Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are roadies going 1x11 or 1x12?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why are roadies going 1x11 or 1x12?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 05:48 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I agree that it is a fad. But thee are purposes for it.

1. You can design your gear steps so that they are consistent. On a double it is easy to have your gears so that half of them are too close to the ratios in the other ring and so they are just throw away ratios.

2. An 11 or 12 speed IS wider than a 10. that means that the "cross chaining" is still a problem. Furthermore since the cogs and rings have to be narrower they wear out faster. Also as a rule you climb in the small ring and ride flats or downhill in the big ring. This means that the ring wear is halved in a double.

Because you tend to use the small ring for climbing and you use the larger cogs - the offset of the chain is less and the wear on the chain is reduced.

3. The very large ratios on 1 x 11's etc. means that you can STILL throw a chain and a front derailleur can prevent that.

4. Having a 10, 11 and 12 on the high speed side forces the chain to turn VERY sharply and that loses a lot of power. While the common rider can't much tell because he only uses those sorts of gears downhill, a racer can tell this in an instant. Why do you think that some TT bikes are set up for 56 or 58 - 13's?

We will always see fads. And there are always horses for courses. Aero wheelsets are far too heavy if they are made out of aluminum. So they are made out of carbon fiber. Rim brakes wear out expensive carbon rims after only perhaps 10,000 miles if you're reasonably careful. So they started using disk brakes. Rather than wear out expensive rims they wear out expensive disks and replace pads a mile a minute.

But the most important thing here is that component manufacturers learned from Lance Armstrong that if they make a major change - 8 cogs to 9 - that the public would have to buy and entirely new group to keep up with the Jones (or the Armstrong's). So THAT is why we saw 10 speeds now 11, looking at 12 and this of course required new frames since you cannot "reset" a carbon frame for wider wheels and you have to have special frames and forks to fit disk brakes.

Ask ANY mechanical engineer on this planet and he will tell you that disk brakes put the loads on the frames and forks in ENTIRELY the worst possible place. Rim brakes are in the best possible locations. So in a relatively short time these framesets will fail and you have to buy a new one. And THAT IS IN THE WARRANTY of most brands. Colnago only gives you a 3 year warranty and the engineers there say that is too long.

In the Tour we just observed team frames simple fall apart. This was probably due to manufacturing errors but that highlights that you have a difficult time telling errors when they are inside the frame out of sight. In the two cases I observed the riders almost stepped off unhurt but it caused crashes of the riders behind them. But this is the cost of professional racing. Do you want it to be the cost of riding a bike for sport? So you want to be unable to buy repair parts for your components because you're two speeds behind the curve?

It might be time to reconsider the sport rather than trying to keep up with the Jones's or the Armstrong's.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 07-29-19, 06:09 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Out of all the bananas statements there I'll pickup on the "random carbon asploding" on the pro peloton to point out that Moscon's bike was run over by a car, not from the crash. But thanks for pointing out again Michael Wood's unfortunate crash.

Why the anti-Canadian hate? This thread is about 1x. Not about trashing a great rider like Woods riding for a great American team like EF.
Old 07-29-19, 06:40 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay

1. You can design your gear steps so that they are consistent. On a double it is easy to have your gears so that half of them are too close to the ratios in the other ring and so they are just throw away ratios.

2. An 11 or 12 speed IS wider than a 10. that means that the "cross chaining" is still a problem. Furthermore since the cogs and rings have to be narrower they wear out faster. Also as a rule you climb in the small ring and ride flats or downhill in the big ring. This means that the ring wear is halved in a double.

Because you tend to use the small ring for climbing and you use the larger cogs - the offset of the chain is less and the wear on the chain is reduced.

3. The very large ratios on 1 x 11's etc. means that you can STILL throw a chain and a front derailleur can prevent that.

4. Having a 10, 11 and 12 on the high speed side forces the chain to turn VERY sharply and that loses a lot of power. While the common rider can't much tell because he only uses those sorts of gears downhill, a racer can tell this in an instant. Why do you think that some TT bikes are set up for 56 or 58 - 13's?

We will always see fads. And there are always horses for courses. Aero wheelsets are far too heavy if they are made out of aluminum. So they are made out of carbon fiber. Rim brakes wear out expensive carbon rims after only perhaps 10,000 miles if you're reasonably careful. So they started using disk brakes. Rather than wear out expensive rims they wear out expensive disks and replace pads a mile a minute.

But the most important thing here is that component manufacturers learned from Lance Armstrong that if they make a major change - 8 cogs to 9 - that the public would have to buy and entirely new group to keep up with the Jones (or the Armstrong's). So THAT is why we saw 10 speeds now 11, looking at 12 and this of course required new frames since you cannot "reset" a carbon frame for wider wheels and you have to have special frames and forks to fit disk brakes.

Ask ANY mechanical engineer on this planet and he will tell you that disk brakes put the loads on the frames and forks in ENTIRELY the worst possible place. Rim brakes are in the best possible locations. So in a relatively short time these framesets will fail and you have to buy a new one. And THAT IS IN THE WARRANTY of most brands. Colnago only gives you a 3 year warranty and the engineers there say that is too long.

In the Tour we just observed team frames simple fall apart. This was probably due to manufacturing errors but that highlights that you have a difficult time telling errors when they are inside the frame out of sight. In the two cases I observed the riders almost stepped off unhurt but it caused crashes of the riders behind them. But this is the cost of professional racing. Do you want it to be the cost of riding a bike for sport? So you want to be unable to buy repair parts for your components because you're two speeds behind the curve?

It might be time to reconsider the sport rather than trying to keep up with the Jones's or the Armstrong's.
I know when I have the choice of going for a ride on a C&V bike or my carbon framed, 1x, disc braked bike with deep wide aero rims and tyres, I always choose the latter.
So much so that the older stuff never got ridden and I sold it.
Sure its cool to look at or go for a ride on now and again for something different and a bit of nostalgia but thats about it.
Old 07-29-19, 11:30 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Nothing wrong with cross-chaining, right?
Old 07-30-19, 06:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Nothing wrong with cross-chaining, right?
There's that, but I'm also wondering how you land on your lowest gearing (he only uses the big ring) after getting up to speed. Doesn't that imply that he's doing things bass awkwards and using his taller gearing to accelerate and lowest to cruise?
Old 07-30-19, 07:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
All you wannabe's jumping on the multi-ring bandwagon. 1x is not some new fad, it's retro.
Old 07-31-19, 05:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
Update! Per OP's post in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...t-fitness.html he sold the Madone for a profit and is going to buy and build up a Lynskey. Didn't say if it would be 1X but I applaud the Lynskey choice
Old 07-31-19, 06:17 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Here’s my Litespeed Ti.
I’m definitely going to ditch it this week though because I just figured out that without paint it is less visible and too dangerous to ride in foggy conditions
How are you liking your Litespeed?
Old 07-31-19, 06:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by fronesis
These threads seem to always break down into three categories of participants:

1. People who have never really ridden 1x who are bizarrely fixated on why they hate it so much, and seem to have to make threads about why it's a terrible idea.

2. Reluctant responders who have been riding 1x and can report that it works out great: cross-chaining isn't a problem; drivetrain noise and wear isn't a problem; the jumps between gears are not as big as everyone thinks they are (check out a gear calculator and compare to the compact doubles most people are riding today); and there are some real advantages in simplicity.

3. Everyone else who brings along the popcorn and throws in the occasional (and justifiable) jokes about SRAM FDs.

Bottom line: I don't think anyone riding 1x plans to take anyone's FD's away, so give it a rest.
I hate to take a serious tone in this thread, but after spending a 3 week vacation in the Rockies riding my 1X MTB, I am sending it packing. I much preferred my previous 3X.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-31-19, 06:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I was wondering where to ask this question. This thread seems like the best place. Should I use aluminum or stainless for my maque choux, coated or bare surface?

Old 07-31-19, 06:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Are those slices of SPAM? Love it! Iron skillet if you want it browned.
Old 07-31-19, 06:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Carbon steel pan, obv.
Old 07-31-19, 07:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Are those slices of SPAM? Love it! Iron skillet if you want it browned.
Andouille sausage. I prefer tasso, but the store I went to didn't have any.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-31-19, 08:23 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Update! Per OP's post in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...t-fitness.html he sold the Madone for a profit and is going to buy and build up a Lynskey. Didn't say if it would be 1X but I applaud the Lynskey choice
Originally Posted by MyTi
Even if you race unless you are a paid to race, sponsored professional, it makes zero sense to spend thousands on a bike.
I guess @MyTi is now a sponsored professional.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-31-19, 08:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I hate to take a serious tone in this thread, but after spending a 3 week vacation in the Rockies riding my 1X MTB, I am sending it packing. I much preferred my previous 3X.
Preach it Brother, you have seen the light!
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-31-19, 09:39 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
I had to sell the madone. It did not fit and the bike shop wouldn't take it back the liars. They said I got a good deal and could sell it for twice what I bought it for. Ironically they were right, I sold it for almost twice what I paid for it(not including tax). Made a little profit and I am going to buy a Lynskey 6-4 ti frame and will probably just build it up myself. I'm thinking Ultegra disc groupset.
I’ll just leave this here...It’s from his shill thread about getting another 4 MPH without gaining fitness...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-31-19, 09:48 AM
noodle soup

I'm amazed at how quickly @MyTi sells his bikes. It usually takes more than one day for a bike to sell in my area.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-31-19, 09:54 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
I’ll just leave this here...It’s from his shill thread about getting another 4 MPH without gaining fitness...
There have been questions about why the mods let a thread like this run. I wonder why they let obvious trolls stay on board.
Old 07-31-19, 10:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'm amazed at how quickly @MyTi sells his bikes. It usually takes more than one day for a bike to sell in my area.
I know, right? It took days to give a pair of bibs away on Craigslist. People don't show up, if you're feeling something they low ball you ... it's not an instant thing.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-31-19, 10:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
There have been questions about why the mods let a thread like this run. I wonder why they let obvious trolls stay on board.
I'm guessing that greater site traffic supports higher ad rates. You do know that BF is not some grass roots thing, don't you? It's very much a for-profit venture.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-31-19, 11:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's still going because it hasn't broken any rules. Whether not there is a point to any of this doesn't matter. This thread lives because you all keep posting in it.

Griping about a thread from inside that very thread is like complaining that someone is in your shoes, and then pointing at your own feet, in your shoes.
Old 07-31-19, 11:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's still going because it hasn't broken any rules. Whether not there is a point to any of this doesn't matter. This thread lives because you all keep posting in it.

Griping about a thread from inside that very thread is like complaining that someone is in your shoes, and then pointing at your own feet, in your shoes.
Good point.

I’m out!
Old 07-31-19, 12:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Where else will you find 12 pages of free entertainment? Considering OP's other threads and IDs, he's on a roll! I'm sticking around for the Lynskey thread
Old 07-31-19, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
I am not griping about this thread not being locked. I have learned to suffer most trolls gladly. Especially the obvious ones.
Old 07-31-19, 02:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Sometimes these wandering, pointless threads end up becoming useful. This one, for example, showed me that Indyfab is not nearly as ugly as I had envisioned him being. Sorry Seattle Forrest...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.