Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sturmey-Archer Five Speed Hub Not Engaging

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-19, 05:21 PM
bike-izle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

A friends bike. When I pull on the indicator spindle as far as it will go (would be gear "1" on the shifter, more or less) the hub stops engaging. Cranks just spin.

Are pawls or something gummed up? Just an adjustment issue? Any ideas? Any input would help.

I've easily adjusted these before. It just doesn't seem like all the gears are present anymore.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-19, 06:42 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by bike-izle
A friends bike. When I pull on the indicator spindle as far as it will go (would be gear "1" on the shifter, more or less) the hub stops engaging. Cranks just spin.

Are pawls or something gummed up? Just an adjustment issue? Any ideas? Any input would help.

I've easily adjusted these before. It just doesn't seem like all the gears are present anymore.

Thanks!
If it were a pawl issue, 2nd gear would be affected too. More likely a sun gear engagement issue. Can you tell me what the model number printed on the hub shell is? If the model number is something like XRF5 with no (w) after it, it would be an older ball lock type. If it has the (w) after the model number, it is a wide range model that went into production around 2008 or so.
If we can establish that, I might be able to throw some ideas out as the internal design is somewhat different between the two.
Old 07-06-19, 08:30 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh cool! I'm away from the bike, but it's an RX-RC5 hub, and I'm pretty sure there was a w on the end (with parentheses). The bike itself isn't that old.

Thanks a lot.

PS: Do you have vids on YouTube? I just watched one of your SA tutorials. Good stuff....

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
If it were a pawl issue, 2nd gear would be affected too. More likely a sun gear engagement issue. Can you tell me what the model number printed on the hub shell is? If the model number is something like XRF5 with no (w) after it, it would be an older ball lock type. If it has the (w) after the model number, it is a wide range model that went into production around 2008 or so.
If we can establish that, I might be able to throw some ideas out as the internal design is somewhat different between the two.
Old 07-06-19, 09:25 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Oh cool! I'm away from the bike, but it's an RX-RC5 hub, and I'm pretty sure there was a w on the end (with parentheses). The bike itself isn't that old.

Thanks a lot.

PS: Do you have vids on YouTube? I just watched one of your SA tutorials. Good stuff....
Well, if it has an indicator spindle as you indicated in your post, it won't be an RX model. That is the new rotary shift type. The C in the model number indicates coaster brake.
Anyway, I recently had an issue with an RX type which I resolved by lubricating the internals with ATF.
And yes, I do have a number of videos on Youtube, such as this one.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-06-19 at 09:34 PM.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 07-06-19, 09:52 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It definitely had "RC5", and it definitely has an indicator spindle/chain. I'll watch the vid. And what does "ATF" mean?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Well, if it has an indicator spindle as you indicated in your post, it won't be an RX model. That is the new rotary shift type. The C in the model number indicates coaster brake.
Anyway, I recently had an issue with an RX type which I resolved by lubricating the internals with ATF.
And yes, I do have a number of videos on Youtube, such as this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gU6PuvfgDY
Old 07-06-19, 10:48 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
..... And what does "ATF" mean?

Thanks!
Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 07-07-19, 06:16 AM
Dan Burkhart 

It definitely had "RC5", and it definitely has an indicator spindle/chain. I'll watch the vid. And what does "ATF" mean?

Thanks!
OK, then it is not an RX series. The RC5 will have either an X or S in front designating the flange size. X for large flange, S for small.
If it has the (w) after the model number,it is the wide range model which is known to be problematic. It engages the sun gears by means of a sliding key rather than the locking pawls as shown in the video above.
If the indicator spindle is the correct length, the chain should still be pulling outward on the spindle at the end of travel. If the incorrect (too long) indicator is installed, the spindle may reach the end of the guide nut and the chain cannot pull it firmly into first gear.
One of the things I would check for before opening the hub.