Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Self Contained Touring

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Self Contained Touring

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 07:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
snip . .

I truly love sleeping in a tent, and I am darn good camp chef. Penne with house-made chorizo, zucchini, shallots and fresh garlic at the Westhampton, MA KOA.
That meal looks good. Nice job, I'm more of a rice and beans or pasta kind of guy; I need to up my cooking game.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-10-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-10-17, 07:32 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If I had the gears I have now when I did my self-contained camping in my 30s, I'd have fuller use of my knees now. Alas, my previous touring female companions have found other partners. I enjoyed extended trips in northeastern US and up into Canada, three separate three week trips in France, and another two week one around the Peloponnese all cyclecamping. The one time we did a credit card tour in France, I found it to be not so much fun. Maybe that's just me.

But my current (and last!) wife isn't well suited to the details of self-contained travel, so even though I would like to again do cycle camping after I quit work, I'd have to enlist my old cycling buddy instead, who has done at least a long weekender this way. So there's hope.
Old 02-11-17, 07:40 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
I plan on a couple of overnighters this year, my problem is sleeping on the ground and my old thermarest is quite big. Any recomendations for something new? Has anyone tried a cot?
Old 02-11-17, 07:50 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by wvridgerider
I plan on a couple of overnighters this year, my problem is sleeping on the ground and my old thermarest is quite big. Any recomendations for something new? Has anyone tried a cot?
The best sleeping pad I have ever used is the REI camp bed 3.5. That thing is huge though and so won't work for self supported bike touring. I also like my REI flash insulated pad. It's 2.5 inches thick and only weighs one pound. The volume of air really matters.
Old 02-11-17, 08:24 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Oh yea its been about 20 years since I toured.
Old 02-12-17, 07:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
...I am darn good camp chef. Penne with house-made chorizo, zucchini, shallots and fresh garlic at the Westhampton, MA KOA.
Chapeau!

There's a recurring theme in science fiction: the society that advances, improves, automates, turns things over to computers and then forgets how to do things themselves.

Impressive strides have been made in camp gear and equipment, but my young camping friends can only boil water and reconstitute dehydrated meals.
Old 02-12-17, 08:19 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I would take a standard inflatable air mattress and use the tire pump to inflate it. Sleep is important for meand the aching bones would need something comfy.
Old 02-12-17, 10:10 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
If you have the opportunity, you might look at the Thermarest Pro Lite 3 or 4. They are not real thick, but I'm not convinced that more thickness equates to more comfort.

Sleeping bag (green compression sack), tent and rainfly (blue sack), Thermarest (orange bag)

They all fit compactly along with a compressible pillow (important) sil-nylon ground cloth which all fit in the bag that rides on top my rear rack. Total weight 10 lb.
Old 02-12-17, 10:16 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Doug64
If you have the opportunity, you might look at the Thermarest Pro Lite 3 or 4. They are not real thick, but I'm not convinced that more thickness equates to more comfort.

snip . ..
Well thicker is not necessarily always better but with a thinner mattress, your bones are more likely to rest on the ground. I have been impressed by how much of a difference that cushy air mattress like the REI camp bed 3.5 makes. But's huge and heavy which is a problem when bike touring.
Old 02-12-17, 02:05 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving on to the tent. I use a three man dome type tent, which is about the right size for one person and gear. Maramot. Not much heavier than a one man tent, and if you get rained in for a day the room is REALLY nice. Actually, I do not mind riding in the rain that much, but I do not like breaking camp in the rain. Just my thing.
Old 02-12-17, 02:13 PM
bikemig 

I just picked up a new 2 person tent for camping touring, the Big Agnes seedhouse SL 2. The weight is reasonable at 3 pounds 12 ounces (including the footprint, stakes, everything). I like a little larger tent as well and at 27 square feet plus an 8 foot square vestibule that will work for me.

I think a 3 person tent would feel luxurious. How much does your tent weigh?
Old 02-12-17, 02:26 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
No self contained touring if you mean tent, bags etc. We have done some credit card touring which we enjoy for a few days up to about a week. Several of our tours have been in Japan with the most recent one last fall in Hokkaido. Beautiful spot to ride! This year I'm hoping to do some in Washington state and British Columbia.
Old 02-13-17, 08:28 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I just picked up a new 2 person tent for camping touring, the Big Agnes seedhouse SL 2. The weight is reasonable at 3 pounds 12 ounces (including the footprint, stakes, everything). I like a little larger tent as well and at 27 square feet plus an 8 foot square vestibule that will work for me.

I think a 3 person tent would feel luxurious. How much does your tent weigh?
Yes, the tent is a luxury. I was told when I started tour riding that I would enjoy a larger tent, and I found that to be true. I do not remember the listed weight, but I think just under 5 pounds. I will sacrifice other things to have the larger tent. To each his own.
Old 02-13-17, 09:29 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I use a Nemo cosmo with the cover and pillow top. It inflates with a built-in foot pump and is extremely comfortable.
It is not the lightest, but does roll up and pack very nicely.
My tent is a good old REI Half Dome 2 Plus. roomy, light, and east to set up.
I use a Wiggy's outer bag from their modular system, as I am tall and it fits.
It will compress to about the size of a volley ball.
I pack my entire camp into an Ortlieb Gearbag, which packs transversely across the top of my rack and panniers.
I even stuff some food and whatnot in with the camp stuff.
Old 02-14-17, 07:06 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I have done a few. I'll link you to my tours and you can peruse and maybe get some insight and ideas.
Click Here
Old 02-14-17, 03:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
I just picked up a new 2 person tent for camping touring, the Big Agnes seedhouse SL 2.

I have one, although it needs some repairs due to "operator error." It's a good compromise between weight and space.
Old 02-14-17, 03:33 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I do not remember the listed weight, but I think just under 5 pounds.

That's not the a little more than the weight of a modern 1P tent. My UL 2P tips the scales at just over 2 lbs. The 1P version is under 2 lbs.
Old 02-14-17, 08:46 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Ronno6
snip . . .
My tent is a good old REI Half Dome 2 Plus. roomy, light, and east to set up.
snip . . .
I pack my entire camp into an Ortlieb Gearbag, which packs transversely across the top of my rack and panniers.
snip . . .
The REI Half Dome 2 is a fine tent and the plus gives you a bit of extra room over the 2; plus the price is very good.

What is the ortlieb gear bag? Curious as the half dome tent does not fold down as small as some other tents.
Old 02-15-17, 01:25 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I wonder if many 50+ riders go on self contained tour rides.
My unscientific but first hand participatory observation is the largest block of self-contained touring cyclists are in the mid 50s to early 70s range followed closely by teens and 20 year olds. I being currently in that older group but once upon a time in the younger.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 02-15-17, 10:30 AM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
The REI Half Dome 2 is a fine tent and the plus gives you a bit of extra room over the 2; plus the price is very good.

What is the ortlieb gear bag? Curious as the half dome tent does not fold down as small as some other tents.
See post #33. The yellow bag is one of them.......
I guess ti is called the Rack Pack.
I can't remember shat size mine is, but it holds the tent.poles,sleeping bag and mattress.
Other small stuff will fit,too.
I bungee corded mine across my rear rack and panniers, but, if you have Ortlieb
panniers, it has straps and snaps on it that allow you to snap it onto their panniers.
Nice system.

Last edited by Ronno6; 02-15-17 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 08:34 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Western Flyer
My unscientific but first hand participatory observation is the largest block of self-contained touring cyclists are in the mid 50s to early 70s range followed closely by teens and 20 year olds.

Those of more often the age groups of people who can take a summer off to do something like a x-country tour. There were 12 participants (not counting the leader) on my x-country tour. Four were in their early 20s. Of those 4, 2 had just finished college, 1 had just finished her masters, and 1 was about to start her senior year of college. There was 1 person in their 50s. She was a teacher who had the summer off. 5 people were 60 or older and retired. The oldest started the tour at age 76 and turned 77 during the trip. I and another fellow were in our mid-30s. We were both between jobs.

This is pretty consistent with what I have seen on the road since then while travelling solo.