Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need opinion from you all. Somewhat of a vent.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need opinion from you all. Somewhat of a vent.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 10:04 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
He is quite obviously a troll and not even a clever one at that.
I'm not so sure about this last part. This thread is 8 pages with 200 posts and still going.
Old 07-08-15, 10:37 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by shopkins1995
Will they ever be accepted?
Accepted by whom? racers and sport riders, probably not. By commuters and transportation cyclists? Clearly

I actually had an opportunity to borrow and e-bike yesterday (in a velomobile no less). The difference in my ridding style was apparent to me almost immediately. What I notices was that I was coming to a full stop at all signs, yes, we all should do that, but we don't always do it. I was then using the assit to pull me back up to speed, then turing off the throttle and continuing to ride at 20+ without it. It was like I had never lost the energy by stopping. It was a very different ride, Yes I enjoyed it and yes, I was still pedaling hard.

Back to your point, don't try to impress the race and sport crowd (unless that is the crowd you want to fit into) just enjoy your own ride.
Old 07-08-15, 11:11 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
An electric assist bike is probably better than not doing anything but it is a poor replacement for actual cycling. Think of it this way: If you are lifting weights in a gym to gain strength would you use a fork lift to help you get the weight up? You could probably get up the hill even faster if you drove your car. You are not riding a bike to just get up the hill, you are riding it to do the work it takes to get there.
Old 07-08-15, 11:21 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm a huge fan of low gearing. My Kona Dew Drop has a 30/34 option, with this gearing, I was the only rider* to climb Oriole Rd Climb on the Almanzo 100. (*many riders climbed it on their bike, but nobody around me in the race could stay on their bike). This is mostly because I have a 'granny' gear on the Kona. Many 'serious' riders turn their nose up at granny gears; however, I doubt many of them can pedal up a gravel 20% grade.
Gravel...

I can get up pretty steep roads on pretty harsh gearing. But, have troubles breaking my rear wheel loose at 17% (or so) with wet pavement. Weight positioning (sitting) and stroke (as round as possible) can be key.

I'm still not convinced about the need for super low gearing on the road bike, but I have 30/30 gearing on my cargo bike, and have been thinking of putting 17/30 gearing on it.

There are E-Assist cargo bikes. I certainly have carried loads that a little extra power would be nice, at least for the hills. Or, perhaps a commercial delivery service where one is spending 8 hrs a day pedalling heavy cargo loads.

I was buzzed by an electric bike yesterday on a bike path running at about 20 MPH and no pedalling. It wasn't well posted for non-motorized vehicles, but I wonder if a gas moped would have gotten away with that.

However, as the OP has pointed out, electric assist requires at least some force to the pedals so the rider is at least cranking the pedals.

It still is odd to be pedalling hard (I was towing a moderately light trailer) and to get buzzed by an electric bike on a MUP.

Oh, as far as the Fargo video... like many things on the internet... someone else found it before me.
Old 07-08-15, 11:40 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
You are not riding a bike to just get up the hill, you are riding it to do the work it takes to get there.
Most of the time I am riding to get to work or the store.
Old 07-08-15, 11:58 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The guy should have kept his comment to himself. But since he indulged you, you should have stopped infront of him to make him lose his momentum. Then you should have gently accelerated away.
Old 07-08-15, 11:59 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
...Think of it this way: If you are lifting weights in a gym to gain strength would you use a fork lift to help you get the weight up?...
I've seen people in the gym set the treadmill on incline and then hang on to the display panel or the side rails. That's like being pulled up a hill.
Old 07-13-15, 10:22 PM
beetlejuice666

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey shopkins....im in so. cal., i have had a few umm, i dont really know what to call them. events i guess....here is how i see it. i ride my e bike cause its fast and fun...you are always gonna have hardcore dudes that worship the purity of the sport...( i can relate. i fly hanggliders, & when paragliders first hit the seen, the hang guys were pretty ****ty to them. ME INCLUDED.) remember ,your ride is unique to you...next time it happens, smile say high and keep crusin...IT DONT MATTER HOW YOU GET THE WIND IN YOUR FACE....IT JUST MATTERS THAT ITS THERE....peace..bj666
Old 07-13-15, 10:36 PM
beetlejuice666

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MY EBIKE DOES 20-22mph. but when i pedal, im over 30 mph...its all relative...ive been riding my whole life( never on anything good.)just for fun and to keep fit...im still keeping fit ,and this thing is way more fun....PEACE....BJ666
Old 07-14-15, 11:51 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
closing in on ten pages..........................
Old 07-14-15, 01:44 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I could see myself getting an ebike when the prices come down more...these hills here are killing me!
Old 07-14-15, 05:34 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Electric assist bikes are becoming more and more common around here now. I've been passed a few times by riders on them over the past week, something that I didn't see much of before. Not that I haven't been passed - that happens all the time

But when you are passed by an electric assist bike it's quite different than being overtaken by a fast rider under his or her own power: it's obvious that the rider on the e-assist bike isn't sweating the ride all that much but man, those things can go pretty fast!
Old 07-14-15, 05:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by shopkins1995

So what do you think about the use of electricity to reduce the effects of the weight of a bike? Will they ever be accepted?
IMO this is a non-event. Nobody needs acceptance by others, and likewise it's nobody's business what others ride. An electric bike isn't a cheater bike in any sense of the word, except if you were in some sort of competition, which I gather you're not. One might argue that if you told somebody you rode over a mtn pass, or bragged about how fast or how far you rode without saying you had a motor, that might be cheating, but that's between you and your friends anyway.

OTOH- you're making a big deal out of what was probably an off the cuff comment by someone as you rode by. I have a friend who rides a unicycle and pokes fun at bicyclists who still use "training wheels" (the front wheel). You need to get thicker skin and go with the flow. Next time someone calls your bike a cheater, tell them they're right, you have EPO or some other performance enhancing drug in your battery,.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-14-15, 05:58 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I won't ride one because I would feel sheepish about saying "70 year old passing on your left". Something that I am able to do once in a while that gives me pleasure when I can. Now, when I am 80 maybe motors and batteries will be small enough that it won't ruin the aesthetics of my mid 80's Medici if I equip it with a motor.
Old 07-14-15, 06:55 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
closing in on ten pages..........................
Yeah, but when the OP has to get a new username just to bump the thread, that doesn't count.

Now, we all know that the OP/BJ666 is a troll.

GH