Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddle question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brooks saddle question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 12:45 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
They can be completely neglected, ridden in the rain, crashed on mountain trails, and will still last ten years or more. Scuffs and fading are character, don't worry about it. I have had them on every bike I own in the last almost 20 years. Cows are made of leather and they live outside.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 12-02-20, 01:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
They can be completely neglected, ridden in the rain, crashed on mountain trails, and will still last ten years or more. Scuffs and fading are character, don't worry about it. I have had them on every bike I own in the last almost 20 years. Cows are made of leather and they live outside.
I have to disagree, even if some of the pro models use thicker higher quality leather, but I have seen at least one recent regular B17 that some young guy had on his bike that was only one season old, and it was completely hammocked. He couldnt believe that my seat had many years and umpteen many more thousands of kms on it compared to his, yet had minimal stretch.
I dunno, if a seat works really well for you, why even take the chance to lessen its life, and especially its comfort for you, by allowing it to get soaked and ridden, when its generally accepted not to go out of your way to let this happen.

but who knows how your Brooks look like, perhaps they are fine. The ones I have that have the most kms on them do have some scuffs, but scuffs and fading/colour change is one thing, tapping out the adjustment bolt and hammocked shape is another.
But hey, its your seat.
Old 12-02-20, 03:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
They can be completely neglected, ridden in the rain, ....
Strongly disagree on the rain. The processing of the leather before it became a saddle removed natural oils that would have partially protected it from water.

With enough Proofide, it develops some water resistance, thus can take a bit more water than a brand new saddle. But it still is a risk.
Old 12-04-20, 11:23 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
They...
I third it - this is a load of malarkey. Get a B17 really wet and it's a hammock in 100 miles or less. Heck, even over-treatment with Proofide can ruin a Brooks saddle. Proofide's main component is tallow (cow fat), so even one of the main components (10-30% by weight) of a cow is detrimental to Brook's saddle longevity.
Old 12-05-20, 09:54 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
I third it - this is a load of malarkey. Get a B17 really wet and it's a hammock in 100 miles or less. Heck, even over-treatment with Proofide can ruin a Brooks saddle. Proofide's main component is tallow (cow fat), so even one of the main components (10-30% by weight) of a cow is detrimental to Brook's saddle longevity.
I don't know how typical my experience was, but mine was shot enough that I hated it in less than a year. That was a lot of decades ago so my memory of exact timing and treatment is sketchy, but I remember finding it kind of okay when brand new and really hating it before too awfully long. I am sure that it didn't get a great deal of care beyond an initial treatment that may or may not have been Proofide. It definitely was used in all kinds of bad weather and didn't last long.
Old 12-05-20, 04:07 PM
djb

Perhaps a suitable equivalent would be taking a nice wool sweater and either mistreating it either in a washing machine, stretching out an arm or whatever, or drying it in a hot drier and shrinking it.
But a fleece is easy to live with and works well too....
So yes, in my experience a leather b17 has shape and riding characteristics that to me have advantages over other seats I've ridden, enough for me to take care and not soak it and stretch it or dry it at high in the drier and shrink it.

jno, you've got a whole season next year to try stuff out.
Likes For djb:
Old 12-05-20, 05:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have a lot of bikes. Most of them have B17 saddles. I don't do much to keep them in good condition. I try not to leave them out in the rain, at least not too often. Getting wet occasionally won't ruin it, especially if they don't get saturated. A plastic bag or shower cap is a good idea.

My commuter bike, which does stand out in the rain during the day, has a C17. I like it a lot but not as much as the B17. Truly, the shape seems completely different.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-20, 08:50 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I think it's a drag having to be concerned about covering the saddle, but the B17 carved is the only saddle that works for me so far, so it is worth it.

I have a C-19 carved on the way for my commuter. C-19 is wider in the back and I sit mostly upright. I am hopeful that the C-19 is the right choice over the C-17.
Old 12-17-20, 10:23 AM
cbrossman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new Sutra came with a B17. My other 4 rides (1 road, 1 fat, 2 mountain) run narrow WTB saddles. I'm a long, skinny guy.
I am concerned with the wing width and lack of cut out on the B17.
I've read where others who are similarly narrow have made modifications, including cutting down the wings a bit and adding lacing capability around the center of the saddle, much like the B17 Imperial.

I'm considering this and may choose to mark it up with the mods and ask a local cobbler to make the changes.
Since I have only about 100 yards on the bike, this may very well be premature, but I know my butt and my riding style. And since it is winter here in Colorado, I have a pretty short, usable runway until my trip commences in May.

I don't believe I'll regret this change ...
But I am open to dissenting views and opinions
Old 12-17-20, 10:35 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
You could always sell the saddle as is and buy something that you're already familiar and comfortable with. After modifications, it might be more difficult to sell.
Old 12-17-20, 11:05 AM
djb

Originally Posted by cbrossman
My new Sutra came with a B17. My other 4 rides (1 road, 1 fat, 2 mountain) run narrow WTB saddles. I'm a long, skinny guy.
I've read where others who are similarly narrow have made modifications, including cutting down the wings a bit and adding lacing capability around the center of the saddle, much like the B17 Imperial.

I'm considering this and may choose to mark it up with the mods and ask a local cobbler to make the changes.
Since I have only about 100 yards on the bike, this may very well be premature, but I know my butt and my riding style. And since it is winter here in Colorado, I have a pretty short, usable runway until my trip commences in May.

have you ever toured before? Reason I ask is that when touring we tend to be seated more , ie less standing and off saddle , and less hammering than road riding or mtb riding, so a different dynamic of ass/seat goes on. As another tallish and slight guy, I still find a B17 shape and width to work great for touring, but really, no manner of asking strangers will give you that answer.
I agree, having it modified before riding it a reasonable amount could make it harder to sell if you decide to go another seat route.
What not to do--put any oils or whatever on it, and if you use Brooks Proofide, use it sparingly, dont overdo it.
Also, don't let it sit out in rain and then ride on it, this will stretch the leather, taking years off its life and the "hammocking" is not good for riding comfort.
Ive bought a few used Brooks, so if you don't abuse it, and just ride it and treat it well, there will be people out there who will buy it at a reasonable price. I chose my used ones very carefully, but had the benefit of having used my first one for a while so was familiar with them in general.

be attentive to small changes in seat position, I find with my B17s that its important to be patient and attentive to positioning. I also wear good padded bike shorts. But listen to your body as you begin to ride it, and yes, a certain amount of time is normal for the leather to start to get "dimpled in" to your body, and it will get more and more comfortable.
You shouldnt have to touch the tension bolt for a long long time, Ive hardly ever had to tighten my different leather brooks, even after years of riding.
Old 12-17-20, 11:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrossman

I agree 100 percent with Robow. Sell it while you can say that it only has 100 yards of use.

I find that a B17 does not work for me either, I bought one and concluded that after a few hundred miles. I can use it when I sit more upright, but not when leaning very far forward. That B17 now has a second life on my indoor trainer bike when I watch tv or videos in winter.

I use Brooks saddles, but use other models.

I can't predict what someone would offer, offers might be more lucrative in spring.
Old 12-17-20, 12:53 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Perhaps a suitable equivalent would be taking a nice wool sweater and either mistreating it either in a washing machine, stretching out an arm or whatever, or drying it in a hot drier and shrinking it.
But a fleece is easy to live with and works well too....
So yes, in my experience a leather b17 has shape and riding characteristics that to me have advantages over other seats I've ridden, enough for me to take care and not soak it and stretch it or dry it at high in the drier and shrink it.

jno, you've got a whole season next year to try stuff out.
I think the sweater analogy is a good fit (pun intended). Every once in a while I find a piece of kit that works well and I tend to use hard but take care of it. Some stuff lasts decades. My heavy sleeping bag is over 30 years old.

I don't baby my Brooks bit I cover them with a $12 planet bike cover when it rains. Easy peasy and it rolls up to be velcroed to the rear saddle rails when not in use.
Old 12-17-20, 08:14 PM
djb

when I bought my first one, I just figured I'd try one out and if it didnt work , fine. It did take a while , maybe 6 or 7 or whatever rides before I started not noticing it anymore and realizing that it was comfortable now.
And later, I had some position issues where I messed up and didnt have it set properly, but finally figured that out.

so just to say, it can take a while riding before it starts to be more comfortable. But after I got really to like that one, and wanted another for my other bike, I ended up buying a used one that even though it had been ridden a reasonable amount, it looked like it hadnt stretched at all, and it very soon took to my shape (the original owner was a similar shape to me so that probably helped.
Put it on the bike I rode the most and it was great for years, and still is althought I dont ride it that much now, put it on another bike.
Old 12-18-20, 01:42 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
I think it's a drag having to be concerned about covering the saddle, but the B17 carved is the only saddle that works for me so far, so it is worth it.

I have a C-19 carved on the way for my commuter. C-19 is wider in the back and I sit mostly upright. I am hopeful that the C-19 is the right choice over the C-17.
It takes all of a few seconds to put a shower cap on the seat. If it isn't raining hard, I don't worry about it. The comfort of the leather, for me, over the material the C17 is made of, makes up for the five or six seconds I lose while covering my B17. The leather offers a slicker surface, so it simply feels better to me, and it breathes much better.
Old 01-07-21, 04:21 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
wax

Ive been riding brooks saddles since 1975.........I have a couple from the 70s that are still in excellent condition.......I never use Proofide.....it makes the leather to soft but I always use paste wax front and back which makes them impervious to rain snow and inclement weather..........Johnsons paste wax, floor wax, carnauba wax or bees wax ....they all work great and they add protection to the shiny finish.......after riding all day in a thunder storm .....and as you wear through it......you might want to touch up.........of course if it has to be out all night in the rain ....god forbid......put your zip lock over it.........Im not sure if every one knows how to to use the tensioning bolt.....its adjustable .......because you can tweek a Brooks to any degree of tension.....any level of comfort that you desire....micro tune to your personal butt.......you can dial it in until it feels like a part of you.......and its not plastic .......you can also custom form it to any shape you want.......soak it in water for a couple hours.........I cut a tee shirt into strips and wrap it up tight around the seat and curl the edges under until I get the shape I want and then just let it dry for a couple of days and it will stay in that shape....some guys trim them up a bit.......it use to be popular to cut the sides off your B17 to make it lighter........and cool.......drilling holes around the bottom and lacing them up helps to keep them stiff and rigid and tweeks it to a higher degree......when they get stretched out and saggy.....soak it reform and tighten the bolt......better than new

Last edited by homelessjoe; 01-07-21 at 04:29 AM. Reason: misspelled