Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a rear view mirror?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 02:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I've been riding a road bike about 15 years. My rides are typically 95% rural roads with the urban streets being what's needed to get out of town. I've tried various mirrors with most of them in my early days of riding. At that time I never found a bar or helmet mirror I liked or didn't find distracting.

I've always looked over my shoulder to check on vehicles coming behind me on left turns. I can normally hear vehicles coming up from behind and maintained "faith" they would give me enough room to avoid hitting me. That approach has worked well for me.

There have been a couple times when I was riding on a high mph road with a rumble strip accompanied by a shoulder. I might ride out in the road if the shoulder was pretty narrow or joints made it pretty jarring. If a vehicle was coming up and I knew I might get squeezed I'd cross over the rumble strip onto the paved shoulder until the vehicle would pass.

Anyway, after some research I just got a bar end mirror for my left drop. I think it's a Sprintech and supposedly a good model. It took 2 mins to install and I gave it a try yesterday on a long ride. It works as advertised but I'm not sure it will do what I was hoping.

The challenge is it's just not visual enough for me to be able to glance down to see how much room a vehicle is giving me until it's pretty close to me. I also found I was looking back more instead of looking forward. I'm thinking I need to be concentrating more on what's ahead of me than what's behind.

Those of you with more experience, how have mirrors helped you? Should I just give it more time?
Old 05-07-17, 02:39 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at take a look helmet mirror. Ten bucks just about anywhere. I often take a look over my shoulder even when I use a mirror. Force of habit.
Old 05-07-17, 03:25 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
+1 for the helmet mirror. Took me a few rides to adjust from a bar mounted mirror to a helmet mounted one but wouldn't go back. The ability to see all around behind me by just slightly moving my head greatly increases my SA.
Old 05-07-17, 04:01 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can hardly imagine riding without one. Just became habitual. I use the kind that mounts on my eyeglasses.
Old 05-07-17, 04:07 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
I've used bar end mirror for 10 years commuting. I just glance at it every 15 seconds or so. That is enough for me to maintain situational awareness behind me. If something serious looks like it is developing I swing around to look (usually gets their attention) and plan my escape route. Use it like peripheral vision... not for detail but for movement of big potentially dangerous objects.
Old 05-07-17, 04:10 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
HIGHLY recommended. I use mine all the time. Funny you would mention it, because mine flew off on a 30 MPH descent yesterday. At first, I thought I had a near miss with a bird!

I only rode another 7 miles or so after that, but felt completely naked.

Here is a link to one instance where I was VERY happy I had a mirror. There are others. Like for example, the time I was about to veer right to avoid a pothole, and a quick look in my mirror showed a tandem passing me on my right. :-o No way I would have seen them looking over my shoulder. As a matter of fact, if I tired, I'd have likely HIT the pothole.

Anyway, check this out. Looking over your shoulder wouldn't have helped in this situation, either.

https://www.bikeforums.net/16739164-post17.html

Old 05-07-17, 04:15 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Second note: Get a helmet or an eyeglass mirror. You can see much more, don't need a convex lens (which distorts distance judgments). Trust me ... they rock.

Old 05-07-17, 04:30 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
^^ Yeah, I have one of those kidney shaped bar end mirrors. Not quite useless, but I can usually hear a car before I see it in the mirror. Cars that have daytime running lights are the easiest to see. Those things should be standard.
Old 05-07-17, 04:52 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I use an Italian style bar end mirror on both my road bikes and have no issues with them. I never could get the hang of eyeglass mirrors and the fact that they tend to pull the glasses down your nose when you sweat. I went the helmet mirror route and found them much better than the eyeglass mirror until I started using an aerobar on my bike. The instant you go aero, the mirror is worthless because the adjustment you had when using the hoods is now gone because of the difference in riding position. Trying to move your head around to regain the image of the road behind you just doesn't work. The only issue I have with the mirrors that I use, again, is when I go into the aero position. The elbow tends to hide the mirror but unlike a helmet or eyeglass mirror, a simple lift of the elbow and you still see everything behind you.

If you don't use aerobars, then I would suggest a helmet mirror.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-07-17, 05:00 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Another vote for the glasses-mount take-a-look mirror. I still have bar-end mirrors, but mostly for redundancy. For me there is no comparison, the glasses mount TAL mirror is outstanding.
Old 05-07-17, 05:07 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Glad to see so many people recommending using a mirror. I wouldn't ride without now. I use a Myracle Mirror on my drop bar and I can adjust it so that it is easily visible and shows the road behind me clearly. Gives me a lot confidence when I need to "take the lane" or when I need to veer toward the center of the road to avoid debris along the shoulder.
Old 05-07-17, 05:17 PM
Ravenwing

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a bar end mirror since my limited neck flexibility just doesn't allow for much over the shoulder looking. Its enough to give me some indication that something is back there, but to be honest, I find Cat Ears wind noise reducers to be even more valuable. They allow me to hear cars and trucks coming up behind, often well in advance of when I notice them in the mirror. Haven't had much luck with glasses or helmet mounted mirrors. Seems like I can never get them adjusted just right, and always end up knocking them off or out of kilter.
Old 05-07-17, 05:19 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
++1 For mirrors. In busy traffic I glance down all the time to check for traffic. When I move lanes I check my mirror and then glance over my shoulder. I can't ride comfortably without one

Bear
Old 05-07-17, 05:33 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I won't ride the roads without one. And with the Garmin Varia rearview radar it is even better, single or tandem. My stoker really appreciates the Varia when we're on the tandem.
Old 05-07-17, 05:35 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Once you get used to riding with a mirror, you are likely to keep using one. I ride a recumbent trike with a 27 degree seat angle. It's not possible to look back by turning my head. I use the Myrrycle too. It's one of the more adjustable kind and gives me about the same view I would get from a car mirror. They run around $15. I tried the glasses mount take-a-look and couldn't get used to it. There's no learning curve on a bar end mirror.
Old 05-07-17, 06:00 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I use a Third Eye bar end mirror on each of my road bikes. I'm accustomed to their use, and after a few thousands of miles of experience, I can evaluate distances/vehicles behind me reasonably well.

I would not want to ride without some sort of rear view mirror.
Old 05-07-17, 06:18 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I tried a bar end mirror on my drop bars, and gave it up because I couldn't get used to shifting my lean angle to get the right angle to see it. I found that eyeglass or helmet mirror are more convenient.

I prefer them on sunglasses because I ride sometimes sans helmet and I like to have a mirror even so. But it doesn't really replace the over the shoulder look. I use it for planning ahead and then look back before I do.
Old 05-07-17, 06:25 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts
Never tried one, but if I did I would probable go with the bar end one.
Old 05-07-17, 06:27 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Make um Tall

Old 05-07-17, 06:35 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Never. But I pick my roads and times. Not a commuter.
Old 05-07-17, 06:54 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I started using a Mirrycle Mountain (bar-mounted) mirror about four years ago and I can't ride without one now. One thing I have noticed is that I have way less neck pain from not glancing over my shoulder all the time.

I feel like the closer I can make the cycling experience to driving a car, the safer I am going to be, as there's less of a readjustment curve when I get out of my car and onto a bicycle. I only wish those directional signals for bicycles weren't so dorky!

Regarding the helmet mirrors that everyone raves about, they must be effective for so many people to use them, but I don't like the idea of putting that much metal and glass so close to my face and my eyes.
Old 05-07-17, 07:09 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I started using a Mirrycle Mountain (bar-mounted) mirror about four years ago and I can't ride without one now. One thing I have noticed is that I have way less neck pain from not glancing over my shoulder all the time.

I feel like the closer I can make the cycling experience to driving a car, the safer I am going to be, as there's less of a readjustment curve when I get out of my car and onto a bicycle. I only wish those directional signals for bicycles weren't so dorky!

Regarding the helmet mirrors that everyone raves about, they must be effective for so many people to use them, but I don't like the idea of putting that much metal and glass so close to my face and my eyes.
Third eye mirror are made of shattered proof glass. Beside, I wear eye protection (against pebbles thrown by other cyclists or insect amongst other things) which are more closer to my eyes than the mirror anyway.
Old 05-07-17, 07:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Helmet mirror. Turn my head and scan the road behind me.
Old 05-07-17, 07:39 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Bar end mirror. It's in the same place relative to my eye as the mirror on my car, so it is natural to use.
Old 05-07-17, 07:46 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
...Those of you with more experience, how have mirrors helped you? Should I just give it more time?
Hi @jppe,

I believe I asked you if you wore a rearview mirror on your cross-country ride (no) and your experience was as you described in this thread. I'm a "mirror maven," at least IMO, and here's my frequent post:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror. The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:
  1. Riding on the left-hand side of a one-way street
  2. Riding in the middle or left lanes of a two-way thoroughfare
  3. In a rotary
  4. On a curved road to the right
  5. When passing entrance/exit ramps from a freeway, with the right hand mirror, I can view the ramps to my right, and stay wide of them, while watching upcoming traffic on my left, all while almost continuously looking straight ahead
  6. When the sun is directly behind, usually one mirror can be positioned away from the glare of the sun
  7. When wearing a backpack, usually one mirror has a less-obstructed view over my shoulder.
My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”

Originally Posted by zacster
… I can also HEAR what's coming at me, with 2 exceptions. #1 and the most usual suspect is another bike. #2 is an electric bus or car…
One other situation where hearing is ineffective, even on rural roads, occurs when being passed by one car, and I'm never sure that another one is following the first. No problem with a mirror.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
While one may not agree with the utility of a mirror, it's always disheartening to me to read of active discouragement of the practice, in this case based on one incident.

IMO shoulder checks also have their drawbacks, such as limited rotation of the head and torso, distraction of forward vision, possible deviation of the handlebars as one twists; whereas a mirror does allow easy and frequent rearward monitoring to anticipate problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.