Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New sealed BB or rebuild old one?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 09:18 PM
Jay.Money

Bikes: The Grocery Getter.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, I’m tinkering with building a gravel bike out of an old Miyata 610 with a 90s era 105 group. The bottom bracket doesn’t fit the frame but the 105 cranks are square taper, as is the original BB.

Should I buy a modem BB or just repack the original unsealed BB?
Old 07-16-18, 09:42 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
The bottom bracket doesnt fit the frame meaning the cups are too small or too big?
Old 07-16-18, 10:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,312 Posts
Why don't you use the current BB and test fit the 105 cranks for chain line/chain stay clearance. Then with a better understanding at to what BB spindle length works and what the current b is decide whether you rebuild the OEM or not. Andy
Old 07-17-18, 04:14 AM
Jay.Money

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
The bottom bracket doesnt fit the frame meaning the cups are too small or too big?
Cups are too big.
Old 07-17-18, 05:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay.Money
Cups are too big.
Italian threaded bottom bracket?
Old 07-17-18, 05:38 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Cups are too big.
Careful there, you're gonna get this thread locked.
Old 07-17-18, 05:39 AM
Jay.Money

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Italian threaded bottom bracket?
ummmm....

I'm new at this. 😁

Is threaded. Too big in circumference for sure. Didn’t measure width.
Old 07-17-18, 05:39 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you BB does not fit the frame what would be the point to repacking it?
Old 07-17-18, 05:41 AM
Jay.Money

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Careful there, you're gonna get this thread locked.
Hey, I didn’t name them cups... Who’s in charge of bike part nomenclature?
Old 07-17-18, 05:44 AM
Jay.Money

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you BB does not fit the frame what would be the point to repacking it?
original fits but is an old style (not sealed bearing). I was going to install the newer one (along with the rest of the 105 group it came from) and realized the newer one didn’t fit.

Question is: is a sealed BB much preferred to an unsealed older version? I’ll be riding mostly gravel roads.
Old 07-17-18, 06:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts

original fits but is an old style (not sealed bearing). I was going to install the newer one (along with the rest of the 105 group it came from) and realized the newer one didn’t fit.

Although it seems highly unlikely, it sounds like the 105 group has an Italian bottom bracket as Hillrider pointed out. Italian bottom brackets are extremely rare. You just need a new ISO bottom bracket (1.375″ diameter x 24 threads per inch or TPI). Measure the length of the spindle on the old 105 bottom bracket to get the proper length.

Question is: is a sealed BB much preferred to an unsealed older version? I’ll be riding mostly gravel roads.
Yes. In every application. A cartridge bearing bottom bracket requires zero maintenance and last thousands of miles. I can't tell you how long they last because I haven't ever worn one out in 35+ years of using them. Even cheap ones last forever.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-17-18, 08:16 AM
Jay.Money

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Although it seems highly unlikely, it sounds like the 105 group has an Italian bottom bracket as Hillrider pointed out. Italian bottom brackets are extremely rare. You just need a new ISO bottom bracket (1.375″ diameter x 24 threads per inch or TPI). Measure the length of the spindle on the old 105 bottom bracket to get the proper length.

Yes. In every application. A cartridge bearing bottom bracket requires zero maintenance and last thousands of miles. I can't tell you how long they last because I haven't ever worn one out in 35+ years of using them. Even cheap ones last forever.
K, good info. Will update to cartridge.

Further question, should the spindle length match the 105 length or the length of the original spindle (non cartridge)? I’m not sure that they’re different but wanted to be clear.

Also, what are the key measurements on a BB? Spindle length, threads per inch, diameter? Anything else? Then there’s making sure it works with the crank - square taper in this case.

Any my other considerations? Feel free to point me to Sheldon B if I’m asking basic questions. I have not done my homework yet.

The bike that the 105 group came from is a Canadian made Aquila Strada Max from the 90s. Toronto built, aluminum frame.

Old 07-17-18, 08:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hi, I’m tinkering with building a gravel bike out of an old Miyata 610 with a 90s era 105 group. The bottom bracket doesn’t fit the frame but the 105 cranks are square taper, as is the original BB.

Should I buy a modem BB or just repack the original unsealed BB?
1st, you have to clean and inspect the original bb for its condition , worn/ pitted, ? that answers one question.
Old 07-17-18, 08:45 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

K, good info. Will update to cartridge.

Further question, should the spindle length match the 105 length or the length of the original spindle (non cartridge)? I’m not sure that they’re different but wanted to be clear.

Also, what are the key measurements on a BB? Spindle length, threads per inch, diameter? Anything else? Then there’s making sure it works with the crank - square taper in this case.

Any my other considerations? Feel free to point me to Sheldon B if I’m asking basic questions. I have not done my homework yet.

The bike that the 105 group came from is a Canadian made Aquila Strada Max from the 90s. Toronto built, aluminum frame.

The spindle length should match the one used for the 105. It may also match the one on your current crank but not necessarily. More importantly, the spindle length should be wide enough so that the crank doesn't hit the frame but narrow enough that the derailer can move the chain far enough out to shift the chain to outer ring. Many old cranks use wide spindles because they are relatively flat. Newer cranks have moved the chainrings inboard and thus need shorter spindles.

There are two different bottom bracket shell widths...73mm and 68mm. The 610 should be a 68mm but measure it to be sure. The threading on the 610 is English standard or ISO (or BSA) which are the values I gave above. You shouldn't have to worry about much else.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-17-18, 11:01 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
In every application. A cartridge bearing bottom bracket requires zero maintenance and last thousands of miles. I can't tell you how long they last because I haven't ever worn one out in 35+ years of using them. Even cheap ones last forever.
With a modicum of care, a cartridge bottom bracket can last forever. But the same can be said about cup-and-cone bottom brackets.

I have a bucket full of failed cartridge bottom brackets at the shop, and I've even seen a fancy-pants Phil Wood cartridge die from neglect.
Old 07-17-18, 11:17 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
With a modicum of care, a cartridge bottom bracket can last forever. But the same can be said about cup-and-cone bottom brackets.

I have a bucket full of failed cartridge bottom brackets at the shop, and I've even seen a fancy-pants Phil Wood cartridge die from neglect.
What kind of care do you need to give to a sealed cartridge bottom bracket? Serious question. I assume some grease/lube somewhere, but where?
Old 07-17-18, 11:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
What kind of care do you need to give to a sealed cartridge bottom bracket? Serious question. I assume some grease/lube somewhere, but where?
Avoid pressure-washing the bike. Wipe down promptly after riding in corrosive conditions. Occasionally remove it from the frame to prevent corrosive galling to the bottom bracket shell. Check cartridges for failure and replace as needed.

Here's a Phil bottom bracket I literally had to hammer out off a customer's winter commuter bike. The bearing cartridges literally rusted through from salt contamination. I had to grind the rust off the outside main cartridge.

Fortunately, I was able to resurrect it by pressing in new bearing cartridges, but many inexpensive cartridge bottom brackets are less amenable to replacing the bearing cartridges:

Old 07-17-18, 12:03 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Avoid pressure-washing the bike. Wipe down promptly after riding in corrosive conditions. Occasionally remove it from the frame to prevent corrosive galling to the bottom bracket shell. Check cartridges for failure and replace as needed.

Here's a Phil bottom bracket I literally had to hammer out off a customer's winter commuter bike. The bearing cartridges literally rusted through from salt contamination. I had to grind the rust off the outside main cartridge.
Thanks for the info and the pics. I had in mind a couple of Campagnolo square taper sealed BB's, which I understand are nearly impossible to disassemble (without destroying them). They will be going into my fairer weather bikes, but I'll still try to keep an eye on them.
Old 07-17-18, 01:53 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts

Yep. I had to replace the bearings on a Phil once.

I should also also point out that I have had terrible luck trying to get a sealed bearing B.B. to work with my cottered cranks. Dammit.
Old 07-17-18, 05:36 PM
cyccommute 

We have buckets full of cartridge bearing bottom brackets at my co-op and exceeding few of them have failed. We get a few but very few considering how many we get in. On the other hand, they are cheap and easy to replace.

From my own personal experience, I’ve been through dozens of bottom brackets on dozens of bikes. No one of them has actually failed. They’ve been upgraded but I’ve never had one of any flavor from square taper to external that have failed.

On the other hand, I’ve had lots and lots and lots of loose bearing bottom brackets fail. Most of the “failures” have been due to the spindle pitting but I’ve pitted a few cups as well. The seals became better over the years but they didn’t get good enough to stop the pitting entirely.

Fortunately, I was able to resurrect it by pressing in new bearing cartridges, but many inexpensive cartridge bottom brackets are less amenable to replacing the bearing cartridges:
If the bike has a loose bearing bottom bracket, I would tell people to avoid using a pressure washer near the bearings. But a pressure washer isn’t a problem with sealed units. If your customer would have used a pressure washer liberally, they would never have corroded the bottom bracket to the level in your picture. The problem is salt and it needs to be removed as quickly as possible. Of course that level of corrosion doesn’t happen overnight nor even over a single season. It took many years to do that kind of damage.