Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My annual Marathon Monday in the city.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 04:32 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts

Every year for the last 15 years I take Patriots Day off, also known as Marathon Monday. Some years I've ridden the marathon course with several different groups from the finish to the start and back again (52 miles) before the marathon starts. Some years I've caught the early Red Sox game (11:05am start) and then caught the race. The last several years I've gone and rolled around the city and dropped in at different areas to watch the race. The weather was great again this year and I also switched it up a little and took the TT bike so I could match with my kit. Just another fun Marathon Monday.
Old 04-17-17, 06:03 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Every year for the last 15 years I take Patriots Day off, also known as Marathon Monday. Some years I've ridden the marathon course with several different groups from the finish to the start and back again (52 miles) before the marathon starts. Some years I've caught the early Red Sox game (11:05am start) and then caught the race.

The last several years I've gone and rolled around the city and dropped in at different areas to watch the race. The weather was great again this year and I also switched it up a little and took the TT bike so I could match with my kit. Just another fun Marathon Monday.
I live on the Marathon route in Kenmore Square. I work on Marathon Mondays, but on occasional have ridden part of the Route early on the day of the Marathon, from Kenmore to Washington Street at Beacon as an extension of my commute. I have ridden every segment though, including from Hopkinton along the entire route (after riding out to Hopkinton via a different route). I browsed your video, and did note that it included some parts of Boston not on the Marathon route.

A BF subscriber wrote a couple weeks ago to the Commuting Forum:
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Question for anyone with getting around Boston knowledge...

I will be in the area for the Boston Marathon in three weeks

Any other tips on getting around while I'm there are much appreciated. Thanks!
Early Monday morning I need to get back to Boston Commons for the shuttle buses to Hopkinton. After the race I'll probably be hanging out while waiting for friends to come in and such.

I'm then leaving early Tuesday morning (most likely just riding back [to North Carolina] with a friend who is driving there).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for the reply, and best wishes for the Marathon. We live in Kenmore Square, on the Route, about a mile from the Finish Line. The Marathon is held on Patriot’s Day, a local holiday to celebrate the Battles of Lexington and Concord. I used to have the day off from work, and we would hold a spectator’s party.

Kenmore
Square is incredibly active on that day.Traditionally, an early baseball game is held at nearby Fenway Park, scheduled to end about the time the first runners come through.I usually visit the Marathon expo on Sunday around noon or so…

Finally, the Marathon Route is basically a straight shot of 26 miles from Hopkinton to Boston, with two sharp turns very near the finished line with the time-honored directions “Right on Hereford, left on Boylston." (as seen from Hynes Auditorium; Boylston is in the foreground, Hereford is perpendicular. The Route is on Commonwealth Ave, "Comm Ave,"coming from the left two blocks in the distance.).
Tens of thousands of runners pass down that narrow corridor from about 2 to 6 PM, and later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1440[1].jpg (96.9 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-17-17 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 07:05 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Today I was having more fun in other parts of the city we stops in to view the race. Was on the route before the race started from time to time. I used to do Hal's ride out of the Boston YMCA on Huntington Street quite a few years back.
Old 04-20-17, 08:28 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I ran on Monday. It was my first time to Boston. It's an incredible event with so many volunteers, police, runners and spectators. Random citizens would tell me, "Good luck," and "Congratulations."

I had a tough day running wise with leg cramps hitting me as early as mile 5. But I kept going just taking it all in and drinking at every gatorade/water stop. The crowd support was great. I've only done smallish races so this was a huge difference. Pretty cool experience.
Old 04-20-17, 08:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I ran on Monday. It was my first time to Boston. It's an incredible event with so many volunteers, police, runners and spectators. Random citizens would tell me, "Good luck," and "Congratulations."

I had a tough day running wise with leg cramps hitting me as early as mile 5. But I kept going just taking it all in and drinking at every gatorade/water stop. The crowd support was great. I've only done smallish races so this was a huge difference. Pretty cool experience.
Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed your stay. Do you recall passing through Kenmore Square, and where'd you eat in the North End, if I may ask?
Old 04-20-17, 06:55 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Hope you enjoyed your stay, and congrats !
Old 04-21-17, 07:25 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Hope you enjoyed your stay, and congrats !
Thanks! It was a quick visit, but enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed your stay. Do you recall passing through Kenmore Square, and where'd you eat in the North End, if I may ask?
I had a bit of a rough race and was so focused on moving forward that I didn't really know where I was most of the time. Well, other than knowing how many miles I had remaining that is. I knew Wellesley by the screaming, and Newton by the hills. But otherwise, it was mostly a blur of runners and spectators.

I didn't really stay long enough to feel like I visited Boston per say. I never made it to the North End. I ate at b.good right by the finish line on Sunday for lunch. Monday after the race I went to California Pizza at Copley Place and a bit later I went to Five Horses Tavern on Columbus.
Old 04-24-17, 06:03 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Nice video. I rode the Midnight Marathon Ride for the 4th time this year. It's the first time it wasn't really cold. It's one of my favorite events. I did a video HERE
Old 04-24-17, 07:50 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by capejohn
Nice video. I rode the Midnight Marathon Ride for the 4th time this year. It's the first time it wasn't really cold. It's one of my favorite events. I did a video HERE
I did the Hal's ride that ran out of the Boston YMCA for many years. Stopped doing it maybe 5 or 6 years ago. We would ride from the finish to the start and back again before the race started. Now I like touring the city and checking in on the race throughout the day. I've thought about the midnight ride, is it a big turnout ? Do you just ride the start to finish ?
Old 04-24-17, 09:10 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I did the Hal's ride that ran out of the Boston YMCA for many years. Stopped doing it maybe 5 or 6 years ago. We would ride from the finish to the start and back again before the race started. Now I like touring the city and checking in on the race throughout the day. I've thought about the midnight ride, is it a big turnout ? Do you just ride the start to finish ?
2800 plus did the ride this year. 300 of us put our bikes on trucks near South Station, took the commuter rail to Southboro and rode the four miles to the start in Hopkinton. Some rode both ways, some did the route in reverse and others found their way to Hopkinton for the midnight start.