Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best way to pass the time on the bike trainer at the gym

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 07:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

I live in the snow belt, and simply dont like to ride outside when it is cold. I am one of the fortunate people that among the medical perks I get in retirement is a gym membership. Since I am a bent rider, I use the bent style exercise machine. However, and as 99% of the people know a stationary trainer indoor is boring to tears, even tho the trainer I use has a TV screen.

What I have found great is to have someone with you that you can converse with. In my case I have met up with a couple of guys that love to talk politics with me WITHOUT getting all offended or upset. When we get to discussing current events, the time has gone so quickly that a couple of times now, I have ridden half again more mileage I intended.
Old 12-08-18, 08:41 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I like to evaluate the...fitness ... of the women club members... in a totally non creepy way.
Old 12-08-18, 08:45 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
IMO, the best way to pass time on any indoor trainer is intervals. You become focused on intensity during the ON periods and wishing for more time in the REST periods.
Old 12-08-18, 02:44 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I watch shows and movies on my iPad. I have a pair of water resistant Bluetooth headphones I use. Usually in the gym I don’t do intervals and just use one of the random programs and keep my heart rate above a certain level.
Old 12-08-18, 03:38 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I like to evaluate the...fitness ... of the women club members... in a totally non creepy way.

Oxymoron alert!

Unless you are a woman as well.
Old 12-08-18, 05:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I live in the snow belt, and simply dont like to ride outside when it is cold. I am one of the fortunate people that among the medical perks I get in retirement is a gym membership. Since I am a bent rider, I use the bent style exercise machine. However, and as 99% of the people know a stationary trainer indoor is boring to tears, even tho the trainer I use has a TV screen.

What I have found great is to have someone with you that you can converse with. In my case I have met up with a couple of guys that love to talk politics with me WITHOUT getting all offended or upset. When we get to discussing current events, the time has gone so quickly that a couple of times now, I have ridden half again more mileage I intended.
I am fortunate to be able to pay without complaint for my gym membership at the local hospital, and also don't mind riding my bike in the winter. I combine both by riding everyday to the gym to swim in the heated pool. The bike ride is 12 miles r/t.

Listening to audio books while riding my bicycle makes the ride a pleasurable activity rather than boring workout drudgery.
Old 12-08-18, 06:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Pray
Old 12-08-18, 06:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If I'm going to be on a bike at the gym, it'll be in a spin class. Otherwise, I prefer to use the treadmill or rowing machine at the gym and ride my trainer at home.
Old 12-08-18, 07:26 PM
protojoe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same problem with the dreadmill and bike trainer. What I think works best for me is to tune to something like "Law and Order". Its seems like I can always find a rerun on. I'll get interested and want me stay with it until the end of the episode. I sometimes use the commercials to do some speed work.
Old 12-08-18, 07:41 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm trying to decide if it is worth joining a gym. When it is not raining here in the winter, it is usually mild enough to bike outside. The idea of breathing a bunch of exhaled, sweaty air and having a bunch of people sweating and secreting all over stuff that I touch is off-putting.
Old 12-08-18, 09:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I enjoy my solo indoor trainer time. It's hard for me to concentrate on one thing at a time. So the only time I watch TV or movies uninterrupted is during trainer sessions. Otherwise my attention is divided between the TV, computer, music or news on the radio, etc.

I use 30-45 minute TV shows for interval training (mostly raucous sci-fi), and movies for 90 minute or longer base sessions.

When a friend gave me his old Cycleops after my shoulder injury in May I figured I'd get bored quickly. But it's actually maintained and improved my conditioning despite injuries, illnesses and surgery this year.

But I get bored with training videos and rigid goals. So I do makeshift fartlek training based on repetitive schtick and tropes. While I'm watching sci-fi every time a character spouts a sci-fi cliche I sprint for 30 seconds. Some sci-fi shows are exhausting. Like Andromeda. So terrible, yet so good for interval training.
Old 12-09-18, 09:33 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I enjoy my home trainer enough that I don't feel I need something to pass the time. I bought a Kickr Core a few months ago and once I get going I feel like I can go for hours on it with Zwift. When I tell myself I'm just doing a half hour session to loosen up, I always end up at 45 minutes before I even think about stopping. When I plan for an hour, I end up at one and a half. When I do The Sufferfest instead I do the selected workout and I'm cooked when it's over, so I never go over my time. When I first bought my Fluid 2 years ago though it was a different story. If I made it to half an hour it was a lot.

So what was the difference? It isn't the trainer. The thing that keeps me interested is the metrics. Even before I bought the Kickr I started using my Fluid 2 and tracking everything through Zwift and The Sufferfest. Even though I'm not training for the TdF, nor am I even that strong in comparison to others, but just seeing that improvement, the power I can put out and keep putting out, keeps me interested. That is much more important than staying entertained.
Old 12-09-18, 09:47 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
podcasts and here are some suggestions Best Podcasts of 2018: New and Returning Shows to Listen to | Time
Old 12-09-18, 10:32 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
IMO, the best way to pass time on any indoor trainer is intervals. You become focused on intensity during the ON periods and wishing for more time in the REST periods.
Agree. Intervals seem to make the time go a lot faster. On other days run, row or use the elliptical at the gym. The variety helps combat some of the boredom. Music gets me through.
Old 12-09-18, 01:56 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While indoor trainers by themselves are boring, they do serve a purpose. Over the last two years I have only gained about 5 pounds over the winter riding the bent trainer. In the years before I gained approx 15 pounds. Then in the spring now when I go out for the first time, it is almost like I have lost very little leg strength.
Old 12-09-18, 02:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Caption Planet Fitness have monitor in view of their cycles so that's the only time I get to watch the boob tube and catch up on all the gossip and fake news.
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Oxymoron alert!

Unless you are a woman as well.
Yah. Fortunately with the plus size girls at Planet Fitness that's not a remote issue.
Old 12-10-18, 08:10 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I notice people frequently watch cooking shows on the TV at the gym. ​​​I wonder if people watch exercise videos while they cook.
Old 12-10-18, 08:34 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
I notice people frequently watch cooking shows on the TV at the gym. ​​​I wonder if people watch exercise videos while they cook.
Made my morning!
Old 12-10-18, 08:38 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Trainers are good for waiting for a treadmill to free up.
Old 12-10-18, 09:24 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Head phones and heavy metal / hard rock music.

Otherwise get a fat bike for winter riding. You won't be as cold as you think.
Old 12-10-18, 09:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
at the gym when I am at a station for a long time, like the stair climber, stationary bike or treadmill, I've been known to binge watch old TV shows or corny movies. nothing I really have to pay attention to, but at least it's my choice & not the sometimes crappy TV the gym has going like game shows or soap operas
Old 12-10-18, 12:42 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Not just the cooking but people gorging themselves with the finished products. The last type of show that should be playing at PF. I don't understand that.
Old 12-10-18, 05:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I'm trying to decide if it is worth joining a gym. When it is not raining here in the winter, it is usually mild enough to bike outside. The idea of breathing a bunch of exhaled, sweaty air and having a bunch of people sweating and secreting all over stuff that I touch is off-putting.
Ah, just get over that. Contact with more and different bacteria strengthens the immune system. It's good for you. Americans have, IMO, a creepy need for cleanliness. Just be an animal like anyone else.

We joined our first gym in '79, members ever since at some gym. We mostly lift weights, but have done spin classes which were OK. It's fun to get out, make and see new friends, and in general have a good time while hurting ourselves as much as possible.
Old 12-10-18, 06:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
While indoor trainers by themselves are boring, they do serve a purpose. Over the last two years I have only gained about 5 pounds over the winter riding the bent trainer. In the years before I gained approx 15 pounds. Then in the spring now when I go out for the first time, it is almost like I have lost very little leg strength.
Yes, all that really helps. I didn't train through one winter, years ago, and took a vow to never repeat the experience. Over 50, it's too quick to lose, and too painful to get back. On the trainer or spin class, I focus hard on my weak spots and make my legs hurt. You would not want to try talking to me. I seldom have enough breath to speak in complete sentences.
Old 12-10-18, 06:41 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Ah, just get over that. Contact with more and different bacteria strengthens the immune system. It's good for you. Americans have, IMO, a creepy need for cleanliness. Just be an animal like anyone else.

We joined our first gym in '79, members ever since at some gym. We mostly lift weights, but have done spin classes which were OK. It's fun to get out, make and see new friends, and in general have a good time while hurting ourselves as much as possible.
I had my first day there, today.

Wife is an immunologist/virologist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.