Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

newer cassette hub with threads

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-23, 11:44 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 536 Posts

I have this J Henry tandem I am looking to refurbish. I would like to bump the rear to a cassette with more cogs, preferably a 9 speed. I would like 40h and might change to 700c as it is 27" right now and I would like to use the existing drag brake.

So my question is there a 40h cassette hub with threads for a drag brake. SRAM/Shimano compatible.
Old 08-31-23, 03:23 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 66 Posts
Shimano made tandem hubs with the threaded section for drag brakes, I have one set. Also White Industries made a hub for this setup. I have two wheel sets with this configuration. You will need to determine what rear spacing you will be using. These hubs were available with 140, 145 and 160. You may want to respect the dropouts on your frame. I currently have two sets of 700 wheels in 145 spacing. One Shimano 9 speed with Dyad in silver and one set using White Ind using Deep V. The drag brake will fit right on the Shimano but would need a simple modification on the White Ind. as the hole needs to be driller out a little to fit on the hub.