Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Grinder on the Cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 04:20 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Gravel Grinder on the Cheap?

I have two nice road bikes, but would like to get a gravel grinder for use on some of the rail trails we have here in West Virginia. I have an 18-year-old frameset for a Trek 520 touring bike with linear-pull brakes, and was thinking about using that as a base to build up a 'grinder. The 520 frameset has a relaxed geometry, bosses for racks and clearance for larger tires. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work as a 'grinder? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by PhoenixBiker; 07-13-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 05:34 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The older touring bikes work fine as a grinder. My 520 is from 1990 and is set up to match my Vaya with Cowbell bars and Microshift STI shifters. It has commuting tires on right now as that is it's main job.

Last edited by katsup; 07-13-18 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-13-18, 05:39 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by PhoenixBiker
I have two nice road bikes, but would like to get a gravel grinder for use on some of the rail trails we have here in West Virginia. I have an 18-year-old frameset for a Trek 520 touring bike with linear-pull brakes, and was thinking about using that as a base to build up a 'grinder. The 520 frameset has a more relaxed geometry, bosses for racks and clearance for larger tires. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work as a 'grinder? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Both are excellent but go with the larger tire clearance frame.
Old 07-14-18, 07:12 AM
grubetown

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Both are excellent but go with the larger tire clearance frame.
Old 07-14-18, 10:09 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by grubetown

Glad I wasn't the only one confused.

Anyway, the 520 would make a great base for a gravel bike.
Old 07-14-18, 04:53 PM
Jay.Money

Bikes: The Grocery Getter.

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m doing the same thing through the marriage of a Miyata 610 and an Aquila road bike... Going used parts as much as possible.
Old 07-15-18, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I have two nice road bikes, but would like to get a gravel grinder for use on some of the rail trails we have here in West Virginia. I have an 18-year-old frameset for a Trek 520 touring bike with linear-pull brakes, and was thinking about using that as a base to build up a 'grinder. The 520 frameset has a relaxed geometry, bosses for racks and clearance for larger tires. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work as a 'grinder? Thanks in advance for your advice.
my first gravel bike was based on an early 90s Univega hybrid frame. Plenty of room for wider tires and the geometry worked great.
my brother in law's gravel bike is based on a 25yo trek hybrid that has the same true temper tubing and geometry as the 520 from that year.

A 520 frame is an excellent starting point to build something fun for dirt and gravel riding.
Old 07-15-18, 08:47 AM
PhoenixBiker 

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the affirmation! It's nice to know I'm on the right track.
Old 07-16-18, 05:42 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Here is my 2 year project turning a free craiglist bike 1994 Mongoose Rockadile into the Uber GRaveler.New paint, new bars, tires , BB, brakes over $300 into my free bike but I love it rides great.

Old 07-17-18, 11:19 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Especially if it was made for 27" tires (more tire clearance), an older road bike works great on gravel. One of my gravel rigs is an old Schwimm Passage I got off Craigslist. No complaints.
Old 07-17-18, 12:02 PM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In my experience buliding bikes is always more expensive.

I'd go for an MTB personally.
Old 07-17-18, 12:33 PM
Keiffith

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh

Brand new, yes.

But I got a >5 year old bike for $110 with a claris groupset.

If you dig around and your patient, you can certainly build a lot cheaper, just with used components
Old 07-17-18, 12:38 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

Solid point. When you say "frameset" do you mean frame and fork or are there other parts? If you have most of the original Trek 520, then all you would need to is put on the widest tires that will fit in the frame.
Old 07-17-18, 01:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts

in my experience, building a bike ranges from cheaper than new to more expensive, depending on how you buy/when you buy/where you buy.

My touring bike with an excellent frame from 1990 was built cheaper than new comparable options and with better quality components.

my gravel bike was built up for less than comparable options and with better components.
but it was also built up for more than comparable options.
it's both cheaper and more expensive, depending on what its compared to.

I've built road bikes up for way less than what its cost new, using a used frame.

and I just built a bike up from the tubes earlier this year. That was way more expensive than comparables- both production and handbuilt options.

there is hardly a standard.

as for the OP's bike, it could be set up as an excellent drop bar bike for $500-900 depending on drivetrain, wheels, etc.
almost for sure less than new options from standard retailers and almost for sure with similar/better spec.
Old 07-17-18, 02:17 PM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Should have been a bit more clear I guess.

IMO if you start with a used frame, and only use used parts it's still going to come out more expensive than just buying a similar complete used bike. And of course there is always the temptation to buy new stuff.

When talking about new, it's always more expensive. I'm not talking about buliding something half used half new that's "comparable" to a new bike, just as an example try to build up the exact same thing. Pick a bike that's available as a complete and just as a frameset, and from the frameset build the exact same bike as the complete bike using the best prices you can find online. It's going to be more expensive, no question. (Or just pick a complete groupset and add up the components separately, same thing.) Yeah, dumb example, but you get the same result if you build a custom bike from all new and up to date stuff.

Of course building is fun and I just did it with 100% brand new parts including a frameset, a complete financial disaster.

When the main objective is maximum bang for buck I still think a complete used bike wins.
Old 07-17-18, 02:52 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Solid point. When you say "frameset" do you mean frame and fork or are there other parts? If you have most of the original Trek 520, then all you would need to is put on the widest tires that will fit in the frame.
Exactly what I had in mind. I have most of the components, minus the wheels. I'll need to find a solid 36H wheelset with an 8-speed cassette (I'm a 235-pound Clydesdale). I have the crankset, bars, bar-end shifters, brakes, etc. Heck, I even have fenders and panniers if I decide to go that way.

This is not going to be ridden on singletrack, so I really don't want/need an MTB. I'm under doctor's orders not to ride singletrack (spinal fusion, degenerative discs), so I plan to use this bike on hard-packed gravel roads and rail-trails, both of which we have in abundance here in West Virginia.

Last edited by PhoenixBiker; 07-17-18 at 02:57 PM. Reason: left off some info
Old 07-17-18, 02:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
You're on the right track. My main gravel bike is a 1971 Raleigh Super Course. Really, any old bike will do. I've even ridden on a racing bike with skinny tires. It's just not ideal. But it is possible.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-17-18, 02:58 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I have built several bikes and there has not be one single time where it wasn't about a billion times more costly than if I'd have just bought a complete bike.

I'm not saying it can't be done, it just won't be done by me because I lack patience, skill and efficiency.

I do it anyway because I enjoy it, and I don't expect that I will ever recoup a single red penny on any of my bikes. It's liberating, really.

This has nothing to do with the OP thought. Yes, a Trek 520 can be used on gravel. I have no idea how expensive it will be.
Old 07-17-18, 09:12 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
It is very possible to build a cheap gravel grinder with a used / older bike. When I picked up my 520, it was hybridized with a flat bar and V-Brakes for $135. It still had it's Deore DX components (minus the brakes). After selling off the parts and purchasing what I wanted, I have about $315 into the bike. There are a couple additional items I plan to purchase, but I won't have over $400 after everything. This was more of an experiment which is why I kept track of my expenses.

It is being used for commuting with 700x35 Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires at the moment.
Old 07-18-18, 08:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Building a bike from the ground up is not cheaper than buying a bike unless you have a significant amount of the bike already on hand. Then it could be the cheapest way.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-18-18, 08:41 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You're on the right track. My main gravel bike is a 1971 Raleigh Super Course. Really, any old bike will do. I've even ridden on a racing bike with skinny tires. It's just not ideal. But it is possible.
This depends on rider skill and local conditions. I've seen lots of gravel outside the plains that has sections of rocky singletrack (and some in the plains, too). I'm sure someone could do it on 25mm tires, but someone could do it on a unicycle too. Doesn't make it a good choice.
Old 07-18-18, 08:45 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Right, some choices are dumb, for sure, but my point is that many choices are good enough. The new models are a whole lot better than the previous crop of road bikes, but plenty of old bikes fit the bill very well. I mentioned to a mechanic that I'm "converting" my old Raleigh into a gravel bike, and he said, "A 70's Super Course *is* a gravel bike," which is true enough, with its fairly slack angles and generous wheel clearance.

Old 07-18-18, 08:49 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
This depends on rider skill and local conditions. I've seen lots of gravel outside the plains that has sections of rocky singletrack (and some in the plains, too). I'm sure someone could do it on 25mm tires, but someone could do it on a unicycle too. Doesn't make it a good choice.
Also, even if sometimes it's fun to underbike a bit (or a lot) it gets pretty boring if you do it over and over on long distance rides. Then it turns into torture.
Old 07-18-18, 08:53 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, even if sometimes it's fun to underbike a bit (or a lot) it gets pretty boring if you do it over and over on long distance rides. Then it turns into torture.
Indeed. I've been glad of my > 2" tires often enough I wouldn't ever suggest someone start out on anything skinnier than 35mm - and I'd push them to 40 or 42mm first.

Tired bodies leads to resting weight on hands which leads to palsy. Not good.
Old 07-18-18, 09:44 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Exactly what I had in mind. I have most of the components, minus the wheels. I'll need to find a solid 36H wheelset with an 8-speed cassette (I'm a 235-pound Clydesdale). I have the crankset, bars, bar-end shifters, brakes, etc. Heck, I even have fenders and panniers if I decide to go that way.

This is not going to be ridden on singletrack, so I really don't want/need an MTB. I'm under doctor's orders not to ride singletrack (spinal fusion, degenerative discs), so I plan to use this bike on hard-packed gravel roads and rail-trails, both of which we have in abundance here in West Virginia.
Go for something wide if you can. 22mm Inner works well for many applications. 40mm tires are great if they fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.