, in all styles and price levels. (My coworker has titanium tire levers!) You need to prepare, or have a backup plan, for...
  • Being on time and being presentable
  • Storage and lockup
  • Hauling stuff
  • Darkness
  • Inclement weather
  • Flats, adjustments, breakdowns
Titanium tire levers put dents in my nice aluminum ksyrium rims. Try and catch him before he does it if possible !!
Old 05-22-16, 02:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Titanium tire levers put dents in my nice aluminum ksyrium rims. Try and catch him before he does it if possible !!
I guess. He's a bit of a retrogrouch and builds his own wheels, probably has double-thick super-hard rims that will last til the end of time, or at least the next supernova.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-22-16, 02:16 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's silly is sitting around all day in sweaty clothes just because someone does not want to look silly in a "costume."
Why would anyone do that? Within about five minutes of walking inside, I'm dry, even in the hot, humid summer.
Old 05-22-16, 04:56 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why would anyone do that? Within about five minutes of walking inside, I'm dry, even in the hot, humid summer.
3 miles each way at 10 mph may do that for ya. Me? I'm sweat-drenched upon arrival and use a fan to cool off even before changing clothes. At least, I will admit this much, my cycling clothes are dry by the time I get ready to ride home. They would not be if they were cotton though.
Old 05-22-16, 05:16 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 miles each way at 10 mph may do that for ya. Me? I'm sweat-drenched upon arrival and use a fan to cool off even before changing clothes. At least, I will admit this much, my cycling clothes are dry by the time I get ready to ride home. They would not be if they were cotton though.
We already agreed that your commute is unusually long, making higher speeds more time efficient. For a short eight mile commute, that isn't the case, and the time required to cool down and change exceeds the time saved by riding faster, making riding fast more time consuming and less practical than simply slowing down and riding at a relaxed pace.

People are posting as though it's impossible to dress for a bicycle commute similarly to how one would dress for a car commute without smelling offensive or being drenched in sweat for the rest of the day. It's very possible, and actually quite easy and practical. Bikes are an incredibly efficient means of locomotion, but air resistance is such that that efficiency falls off quickly as speeds increase. If one has the self control to refrain from attempting to beat personal records for speed every time they ride into work, then bicycle commuting requires very little in the way of physical exertion, and consequently, cooling down post-ride.
Old 05-22-16, 06:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
This is why I said don't buy anything first. Lots of different styles of riding, different kinds of routes, differences in goals even. You have to figure out what your's is going to be, and you have to actually ride the commute first, a lot of times, before figuring that out. Start with the minimum (since you mentioned budget) and build up from there.
Old 05-22-16, 06:52 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I work with lots and lots of other regular bike commuters (a few dozen in my office) and not one with a commute 8+ miles wears regular clothes to do it. And several people with shorter commutes don't either. In fact, the two most committed "bicycle as primary transport" people I know at my office commute under 4 miles each way, and both prefer to change their clothes. And we work at a place where shoes are almost optional, so it's not like we have to dress nicely.
It's a matter of personal preference, climate and physiology (some people sweat more than others; sorry to be Capt. Obvious). I barely even sweat in an actual literal sauna, so I ride my 13-14 mile commute in regular clothing. Can't imagine the hassle of having to change at work every single day, twice! It already takes me longer than my driving counterparts to gather all my stuff and put on all my gear before heading out to go home from work.
Old 05-22-16, 07:46 PM
flyerguy

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Lupo, 2017 Juiced CrossCurrent S

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chephy
It's a matter of personal preference, climate and physiology (some people sweat more than others; sorry to be Capt. Obvious).
Exactly. Everyone's different. Different strokes for different folks. What works for one doesn't work for another. And so on. Jaywalk3r just seems intent on proving how wrong I must be because what I and lots of others do isn't what he does, and therefore it must mean that we're putting on "silly costumes". Which, if that's what ends up working for the OP, I would hate for him to feel bad about, because it's what works for a lot of us.

I couldn't care less if Jaywalk3r thinks I have on a silly costume (although a quick dry shirt, baggy biking shorts and sneakers doesn't strike me as silly or a costume), but I would hate for the OP to get discouraged because he tried his 8-mile commute in work clothes and it didn't work for him. If changing clothes is what gets him on his bike, we all win.
Old 05-22-16, 07:47 PM
Th3Pr1de

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Thank you everyone for all of the information. Unfortunately the Schwinn feel through today, hoping to go see it Thursday or maybe another bike before then.
I really appreciate all of the advice, I like the idea of waiting to buy a lot of stuff and then buying what I need. I will just use a backpack for storage when I get started. Just hoping I can pick up a decent soon!
Old 05-23-16, 12:32 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jaywalk3r just seems intent on proving how wrong I must be because what I and lots of others do isn't what he does, and therefore it must mean that we're putting on "silly costumes".
Nope. Just pointing out that it is indeed possible to ride a bike to work without needing to change clothes, and that many people (most bicycle commuters, actually) do just that without any problems. Some recreational commuters couldn't believe it possible, and argued as such.
Old 05-23-16, 05:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Twice you've referred to bicycle specific clothing items as costume clothing. You realize that your word choice is provocative, I'm assuming. Is that how you discuss things among strangers?
Old 05-23-16, 06:23 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Flat resistant tires. My experience with Schwalbe Marathons has been excellent- 4 punctures in ~25,000 miles, YMMV.

Rear rack and panniers. My Axiom rear panniers are budget class, but have been surprisingly durable, outlasting a (supposedly) higher quality pair for the front, and still going strong. Panniers are much more comfortable than backpacks or messenger bags.

I can't say enough good things about my Brooks saddle. It remained comfortable even through high mileage days on tour. You'll know soon enough if replacing your saddle is a priority!
Agree with the Schwalbe Marathons ... had Gatorskins and they were crap ... or I ride them too hard.
Old 05-23-16, 06:29 AM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Twice you've referred to bicycle specific clothing items as costume clothing. You realize that your word choice is provocative, I'm assuming. Is that how you discuss things among strangers?
His remarks remind me a bit of one of the regulars who posted in here back in the days when I first joined BF. Back then I was like the Newb in the op, asking for advice on commuting 50 miles a day. And, of course, one of the first suggestions was to get some bike shorts and quick dry T shirts. Also, something about investing in some clipless pedals and good cycling shoes came up as well.

Well, the poster I refer to above took issue with said suggestions. The gist of his stand was that he commuted 95 miles a day in South Florida wearing cargo shorts, sandals on top of platform pedals and only needed a tank top. I believe he also had strong opinions about not needing a helmet. Well, whatever the case, in the end it was revealed that he was a Marine.

So, my point is...everyone is different. Some of us really can pedal 100 miles in a few hours wearing cargo shorts and pedaling on platforms. The rest of us are a bit less super-human, and we need every advantage we can get. Cycling specific gear is definitely an advantage.
Old 05-23-16, 06:33 AM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We already agreed that your commute is unusually long, making higher speeds more time efficient. For a short eight mile commute, that isn't the case, and the time required to cool down and change exceeds the time saved by riding faster, making riding fast more time consuming and less practical than simply slowing down and riding at a relaxed pace.

People are posting as though it's impossible to dress for a bicycle commute similarly to how one would dress for a car commute without smelling offensive or being drenched in sweat for the rest of the day. It's very possible, and actually quite easy and practical. Bikes are an incredibly efficient means of locomotion, but air resistance is such that that efficiency falls off quickly as speeds increase. If one has the self control to refrain from attempting to beat personal records for speed every time they ride into work, then bicycle commuting requires very little in the way of physical exertion, and consequently, cooling down post-ride.
Sure. Lots of people have a short commute. For those instances, clothes may not be an issue. But, the OP specifically pointed out he lives in TN, and has hills during his 8 mile ride. I doubt he can do that without working up a sweat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.