Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Blows Thru Stop Sign

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Blows Thru Stop Sign

Old 01-13-21, 12:10 AM
  #51  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
I am sometimes a pedestrian, sometimes a cyclist, and sometimes a driver. I don't feel anyone is not my tribe.
Heh, ok, I'll give you that one. But by 'tribe' I was not referring to a persons mode of transit ...
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 04:03 AM
  #52  
alo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Heh, ok, I'll give you that one. But by 'tribe' I was not referring to a persons mode of transit ...
Because I am sometimes a pedestrian, sometimes a cyclist, and sometimes a driver, I relate to all of them. When I am a driver, I don't suddenly hate pedestrians and cyclists. I think we should consider the perspective of others, and do what is best for everyone.
alo is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 12:39 PM
  #53  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,626

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis View Post

Just last night, after a poster stated the other day that cyclists know it is clear when they run signs, was another foolish comment.
.
I know damn well when it's safe to run a stop sign or red light. I apply the same risk assessment principles I apply when I approach a yield sign. This isn't thermonuclear physics here. It's basic risk management.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-13-21, 12:41 PM
  #54  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,626

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
Some of what I'm hearing here is that since we're such a small minority and we don't have the same potential cause of injury with our puny bikes, it's ok to roll thru stop signs and cause others to slam on their brakes. Maybe they should take Leisesturm's advice....
If I understand you post correctly I haven't seen anyone advocating for failing to yield right of way. If that is what you are suggesting can you copy and paste some of that content?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 01:27 PM
  #55  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 2,108

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 2016 Giant Liv Rove Lite, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
I see a problem.

Pedestrians have right of way. Drivers are supposed to stop and let them cross, but whether they do or not is up to the conscience of the driver.

So when drivers don't stop, pedestrians could get killed.

If they completely got rid of 4 way stops, then pedestrians have to wait until the road is clear of cars before crossing, the roads would be a lot safer for pedestrians, and faster for cars.

If there is a problem for pedestrians crossing, have a bridge over the road, or put in traffic lights.
Fortunately most people are just trying to get where they're going, and obey traffic laws.
Korina is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 02:08 PM
  #56  
work4bike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
If I understand you post correctly I haven't seen anyone advocating for failing to yield right of way. If that is what you are suggesting can you copy and paste some of that content?
I'm conflating the remarks in this thread with all the others on the same topic. It seems like when someone highlights a cyclist causing others to brake, they seem to divert the conversation on how dangerous a car is vs. a bike and that the poster is obviously anti-cyclist.

However, I should clarify that when I say, "roll thru", I think some people might think I'm making a reference to the Idaho Stop law -- I'm not. I'm talking about the countless cyclists I've witness rolling thru a stop sign without regard to the rules of the road. The Idaho Stop law does not allow cyclists to just roll thru all stop signs. BTW, I am a proponent of the Idaho Stop law.

What's funny (on a slightly different topic) is that some cyclists seem to like to ride in the center of the lane and slow down traffic, then complain how lazy, fat and impatient motorists are, and then complain about pedestrians hogging the MUPs, slowing everyone down
work4bike is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 03:23 PM
  #57  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I'm conflating the remarks in this thread with all the others on the same topic. It seems like when someone highlights a cyclist causing others to brake, they seem to divert the conversation on how dangerous a car is vs. a bike and that the poster is obviously anti-cyclist.

However, I should clarify that when I say, "roll thru", I think some people might think I'm making a reference to the Idaho Stop law -- I'm not. I'm talking about the countless cyclists I've witness rolling thru a stop sign without regard to the rules of the road. The Idaho Stop law does not allow cyclists to just roll thru all stop signs. BTW, I am a proponent of the Idaho Stop law.

What's funny (on a slightly different topic) is that some cyclists seem to like to ride in the center of the lane and slow down traffic, then complain how lazy, fat and impatient motorists are, and then complain about pedestrians hogging the MUPs, slowing everyone down
You say you aren't trolling? I say you are. I don't care what your post tally is. Trolling is as trolling does. You don't find more bikes in one place than in Downtown Portland, OR and I've not seen this 'lane hogging' behavior you are about to make a thing about. Cyclists ride FRAP for the very large part and exceptions woudn't fill the pod of the average Amusement Park ride. The average driver might witness an occurrence like it once in a lifetime. You are way overstating the amount of scofflaw and/or stereotypical bad cyclist behavior you have seen for some reason I don't know. Boredom, possibly. 'Countless' cyclists rolling stop signs is just not a claim I can take seriously.
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-13-21, 03:25 PM
  #58  
UCantTouchThis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I know damn well when it's safe to run a stop sign or red light. I apply the same risk assessment principles I apply when I approach a yield sign. This isn't thermonuclear physics here. It's basic risk management.

OK, now apply your answer in context to which my comments were posted. Your response is totally irrelevant to my comment. Try putting it together so it makes sense.
UCantTouchThis is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 04:18 PM
  #59  
work4bike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You say you aren't trolling? I say you are. I don't care what your post tally is. Trolling is as trolling does. You don't find more bikes in one place than in Downtown Portland, OR and I've not seen this 'lane hogging' behavior you are about to make a thing about. Cyclists ride FRAP for the very large part and exceptions woudn't fill the pod of the average Amusement Park ride. The average driver might witness an occurrence like it once in a lifetime. You are way overstating the amount of scofflaw and/or stereotypical bad cyclist behavior you have seen for some reason I don't know. Boredom, possibly. 'Countless' cyclists rolling stop signs is just not a claim I can take seriously.
If I wanted to troll, I could come up with a much more toxic thing to post about...

Maybe you spend too much time in Portland. I've been cycling for over 30-years as my primary form of transportation to work and I was in the navy for 23-years, so I've cycled all over the country where I've been stationed, so what I see here in Jax is not really much different than what I've seen in all the other places I was stationed.

But now we have Youtube and so when I talk about a Thanksgiving ride here in Jax, where the riders were hogging the road, I don't have to post it and hope people believe me, all I need to do is post a link of a similar thing that happened, which I've seen numerous times around the country.

And I could link several other videos, especially in NYC of cyclists blowing lights/signs...but then I'd probably be trolling



Cyclists hogging the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Wb8exPj3o



.
work4bike is offline  
Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-13-21, 04:28 PM
  #60  
StanSeven
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Posts: 13,368

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 423 Posts
Ok. No more trolling accusations. If you see trolling, report it but don’t accuse someone in a post. This only leads to the thread going downhill. If you don’t like a thread, move on but skip posting. Thanks
StanSeven is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 04:58 PM
  #61  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,066
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 267 Times in 155 Posts
We have some large groups that ride the roads where I live and it can be hard to pass them. Worst case was pulling out of my driveway right behind a group that I was stuck behind for the 3.5 miles to the main highway. But it only added a couple minutes to the trip. Usually you're not behind them for more than a mile or so. The roads belong to everyone and sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.
jon c. is offline  
Likes For jon c.:
Old 01-13-21, 06:22 PM
  #62  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
So that video is not the best example of "hogging the road" because unless that group get together EVERY DAY and do the same thing, the people getting steamed need to get a life. Do you really imagine a group like that could get into single file? Are those 'share the road' signs meant for one, two, or three riders? Is that reasonable for 30? As for cyclists in NYC running lights. I did not say that that is not a thing. What I said was that the riders blowing up the lights were very much aware of the positioning of the cars around them.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 08:17 PM
  #63  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,626

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
If I wanted to troll, I could come up with a much more toxic thing to post about...

Maybe you spend too much time in Portland. I've been cycling for over 30-years as my primary form of transportation to work and I was in the navy for 23-years, so I've cycled all over the country where I've been stationed, so what I see here in Jax is not really much different than what I've seen in all the other places I was stationed.

But now we have Youtube and so when I talk about a Thanksgiving ride here in Jax, where the riders were hogging the road, I don't have to post it and hope people believe me, all I need to do is post a link of a similar thing that happened, which I've seen numerous times around the country.

And I could link several other videos, especially in NYC of cyclists blowing lights/signs...but then I'd probably be trolling



Cyclists hogging the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Wb8exPj3o



.

There was some behavior in that clip that I wouldn't engage in. There was also much ado made about nothing.

That road does not have lanes wide enough to safely share with cyclists, so if the cyclists went single file, it would take much longer to pass them than it would if they were bunched up.

When the news crew pulled up beside them to question their behavior, that was unacceptable. Would they likewise challenge the behavior of motorists they thought weren't being courteous.? That's the kind of crap that sends a message that it's okay to shout out the window at cyclists.

It wasn't clear from the clip at the 4 way stop if the lead cyclists failed to yield right of way to the car. If they did, that's wrong. If they didn't, then doesn't it facilitate overall traffic flow if they move through as a single unit as they did?

River Road in Richmond BC is a very short road. I don't know what the speed limit is, but being stuck behind those cyclists can't possibly add much time to her commute. The cyclists were probably averaging 20 MPH. What was the speed limit?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 01-14-21, 07:30 AM
  #64  
work4bike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So that video is not the best example of "hogging the road" because unless that group get together EVERY DAY and do the same thing, the people getting steamed need to get a life. Do you really imagine a group like that could get into single file? Are those 'share the road' signs meant for one, two, or three riders? Is that reasonable for 30?
OK, then I guess we cyclists need to stop complaining about traffic on all the MUPS. Cyclists are showing the same impatience as those drivers in that video, both on the roads and MUPs. BTW, I'm no different, I got places to be, I don't want to be zigging and zagging around of bunch of pedestrians. But that's why I stay away from MUPs and strictly ride on major roadways.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
As for cyclists in NYC running lights. I did not say that that is not a thing. What I said was that the riders blowing up the lights were very much aware of the positioning of the cars around them.
Not just NYC, but let's say you're right that they are cognizant of cars around them, then why is it that people need to slam on their brakes? If all I saw were cyclists going thru intersections without stopping and didn't cause others to stop, then I'd be pretty amazed and this thread wouldn't have been started.
work4bike is offline  
Old 01-14-21, 02:38 PM
  #65  
plowmanjoe
Senior Member
 
plowmanjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 519

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
How about we ban cars? In large metro areas at the very least. Pedestrians have a 10,000 year head start. Cars have only been a thing since around 1920. People have been around since 10,000 B.C.
I was being sarcastic
plowmanjoe is offline  
Old 01-14-21, 03:24 PM
  #66  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by plowmanjoe View Post
I was being sarcastic
#metoo
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 01-14-21, 03:59 PM
  #67  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
OK, then I guess we cyclists need to stop complaining about traffic on all the MUPS. Cyclists are showing the same impatience as those drivers in that video, both on the roads and MUPs. BTW, I'm no different, I got places to be, I don't want to be zigging and zagging around of bunch of pedestrians. But that's why I stay away from MUPs and strictly ride on major roadways.
I too stay away from MUP's, but not because I get impatient around peds. I never zigzag around peds on the rare occasions I find myself stuck behind one. I just tro erm, noodle behind at walking speed until I get a decent passing opportunity, or they take notice of me and move over. It isn't that I don't have places to be, but I accept that cyclists should yield to pedestrians. Behind the wheel of a car (rare) I will not use its power and/or heft to have my way with cyclists on the road either. That doesn't make me better than you, but it demonstrates that I have (and you could) more patience than the average cyclist with our pedestrian counterparts.
Not just NYC, but let's say you're right that they are cognizant of cars around them, then why is it that people need to slam on their brakes? If all I saw were cyclists going thru intersections without stopping and didn't cause others to stop, then I'd be pretty amazed and this thread wouldn't have been started.
They don't! Hence my earlier advice. Drivers overreact when they see cyclists. Drivers are convinced that cyclists all have a death wish and if you don't stop for them ... ... Savvy drivers in NYC don't even lift off the gas when cyclists dart across intersections. They know (even if they say otherwise) that the cyclist will be long gone by the time they get close enough to hit them. Drivers that get on the brakes hard because a bike darts in front haven't seen it done enough times. This says to me the cyclists in that locale need to step up their game. I've had friends that know I ride tell me: "I want to ride my bike but I am terrified of being hit by a car, and I don't drive because I am terrified I will hit a cyclist". So sad. Such a gulf of misunderstanding between worlds. America has the least cyclists of any advanced country but the most cyclists being hit. It isn't because cyclists are all so scofflaw. There are a goodly number of cyclists who SHOULD have run that red light. Instead they played by the 'rules of the road' and stood there, waiting for the light to BLAM!

Which scenario do you want to believe occurs more often: cyclist is hit while flouting the 'rules of the road' OR cyclist is hit while abiding by the 'rules of the road'?
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 01-14-21, 04:13 PM
  #68  
work4bike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I too stay away from MUP's, but not because I get impatient around peds. I never zigzag around peds on the rare occasions I find myself stuck behind one. I just tro erm, noodle behind at walking speed until I get a decent passing opportunity, or they take notice of me and move over. It isn't that I don't have places to be, but I accept that cyclists should yield to pedestrians. Behind the wheel of a car (rare) I will not use its power and/or heft to have my way with cyclists on the road either. That doesn't make me better than you, but it demonstrates that I have (and you could) more patience than the average cyclist with our pedestrian counterparts.
I don't either. I never speed when on MUPs, I usually ride under the posted speed limit, because they're so dangerous, with many blind corners. Most my MUP riding has been in the D.C. area.
work4bike is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 07:28 AM
  #69  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,626

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I don't either. I never speed when on MUPs, I usually ride under the posted speed limit, because they're so dangerous, with many blind corners. Most my MUP riding has been in the D.C. area.
All MUPs are not created equal. There are some in this area that are rife with hazards. There are others that see very little use and no interaction with motor vehicle traffic. I am thankful that we have them, because the roads in the NOLA suburbs are singularly horrible for cycling.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 07:31 AM
  #70  
work4bike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
It is an interesting question of who's fault is it when there's a collision between a cyclist and motorist... This seems to indicate it's basically 50/50, which tells me that cyclists and motorists are two peas in a pod. They both act in the same way, just using a different vehicle.



This is also a very interesting take on cyclists responsibilities, especially with respect to pedestrians. Kind of reminds me of the Food Chain in nature; Snake eats frog; frog eats bug





.



work4bike is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 07:35 AM
  #71  
work4bike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
All MUPs are not created equal. There are some in this area that are rife with hazards. There are others that see very little use and no interaction with motor vehicle traffic. I am thankful that we have them, because the roads in the NOLA suburbs are singularly horrible for cycling.
I agree, I loved the Great Allegheny Passage, but once it turned into the C&O trail, I didn't like so much. We have a local MUP here in Florida, the Jacksonville-Baldwin bike trail, it's kind of nice.

I hate all the MUPs around the DC-area, but there are some exceptions....
work4bike is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 08:02 AM
  #72  
drlogik 
Senior Member
 
drlogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,182

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
A few bad apples give every cyclist a bad name. There is a rider that has his circuit near where I live. He's in his 50's, fit, trim, in awesome shape and obviously rides a lot. I have had three run-ins with this guy.

The first was at a 4-way stop intersection a couple of year ago when I was on my bike. There were four cars at the intersection. I stop because everyone is trying to figure out who goes next. This guy comes flying up from behind me and blows through the intersection just as one of the cars is entering. He swerves to avoid the car and gives the driver the one finger salute and yells, "F*** you. Watch where you're going!".

The second and third times were both the same. I was driving to the grocery store and he's in the middle of the two lane road (that has a full left turn lane in the middle) riding with another guy and it's pretty busy. Everyone is having to go into the left turn lane to go around this guy. No big deal, I go around, look at the guy with a blank expression and pass. He gives me this nasty sneer.

The last time was the same situation but he was riding side-by-side with another rider on this same road with light traffic and taking up the whole right lane and hugging the left turn lane. Cars are backed up behind these two waiting to go around. When it's my turn I matter of factly state to this guy, "There's not a lot of traffic, can you go single file?".

Oh boy, the guy just totally goes postal. F this and F that. The guy is nuts.

Now, I do the "Idaho" stop also, but when there are cars at an intersection I make eye contact with every motorist. When they acknowledge me and give me the go sign, I go. MOST of the time they let me "cut" through the intersection and I give them a nice wave and silent "thank you" with my lips. To which they acknowledge with a smile...usually.

I don't understand the mentality of riders like this nutty guy. I've been riding on the road since I was 13 so....49 years now. I remember when it really was bad. Folks today have it good even in the worst cities compared to the way it was. If we cyclists want to be treated right by motorists we have to treat them right and obey the rules of the road.

Apologize for the rant but this subject really agitates me.
drlogik is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 12:46 PM
  #73  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28,805
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12525 Post(s)
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,396 Posts
Originally Posted by redmandarin View Post
There are certain states in the US that allow an "Idaho stop" for cyclists. I think its a happy medium for safety and efficiency.
In 2019 I was touring in ID for a couple of days and had to laugh at myself when I realized I had been coming to complete stops and waited for one red light to change while riding around Wallace one afternoon despite there being almost no traffic. When I tour I am good about obeying local laws. I had simply forgotten about the laws there, in part because most of the trip was in Montana and the previous (first) day in the state I was in areas that did not have traffic control devices.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 04:04 PM
  #74  
burritos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I'm always prepared to stop and I always come to an intersection with brakes engaged, but I will roll through if I get to stop sign before other vehicles, kind of like if I were running. Sometimes cars will get to the intersection before me. I always intend to stop, but 25% of the time, the car will wait for me to pass through. It's considerate but it can lead to some confusion.
burritos is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 07:19 PM
  #75  
Gyro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: lost
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos View Post
I'm always prepared to stop and I always come to an intersection with brakes engaged, but I will roll through if I get to stop sign before other vehicles, kind of like if I were running. Sometimes cars will get to the intersection before me. I always intend to stop, but 25% of the time, the car will wait for me to pass through. It's considerate but it can lead to some confusion.
I'd rather they go, otherwise we look at each other. Neither sure what to do.
Gyro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.