Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 09:56 AM
CatalysaurusRex

Bikes: Mondia Turbo, Unknown Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there, everyone!

This weekend I got my hands on what seems to be an early-90s Bianchi which was in need of some care, but nothing too major. In recent weeks I have realized that I like commuting with a road bike, but the one I currently have (a Swiss Mondia also from the early-90s) is too large for me and it often felt somewhat awkward to ride it (60 cm frame, but I am only 174 cm). So I started looking for a replacement and I think I got a good deal on this bike (at least by Copenhagen second-hand market standards which seems to be flooded with old, poorly-mantained city bikes), and I am also happy about having a project to work on (although the bike in its current state is actually very rideable already).

So far, I'm enjoying a lot this bike so I wouldn't be too heartbroken if it is actually not a Bianchi at all, but I am curious to find out more about it. So if anyone can help me identify the model and year, I'd appreciate it. I can't post any pictures, though, so I will just describe it then

The bike is equipped with a Shimano 105 groupset (14-speed) and the frame is from Cromor tubing with Campagnolo dropouts. About the cosmetics, the bike is maroon and has a Bianchi decal on the seat tube and the Bianchi shield on the headtube. I also has a E. Bianchi signature decal on the top tube, but no indication of the model. I was looking at some lo-res Bianchi catalogs from the early 1990s but it doesn't look like anything there. The unusual thing is that that my bike has chrome-plated fork and stays and none of the bikes in those catalogs do.

The serial number engraved on the bottom bracket is F1101 but I couldn't find any info about it.

Anyways, if someone has any useful tips about it, it would be appreciated!

Note: I posted this in the "show off your Bianchi thread", but then realized this might be a more fitting thread!

Last edited by CatalysaurusRex; 06-15-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 12:58 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalysaurusRex
Hey there, everyone!

This weekend I got my hands on what seems to be an early-90s Bianchi which was in need of some care, but nothing too major. In recent weeks I have realized that I like commuting with a road bike, but the one I currently have (a Swiss Mondia also from the early-90s) is too large for me and it often felt somewhat awkward to ride it (60 cm frame, but I am only 174 cm). So I started looking for a replacement and I think I got a good deal on this bike (at least by Copenhagen second-hand market standards which seems to be flooded with old, poorly-mantained city bikes), and I am also happy about having a project to work on (although the bike in its current state is actually very rideable already).

So far, I'm enjoying a lot this bike so I wouldn't be too heartbroken if it is actually not a Bianchi at all, but I am curious to find out more about it. So if anyone can help me identify the model and year, I'd appreciate it. I can't post any pictures, though, so I will just describe it then

The bike is equipped with a Shimano 105 groupset (14-speed) and the frame is from Cromor tubing with Campagnolo dropouts. About the cosmetics, the bike is maroon and has a Bianchi decal on the seat tube and the Bianchi shield on the headtube. I also has a E. Bianchi signature decal on the top tube, but no indication of the model. I was looking at some lo-res Bianchi catalogs from the early 1990s but it doesn't look like anything there. The unusual thing is that that my bike has chrome-plated fork and stays and none of the bikes in those catalogs do.

The serial number engraved on the bottom bracket is F1101 but I couldn't find any info about it.

Anyways, if someone has any useful tips about it, it would be appreciated!

Note: I posted this in the "show off your Bianchi thread", but then realized this might be a more fitting thread!
Welcome to the forum. I see that you are located in Denmark. This is both bad and good. It's bad because most forum memberrs are located in the USA (or Canada, like myself) and Bianchi models varied significantly between markets. However, it is good because all bicycles imported into Denmark were stamped with a supplementary VIN number that will tell us the manufacturing year. The VIN number is typically stamped on the lower seat tube or down tube. The critical character is the letter suffix, which denotes the year (E = 1989, F = 1990, G =1991, H =1992)

Having said that, your bicycle is equipped with Shimano 105SC, which was introduced in 1990. Based on 14 speeds and the absence of the self-extractor bolt for the cranket, it should be 1990-1992. During this era, the USA market model with Shimano 105SC was the Alfana with a Tange tubeset and typically manufactured in Japan or Taiwan. Given the Cromor tubeset, your bicycle was probably manufactured in Italy and may have been given a different model name. Picture assist...
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-15-20, 03:40 PM
CatalysaurusRex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi T-Mar, thanks a lot for the friendly welcome and for the information! (and also for posting the picture)

I had a look at the Danish VIN number, which in this case is engraved on the bottom bracket (I did check it before buying to make sure that the bicycle had not been reported stolen!). The letter suffix is J, meaning 1993. So I guess this is a bike from the 1992 or 93 model year?
Old 06-15-20, 06:36 PM
T-Mar

Hi T-Mar, thanks a lot for the friendly welcome and for the information! (and also for posting the picture)

I had a look at the Danish VIN number, which in this case is engraved on the bottom bracket (I did check it before buying to make sure that the bicycle had not been reported stolen!). The letter suffix is J, meaning 1993. So I guess this is a bike from the 1992 or 93 model year?
Yes J is 1993. All the VIN I've seen have been stamped prior to painting, so it shouldn't be a 1992 model. That's surprising because, as I previously mentioned, 105SC got some upgrades in 1993 , which included 8 speed and slightly revised crankarms with a self-extractor bolt. Maybe 105SC wasn't popular in Italy and the Bianchi factory had excess 1992 stock? BTW, I'd appreciate the alpha prefix from the VIN number, so I know the Bianchi importer. TIA.
Old 06-16-20, 03:48 AM
CatalysaurusRex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes J is 1993. All the VIN I've seen have been stamped prior to painting, so it shouldn't be a 1992 model. That's surprising because, as I previously mentioned, 105SC got some upgrades in 1993 , which included 8 speed and slightly revised crankarms with a self-extractor bolt. Maybe 105SC wasn't popular in Italy and the Bianchi factory had excess 1992 stock? BTW, I'd appreciate the alpha prefix from the VIN number, so I know the Bianchi importer. TIA.
Haha, they might have sent the bikes with the surplus 105SC parts up north So, the full VIN number is WDN 0910 J.
Old 06-18-20, 08:09 PM
Remlap13

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!

I'm hoping you wonderful folks can help me identify an old Bianchi Premio that's been collecting dust in my basement. I bought it second hand about 6-7 years ago and never really used it all that much. I was in a bike shop with my wife getting her some new padded shorts, and started chatting up the owner. When I mentioned I had an old Bianchi, he got super excited and told me to bring it by.

Serial No: H7M19623
Colour: Celeste

It's got some engraving on the front of the handlebars that says "HSINLUNG HL" surrounded by a wreath (on either side of the stem). Suntour frame shifters that are labelled as "ACCUSHIFT" and "JAPAN". Crank says "Sugino VP" on it. Each nut on the front gears has "Sugino Chain Wheels" engraved. Looks like Shimano derailleur.

​Any info you can give me would be great!
Old 06-19-20, 06:06 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Remlap13
Hello!

I'm hoping you wonderful folks can help me identify an old Bianchi Premio that's been collecting dust in my basement. I bought it second hand about 6-7 years ago and never really used it all that much. I was in a bike shop with my wife getting her some new padded shorts, and started chatting up the owner. When I mentioned I had an old Bianchi, he got super excited and told me to bring it by.

Serial No: H7M19623
Colour: Celeste

It's got some engraving on the front of the handlebars that says "HSINLUNG HL" surrounded by a wreath (on either side of the stem). Suntour frame shifters that are labelled as "ACCUSHIFT" and "JAPAN". Crank says "Sugino VP" on it. Each nut on the front gears has "Sugino Chain Wheels" engraved. Looks like Shimano derailleur.

​Any info you can give me would be great!
Welcome to the forum. Your Premio was manufactured in late 1987 by Hodaka of Taiwan. That should make it a 1988 model but there is a very small probability that it could be a 1987. If you want to determine the exact model year, we'll need a more than just a single photo showing the handlebar branding. A photo of the entire bicycle, taken from the drive side, should suffice. Based on the submitted photo, the colour looks like it may be Turquoise, as opposed to Celeste. The fact that it's a late 1980s, entry level, Taiwanese model with Japanese components and possibly not Celeste, may dampen the LBS owner's enthusiasm.

Old 06-19-20, 07:13 AM
Remlap13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome information TMar!

I was going to take more pictures but when I tried submitting my post with the picture originally, it told me I couldn't until I had made 10 forum posts.

While it will likely dampen the LBS owners enthusiasm, I personally find it quite interesting. I'm a 1988 baby as well, and absolutely love Japan. Took language classes in highschool, travelled there, and will be returning when international travel is safe again.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: I've attempted to upload another picture!

Last edited by Remlap13; 06-19-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-20-20, 06:06 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Remlap13
That's awesome information TMar!

I was going to take more pictures but when I tried submitting my post with the picture originally, it told me I couldn't until I had made 10 forum posts.

While it will likely dampen the LBS owners enthusiasm, I personally find it quite interesting. I'm a 1988 baby as well, and absolutely love Japan. Took language classes in highschool, travelled there, and will be returning when international travel is safe again.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: I've attempted to upload another picture!
I had a look at the additional picture, thank-you. It's definitely a 1988 model and definitely not celeste. In fact, I'll go out a limb and state that it not a USA market model like we typically see on the forum but a Canadian market model. Photo assist...

Old 06-21-20, 05:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts

I am not expert on European models but the seat stay attachment seems clunky to me for a Bianchi of this era. Is there a brand stamped on the dropouts or did I miss it somewhewre. Any actual Bianchi cartouches?

I thought this was the Cromor frame from the '93 Reparto Corse catalog but that has semivertal dropouts as do most '93 frames.

I went back over the bpost and aw this has Campagnolo dropouts. Bianchi hadn't used Campagnolo dropouts on frame for the US arket since the early '80s. While I understand the bikes for different markets might have different it due to local taste I can't see Bianchi using Gipieme Dropouts in the US market and Campagnolo in others.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 06-21-20 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Add something. I intended to update earlier but got sidetracked and I think that is why this got double posted
Old 06-21-20, 06:10 AM
T-Mar

^ I'm seeing double!
Old 06-22-20, 09:43 AM
Remlap13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a look at the additional picture, thank-you. It's definitely a 1988 model and definitely not celeste. In fact, I'll go out a limb and state that it not a USA market model like we typically see on the forum but a Canadian market model. Photo assist...
That makes sense as I'm a born and bred Canadian!

When I took it to the LBS, he was definitely disappointed. The bike was also in worse shape than expected. He figured about $350-$400 to get it "road ready" again, which I figured was too expensive. I might try taking this Bianchi down to the frame for something to do. Teach myself about how bike parts fit together at a mechanical level. I can't see anyone wanting to purchase it for more than the frame at this point anyway.
Old 06-22-20, 05:27 PM
CatalysaurusRex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I am not expert on European models but the seat stay attachment seems clunky to me for a Bianchi of this era. Is there a brand stamped on the dropouts or did I miss it somewhewre. Any actual Bianchi cartouches?

I thought this was the Cromor frame from the '93 Reparto Corse catalog but that has semivertal dropouts as do most '93 frames.

I went back over the bpost and aw this has Campagnolo dropouts. Bianchi hadn't used Campagnolo dropouts on frame for the US arket since the early '80s. While I understand the bikes for different markets might have different it due to local taste I can't see Bianchi using Gipieme Dropouts in the US market and Campagnolo in others.
Hi - thanks for your post Yeah, the dropouts definitely are (or, well, say) Campagnolo. I do make the note that the frame does not have any of the nice details that I have seen in other Bianchi bikes (e.g., Bianchi engraved on the bottom bracket), but I've also read that apparently that stuff became less frequent in the entry-level 1990s models?

I cannot post a link, but I found a German forum where they discuss two bikes that look almost exactly like mine (even the same color). If you google "Bianchi Modell Anfrage", it should be the first hit. A user there identifies it as being a Vento 909. Is that a possibility? I saw that someone managed to sell hers/his for 400 EUR, so even if it is not legit, I am happy to read that I got a better deal than that!

In the meantime, I am really enjoying riding my new old bike to and back from work everyday. However, it is looking decidedly less racey now, with a more comfortable saddle in place of the Flite Trans Am that it originally had, ugly flat plastic pedals instead of rusty clipless ones, and a u-lock mount on the seat tube. I got new celeste handlebar tape which should be a nice touch (although I'd feel somewhat of a poseur if the bike is actually a fake and I put celeste tape on it, haha).

Last edited by CatalysaurusRex; 06-22-20 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 07:07 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Bikes: Marinoni, Bianchi, Peugeot, Raleigh, CCM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Need help in identifying Ishiwata tubing

Unknown frame builder. A LBS had placed their own sticker.
Was equipped with Shimano 600 Arabesque 6 speed. Weird though, only ever seen external brake nuts for this model.
Frame weighs 2.24kg.

whole frame

Head tube

top of seat tube with tubing label

Drive side drop out

Bottom bracket with serial number
Old 06-23-20, 08:47 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by guelphite
Was equipped with Shimano 600 Arabesque 6 speed. Weird though, only ever seen external brake nuts for this model.
Frame weighs 2.24kg....
Interesting. I haven't seen that serial number format previously. Obviously Canadian market. Strange that it has top tube cable tunnels, shift lever bosses and recessed brake mounting but no bottle bosses. Long dropouts are also a bit of a surpise. Those are Shimano lever bosses, so the 600EX is probably OEM. .My guess would be very early 1980s. If you have the fork, there may be a date code on the steerer tube. Barring that, the best dating tool would be the date codes on the 600EX. While the exposed brake mounting nut was standard, there was an optional recessed mounting nut.available for the 600EX brakesets.
Old 06-23-20, 05:44 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Fork

Interesting. I haven't seen that serial number format previously. Obviously Canadian market. Strange that it has top tube cable tunnels, shift lever bosses and recessed brake mounting but no bottle bosses. Long dropouts are also a bit of a surpise. Those are Shimano lever bosses, so the 600EX is probably OEM. .My guess would be very early 1980s. If you have the fork, there may be a date code on the steerer tube. Barring that, the best dating tool would be the date codes on the 600EX. While the exposed brake mounting nut was standard, there was an optional recessed mounting nut.available for the 600EX brakesets.
It says Ishawata and 3 dot K

Fork crown to mystery frame
Old 06-23-20, 07:17 PM
T-Mar

It says Ishawata and 3 dot K...
The fork was manufactured in November 1983, which would make the bicycle a 1984 model and 2-5 years newer than my estimate. While I don't have any Canadian market Bianchi catalogues from this period, I do have some Canadian mail, order catalogues that show some models from the Bianchi line. What's very perplexing is that the 1984 Bici I, which was an entry level model with hi-tensile tubing and SunTour AR derailleurs, was equipped with bottle bosses (and short dropouts). The same catalogue also shows the Asian manufactured models as having fully chromed forks. Given these these discrepancies and the atypical S/N format, I'm wondering if this might not be a Bianchi?

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-23-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 07:59 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Mystery frame

The fork was manufactured in November 1983, which would make the bicycle a 1984 model and 2-5 years newer than my estimate. While I don't have any Canadian market Bianchi catalogues from this period, I do have some Canadian mail, order catalogues that show some models from the Bianchi line. What's very perplexing is that the 1984 Bici I, which was an entry level model with hi-tensile tubing and SunTour AR derailleurs, was equipped with bottle bosses (and short dropouts). The same catalogue also shows the Asian manufactured models as having fully chromed forks. Given these these discrepancies and the atypical S/N format, I'm wondering if this might not be a Bianchi?
Thanks T-Mar. When I picked it up, I called it a Bianchi and the owner corrected me by saying that he didn't know. Looking at your older posts, i thought it was Hi-tensil but still nice.
I'm going to rebuild her with Sachs '5000' 8 speed. I'll have pics when I'm done. Don't know about buying Bianchi stickers.
I should use my name since this company who built her up originally has got a no-name frame. Nice parts though. Save them for something else.
I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 07-12-20, 12:59 PM
Ercan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old bike serial

As far as i know i owned my bianchi bike nearly 1995.

here is serial: SW4121318

Is it possible to share manufacture date and other details according to above serial number?
Thank you
Old 07-12-20, 06:12 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Frame weighs 2.24kg.

whole frame

Head tube

top of seat tube with tubing label

Drive side drop out

Bottom bracket with serial number

Thats a Bianchi? As old as it is I am surprised there isn’t some wort of Bianchi cartouche on it anywhere. What’s on the dropouts? I am not sure I ever saw a Bianchi with factory lug lining. Is that a full CroMo frame or only the main tubes?

is that 8spd with brifters or DT shifters? You’ll need to modify the DT housing stops to fit those bosses and only some shimano shifters, non index, fit those bosses

i wouldn’t bet the farm on the whole frame having Ishiwata tubing because the steerer is. It is quite possible whoever manufactured this ordered bulk forks from a third party. A good quality steerer can save on lawsuits but the blades could be other ChroMo or even Mangalloy

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 07-12-20 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 09:00 AM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

You’re in good company. When I seen it in person I thought the same. Too bad there was no ’B’ anywhere.
With this Ishiwata frame, it’s like a Bianchi wannabe. I guess I could of but ...
Hey, when my decals arrive, I’ll post the after pic.
Too bad it wasn’t my size.
Old 07-13-20, 09:58 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Bottom bracket, BS369911, although the first 9 doesnt have the bottom of it. More like a little q. Could be a stamping error. Not sure of year or model but I did see Ishiwata on the steerer tube.

Canadian market. Based on the limited usage it received I would posit it is all OEM minus the consumables and saddle.

Old 07-13-20, 10:35 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Narhay
Bottom bracket, BS369911, although the first 9 doesnt have the bottom of it. More like a little q. Could be a stamping error. Not sure of year or model but I did see Ishiwata on the steerer tube.

Canadian market. Based on the limited usage it received I would posit it is all OEM minus the consumables and saddle.
It's definitely a Japanese manufactured 1983 model but I'm not sure of the model, as the Canadian market models typically used chromed forks during this period.
Old 07-13-20, 11:48 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
It's definitely a Japanese manufactured 1983 model but I'm not sure of the model, as the Canadian market models typically used chromed forks during this period.
Thank . That's two bikes this week you've decoded for me. Appreciate it.
Old 07-15-20, 06:44 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Okay, here is the finished product. I did purchase decals (I did study and compare a lot of bike images and am aware that they are very subtle) and used white with Dark Green outline (although it looks black).
The frame does look better once it was scrubbed and cleaned.
Even used the AME hoods. I really dislike bare levers. Only wished I had a 9 spline tool to better clean rear hub.

Drive side

left side 3/4 view

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.