Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bodies: Cyclists vs. soccer players

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bodies: Cyclists vs. soccer players

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 12:11 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Soccer fans sure are passionate about a silly game.
Old 07-16-14, 12:12 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Just_Ride
Some cyclists stand at 6.3 and way just 10.9 st. Cyclists on average are very skinny, the all rounder riders anyway, they don't work on core strength because they don't need to, but footballers, like any athlete who plays in a contact sport has to develop their core strength.
Core strength is actually very important for cyclists when it comes to endurance.
Old 07-16-14, 12:14 PM
Just_Ride

Bikes: Ventura CP50. It's not too bad.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Core strength is actually very important for cyclists when it comes to endurance.
Google Image Result for

Clearly not that much.
Old 07-16-14, 12:18 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Google Image Result for

Clearly not that much.
You can have a strong core without it being massive.
Old 07-16-14, 12:19 PM
ISPringle

Bikes: Trek MTB, Fit Bike Co. Mac 3, Shogun 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the comment that it may have something to do with image is close to the answer.

My friends on our D1 soccer team at school are pretty scrawny/lanky and a few of them also ride. Maybe the guys who get paid to play are more developed because a part of their money comes from sponsorships, which require that they look good so that women like your wife buy their products.
Old 07-16-14, 02:37 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
I'm not "accusing" you of going emotionally overboard. You are.
Take a deep breath, Frenchy. When your argument devolves to "You are", you aren't winning any points any more.

Every single time football is mentioned, every single time, no matter what the context, Americans line up to declare how much they don't like it. This thread was a question about the difference in body types between footballers and cyclists. And what is your response to the question?

"I don't like football. Stop trying to shove football down our throats."
Actually, the response was some mild humor at the expense of soccer, followed by absurd statements and worlds of drama from you.

Over and over again. Ad nauseum. You have a psychological problem about football. I have a suggestion: When someone talks about some aspect of football in a thread on a discussion forum on the internet? A game you hate?

Ignore it. This is obviously not a discussion forum dedicated to football, so the footie stuff will go away.
Point taken. Now here's a suggestion for you: Don't get bent out of shape over a joke. If you don't like the fact that Americans find grownups obsessed with soccer funny, then you might want to pass on soccer threads on English speaking forums dominated by Americans.

If that doesn't do the trick, watch some NASCAR with a Happy Meal and a bag of Doritos. If that still doesn't solve the problem, seek help.
Tsk, tsk, such condescension doesn't look good at all. Not at all.
Old 07-16-14, 02:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Take a deep breath, Frenchy. When your argument devolves to "You are", you aren't winning any points any more.
"Any more"? Pfft. Now he's going to think that he's actually won a point or two which, because he's a soccer fan, he'll interpret as a scoring extravaganza in a landslide victory. Ugh.
Old 07-16-14, 02:53 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every single time football is mentioned, every single time, no matter what the context, Americans line up to declare how much they don't like it. This thread was a question about the difference in body types between footballers and cyclists. And what is your response to the question?
Not sure why I keep reading this thread. Maybe the argument is entertaining. However, I'd like to point out that it seems the football (to use the preferred term) fans are the ones going ape s--t over any perceived criticism of their sport. Why do you even care what people think? It's just a sport. It's not like it's really all that important in the grand scheme of things. If I say I think knitting is boring I wonder if all the knitters will freak out and start talking about how knitting is some zen form of art and those who don't get it are just ignorant. To be honest, I kind of like football and will happily watch it, but in general I don't follow it nor really care.

Maybe it would be good to just log off for while and go start a riot - I think your team lost.
Old 07-16-14, 02:59 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by bikerjp
Not sure why I keep reading this thread. Maybe the argument is entertaining. However, I'd like to point out that it seems the football (to use the preferred term) fans are the ones going ape s--t over any perceived criticism of their sport. Why do you even care what people think? It's just a sport. It's not like it's really all that important in the grand scheme of things. If I say I think knitting is boring I wonder if all the knitters will freak out and start talking about how knitting is some zen form of art and those who don't get it are just ignorant. To be honest, I kind of like football and will happily watch it, but in general I don't follow it nor really care.

Maybe it would be good to just log off for while and go start a riot - I think your team lost.
Old 07-16-14, 03:38 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Google Image Result for

Clearly not that much.
Power to weight is key. They probably have more power relative to their weight vs any other dude in sports. Put them on a boxing match and pure power will most likely win though.
Old 07-16-14, 03:41 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get it.
Old 07-16-14, 03:45 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

I don't get it.
...angry knitting fan.
Old 07-16-14, 03:48 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...angry knitting fan.
Ah, I thought the dolls were supposed to be football fans or something ready to do battle over whose team is better.

Those rambunctious knitters. So I did anger one. Better don flame suit.
Old 07-16-14, 04:09 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah, I thought the dolls were supposed to be football fans or something ready to do battle over whose team is better.

Those rambunctious knitters. So I did anger one. Better don flame suit.
It's a bit strange. It doesn't take much of a search to find people "hating on" football, baseball, or other American ball sports in this forum and nobody gets bent out of shape. Make a joke about soccer and based on the response from soccer fans you'd think someone was cat juggling.
Old 07-16-14, 04:24 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
rousseau is infamous for America bashing, almost all of his posts that I can remember involve trolling in one way or another. Just let him be, we aren't going to change his mind regardless of well thought out responses or reciprocated mud slinging.
Old 07-16-14, 04:27 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Cyclists look like stick insects.
Old 07-16-14, 04:37 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Power to weight is key. They probably have more power relative to their weight vs any other dude in sports.
Who, cyclists? Please don't say cyclists.
Old 07-16-14, 04:46 PM
kini62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In the end you can't argue against personal preference. But if you had to use one metric to define the greatness of a sport, popularity would probably be the best one to use. And that obviously points to football.
More people in the world play table tennis than play soccer, so therefore table tennis is more "popular" than soccer. And much more exciting as well.
Old 07-16-14, 04:58 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Who, cyclists? Please don't say cyclists.
Curlers
Old 07-16-14, 05:06 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kini62
More people in the world play table tennis than play soccer, so therefore table tennis is more "popular" than soccer. And much more exciting as well.
What I'd really like to see on TV is Irish Hurling. THAT is an insane (and entertaining) sport.

Last edited by halfspeed; 07-16-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 05:22 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...angry knitting fan.
There's laughter behind that scowl.
Old 07-16-14, 05:40 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanterne Rogue
Cycling and soccer / football are two sports where little guys can do well. They also are two sports that require (relatively) little upper body strength. Watching the World Cup made me wonder: Why do the soccer guys have much bigger pecs / arms / upper bodies?

I am a straight man, but my wife always wanted to watch the end of World Cup matches just to see the jerseys come off. She has never been interested in seeing jerseys come off at the end of the TDF. Wouldn't the extra weight of a developed upper body hurt the explosive speed of a soccer player just as much as a cyclist? Is it just the culture of the sport, or is there a better reason why so many cyclists look like the guys who get sand kicked on them at the beach?
I played soccer in HS. I was generally rear guard, sometimes mid-field. Can't speak for world class soccer... but in the games I played in it was pretty full body contact. It wasn't unheard of to have been slammed into at a dead run two or three times per game. I'm short and stocky. I wasn't the one who fell.

And, those World Cup players pretty much are the spitting image of what most women find attractive, body-wise. Muscular, but not overly so, some body fat and can run for miles. My poor guy had to deal with all the pretty men of soccer on my FB feed (and most females he- and for that matter I- know) for weeks.

... I will miss them.

Cycalists are in Spandex (not flattering well cut uniforms) and are rather scrawny looking in comparison. And, I don't think they kiss each other after winning a race.
Old 07-16-14, 05:52 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You guys are crazy... cyclists look like concentration camp survivors with their shirts off. I wouldn't pick a cyclist in a boxing match unless the opponent was a 9 year old girl.

I wouldn't even wager on that unless it was an 8 year old girl.

Wait, climber or rouleur?
Old 07-16-14, 06:16 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aggst1
No, it is the greatest and most popular game in the world because of its simplicity. About 2/3 of the population on this planet follow it one way or another. Can't say the same about any other sport. Only Americans find it boring. If billions of people around the globe find it interesting and a couple hundred million people in the us find it boring (millions of folks in the us do like soccer especially foreign born citizens), what does that say about the latter? Simple, they don't like something they don't know. Humans always tend to dislike something unfamiliar. Instead they make fun of it because it elevates their ego, makes them feel better.... After all they are real 'mericans!
I'm not American. I even played soccer as a kid and I have to say.... bar test cricket its the most boring game ever to watch. I don't mind playing it but watching it? No thanks.
Old 07-16-14, 06:20 PM
patrickgm60

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ah, the angry knitting fan. Man, that's a group you do not want to pi** off. She looks like she could, uh, unravel, at any time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.