Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Erie Canalway

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Erie Canalway

Old 01-20-21, 01:55 PM
rpollaro

Bikes: New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Erie Canalway

I am looking to ride the Erie Canalway in 2021 from Buffalo (Lockport) to Albany. Anyone out there have advice for camping along the way like which Locks and other hidden gems? Thanks.
Old 01-20-21, 02:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
There are state campgrounds along the way that are right along the trail as well as other private ones, just have to figure out how far you want to go on a daily basis since plenty of people I chatted with while working in the Pittsford bike shop would also just camp along the way. Most of the trail is fairly safe, try to avoid being in the downtown Rochester section at night, I've commuted through it dozens of times over the years but every few months it seems there was stories of muggings and bike thefts so I typically rode streets at night. Same goes for Syracuse, there's no actual bike path through or around Syracuse and the route can go through some interesting areas. But the rest are safe enough to just grab a spot along the side with a tent and I haven't heard of anyone having issues over doing it. The wife mapped out 8 different campgrounds for us but we'll be doing lighter miles each day due to kids and as a result will skip over the syracuse section as well as along stretch of onroad after I think Rome.
Old 01-20-21, 02:37 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Camping | Empire State Trail (ny.gov)
Likes For bktourer1:
Old 01-20-21, 02:39 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
get the PTNY Canal Guide for 2021
Likes For bktourer1:
Old 01-20-21, 07:33 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
When I did it in 2019 the signage was poor and the guidebook had a lot of out of date references to B&Bs that were closed, etc. Maybe the new book is better. Google earth is very helpful. I thought the Western half was nicer than the Eastern half. Starkers (sp?) has a church right on the trail that lets cyclists camp, and even shower. Macedon has a big campground with water and portapotties. You might think of ending at Albany airport to get a oneway car rental back to Buffalo. That's what I did from Buff to Alb.
Check CGOAB for accounts of people's trips.
Have fun.
Old 01-20-21, 08:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
As noted above, there is a new edition for this year:

https://www.ptny.org/publications/cy...the-erie-canal
Old 01-21-21, 12:38 PM
rpollaro

Bikes: New Albion Privateer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to all! Very helpful.
Old 01-21-21, 06:49 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
If you are going at peak season be sure to have reservations in advance, There are many summer campers out that take up all of the spots and without reservations you can wind up in a bind. Some campgrounds will make room for cyclists but you can also get stuck too.
Old 01-22-21, 10:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
When I did it in 2019 the signage was poor and the guidebook had a lot of out of date references to B&Bs that were closed, etc. Maybe the new book is better. Google earth is very helpful. I thought the Western half was nicer than the Eastern half. Starkers (sp?) has a church right on the trail that lets cyclists camp, and even shower. Macedon has a big campground with water and portapotties. You might think of ending at Albany airport to get a oneway car rental back to Buffalo. That's what I did from Buff to Alb.
Check CGOAB for accounts of people's trips.
Have fun.
Can also hop the amtrak back to Buffalo, from what I can remember, when they redesigned the station probably about 12 years ago they made it easier for bikes to get to it and I think at least one train has a bike car.
Old 01-22-21, 11:47 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
In addition to what others said, there is an unofficial site, https://bikeeriecanal.com/. Not all the info is up to date, some distances may be slightly off.

The route may be complicated, especially in the citites. This interactive map is invaluable: https://www.ptny.org/bike-canal/map/
It can show your GPS location, and it shows the route. It even showed detours last fall when some repaving was going on.