Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Empire State Trail

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Empire State Trail

Old 01-13-21, 10:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Of course I can do that. I'm just wondering if anybody who lives or vacations up that way has any inside info.
Be more specific next time.
Old 01-13-21, 10:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
In the early 1980's, when I was just starting in the music business, I used to trek from Long Island all the way up to Hopewell Junction - a bungalow colony called Sylvan Lake - to play gigs for fifty bucks. There was absolutely nothing up there at the time, so I couldn't even spend what was left of the fifty (after gas and tolls) on a sandwich. Has Hopewell Junction built up at all since then? I'm asking because, if I do this ride, I'm going to need a place to stay and a place to eat.
Theres a restaurant right at the parking lot for the start of Hopewell Junction, it seemed a little built up with some other eateries.
Old 01-14-21, 07:09 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Theres a restaurant right at the parking lot for the start of Hopewell Junction, it seemed a little built up with some other eateries.
What about annual festivals, places of interest, and anything to do at the end of the ride? I'm not a drinker.
Old 01-14-21, 10:55 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Which do you think would be more scenic, north or south of Albany ? It seems most of the northern route is on roads and minimal trail. We've done the Buffalo to Albany and was looking to extend the ride if there was a next time. Thanks
Old 01-14-21, 11:17 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
What about annual festivals, places of interest, and anything to do at the end of the ride? I'm not a drinker.
I think we confused you with the Hopewell Junction, your ride does not need to end there. Maybrook Trail (newly built one) technically ends at Hopewell Junction, but the Dutchess Rail Trail (had existed before) will take you from Hopewell Junction to Poughkeepsie. You can continue to Walkway over the Hudson, and the Hudson Valley Rail Trail to New Paltz. Also, there is Metro North from Poughkeepsie back to Grand Central, you do not have to stay there overnight.

Originally Posted by robow
Which do you think would be more scenic, north or south of Albany ? It seems most of the northern route is on roads and minimal trail. We've done the Buffalo to Albany and was looking to extend the ride if there was a next time. Thanks
Cannot say which one is more scenic, but it looks like the north on road part is the same as Lake Champlain bikeways (https://www.champlainbikeways.org/). When the COVID goes down and we can enter Canda this route can be extended to Montreal and then to Le Petit Train du Nord (https://ptittraindunord.com/en/).
Old 01-14-21, 11:22 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I've seen the website, but haven't seen any mention of the availability of actual hard copy maps. Am I missing something?
PTNY has some guidebooks: https://www.ptny.org/shop, I do not have them, but they claim to have some maps.
Old 01-14-21, 11:34 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by csport
I think we confused you with the Hopewell Junction, your ride does not need to end there. .....Also, there is Metro North from Poughkeepsie back to Grand Central, you do not have to stay there overnight.
No confusion. I understand that and have ridden the Dutchess Trail over the Walkway, etc. I am just trying to piece together a ride that will last an entire day (maybe two, if I retire this year) and drop me off somewhere I can stay overnight. I do not want to come home the same day. If I do, I can't call it a "tour!"
Old 01-15-21, 05:40 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Hopewell Jcn by the trail seems pretty desolate to me the couple of times I've paused there - there's the Daddy O's right alongside the trail, but not much else beyond the usual small town CVS/RiteAid etc. I'd suggest the extra miles to Poughkeepsie, which has more going on, with neighbourhoods, a college campus and so forth.

No confusion. I understand that and have ridden the Dutchess Trail over the Walkway, etc. I am just trying to piece together a ride that will last an entire day (maybe two, if I retire this year) and drop me off somewhere I can stay overnight. I do not want to come home the same day. If I do, I can't call it a "tour!"
Old 01-15-21, 05:47 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by niliraga
Hopewell Jcn by the trail seems pretty desolate to me the couple of times I've paused there - there's the Daddy O's right alongside the trail, but not much else beyond the usual small town CVS/RiteAid etc. I'd suggest the extra miles to Poughkeepsie, which has more going on, with neighbourhoods, a college campus and so forth.
I've been to Poughkeepsie a few times, with and without a bike. To me, it's more of a place to visit with my wife. We like the Ice House restaurant.

I tour without her and I'm not a drinker, so I prefer places I can hang out by a lake, grab a casual dinner in town and people watch, etc. I'm not sure this exists in that part of New York. As an example, my favorite all-time places to ride and stay overnight are Mystic, CT and Narragansett, RI.

Oh, and I also like Kingston and New Paltz.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 01-15-21 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 08:51 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try searching Google Maps.
Yes, thank you, but that's no fun at all. I was hoping some locals might provide "personalized" inspiration to take the ride. Isn't that why we all come HERE rather than Google?
Old 03-01-21, 08:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Yes, thank you, but that's no fun at all. I was hoping some locals might provide "personalized" inspiration to take the ride. Isn't that why we all come HERE rather than Google?
How many times are you going to respond to my post? You're up to two so far.

And no: I don't come here for looking for inspiration to ride. I also supplement what, if anything, anyone suggests with my own research.
Old 03-01-21, 11:29 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by indyfabz
How many times are you going to respond to my post? You're up to two so far.

And no: I don't come here for looking for inspiration to ride. I also supplement what, if anything, anyone suggests with my own research.
Not even sure what you mean by "how many times..." because I only responded once. You seem to have zero tolerance for anything I post here, so why don't you block me or something?