Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shining up the 1972 Chrome Paramount

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shining up the 1972 Chrome Paramount

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 10:50 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairview
Oh no, I see that I violated Rule #49, flagrantly, and memorialized it with a photo . My only defense is I inverted my beloved bike with dignity, and lowered it to our living room floor as gently as the first downy snowflake of a Virginia winter.
For penance, 10 Prophet's Prayers, and you shall be resolved.
Old 12-05-16, 12:10 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
There are rules about this, you know.
There were some good ones there.

The only reason a bicycle should ever be in an upside down position is during mid-rotation while crashing.

But, there are also about a dozen reasons I'll never be a roadie:

All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden.

No full beards, no moustaches. Goatees are permitted only if your name starts with “Marco”

Mirrors are allowed on your (aptly named) Surly Big Dummy or your Surly Long Haul Trucker. Not on your road steed.

Rides are to be measured by the quality of their distance and never by distance alone.

Gee, when I did a triple century, measured in American, for me, it was all about the distance.

Also, I never thought I was a twatwaffle, but it's not about the bike.

It is, absolutely, without question, unequivocally, about the bike. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously a twatwaffle.
Old 12-05-16, 12:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
How did anyone ever ride those? In a sane world every one of those that Schwinn sold would be in a glass case on display in pristine condition. I know bikes are for riding, but you can always buy a second bike for that. I don't think I could risk scratching this one.
Old 12-06-16, 04:43 AM
Fairview

Bikes: 1971 and 1972 Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Made a decision

OK, I made the decision to let the Raleigh Professional go, and focus on the Paramount.

Here's proof:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post19234539

I guess we'll see what happens! Jeff
Old 12-06-16, 06:06 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Turns out that Jeff, aka @Fairview and I have common roots from our childhoods. Who would have known! Amazing stuff here on BF-C&V!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-08-16, 07:24 AM
Fairview

Does this seatpost binder bolt look original to you? Would the Paramount of this vintage (1972) use a Campagnolo binder bolt? Thanks, Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0423.jpg (94.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0425.jpg (93.5 KB, 139 views)
Old 12-08-16, 08:02 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Yes; that's the correct bolt.

Mine is a '72 P15-9 so it has a cable hanger for the rear center-pull brake, but you've got the right domed binder bolt.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-08-16, 09:25 AM
Fairview

Thank you, Scooper! That is good news.

I hope you don't mind if I lean on you for some more guidance.

The other thing on my mind right now is to get the tubular rims to match before I put on new tires. The rear rim decal says Schwinn Approved "260". The front is a Mavic Championatt du Monde. Both have the reinforced eyelets. Front spokes are butted, rear are straight. Front rim has those little serrations for braking purposes I assume. My guess is the rear is the original, front was replaced some time along the way.

Would a set of Schwinn Approved "330" tubular rims be a good choice to be something within the realm of possibility in 1972? I'm simply an originality neurotic....

Jeff
Old 12-08-16, 09:50 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Jeff, mine came from the factory with the Mavic tubular rims and butted spokes, so I believe your front wheel is original and the rear one is a replacement. I'd look for a used Mavic Championnat Du Monde rim for the rear.

I replaced mine with Open Pro clinchers several years ago.

my bikes

Old 12-08-16, 10:00 AM
Fairview

Originally Posted by Scooper
Jeff, mine came from the factory with the Mavic tubular rims and butted spokes, so I believe your front wheel is original and the rear one is a replacement. I'd look for a used Mavic Championnat Du Monde rim for the rear.

I replaced mine with Open Pro clinchers several years ago.

Scooper,

That is good news as the rear has a little twitch to it that might be hard to get out, the front (Mavic), is straight as an arrow. I'll shop for a Mavic Championnat to put on the rear. The labeling on my front wheel is identical to what you have posted above.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 12-08-16, 10:25 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andy_K
How did anyone ever ride those? In a sane world every one of those that Schwinn sold would be in a glass case on display in pristine condition. I know bikes are for riding, but you can always buy a second bike for that. I don't think I could risk scratching this one.
So, we'll never see you out and about on your chrome Pinarello?
Old 12-08-16, 10:39 AM
Andy_K 

So, we'll never see you out and about on your chrome Pinarello?
The saving grace with that is that the chrome is already chipped. The chip is covered by a decal, but I know it's there. It's also not as perfectly polished as this, having originally been painted.

I can promise that you'll never see my chrome Pinarello leave the garage on a day that isn't sunny.
Old 12-08-16, 10:47 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I can promise that you'll never see my chrome Pinarello leave the garage on a day that isn't sunny.
Good deal. Let's schedule that July 4th ride right now!

(PDX inside joke)
Old 12-08-16, 11:08 AM
Andy_K 

Good deal. Let's schedule that July 4th ride right now!

(PDX inside joke)
Not to worry. I'm prepared to take the Voyageur out in any weather.
Old 12-08-16, 06:55 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@Scooper, or anyone that knows, for that matter, weren't Paramounts offered with the option of either tubulars or clinchers? For some reason I remember the catalog having the wheel/tire set up and the brakes in either center pull or side pull (Nuovo Records) as customer options. This was in 1971-1975, I believe you thought that you dad called on them for his territory as a Schwinn Rep, Scooper.

I remember that most of our Schwinn shop's 'Mounts had clinchers, but a few were sew up equipped. For some reason Escambia Schwinn Cyclery didn't get in many of the P15 models, when one was on the rack for sale it was usually a P13, IIRC. I spent way too many hours drooling over the Paramounts that moved through their place, those never stayed on the rack long, the customer ordered bikes never made it out front, the mechanic always offered to assemble, and then fit the customer, with them present while he got things in order.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-08-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 08:30 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
@Scooper, or anyone that knows, for that matter, weren't Paramounts offered with the option of either tubulars or clinchers? For some reason I remember the catalog having the wheel/tire set up and the brakes in either center pull or side pull (Nuovo Records) as customer options. This was in 1971-1975, I believe you thought that you dad called on them for his territory as a Schwinn Rep, Scooper.

Looking at the 1972 model specs, P-13's came with 2 wheel and tire options. Weinmann rims with Clement tubular tires were standard. For extra you could order wood filled Weinmann rims (my '71 has these) with different Clement tubulars. The touring models, P-10 & P-15, came with 27" clinchers.

Campy side pull brakes were a $50 option (my '71 also came with these).
Old 12-08-16, 08:48 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh my. Nice bike.
Old 12-08-16, 08:50 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Thanks @Kactus, much appreciated, I didn't recall the cost added for the brakes. And I never knew about the wood filled Weinmann rims at all, those must be extremely rare now.

I can remember the ones on the rack having the Clement tubulars tires, no idea if they were the filled rims though. Seeing these bikes and their tubular wheelsets led me to seek out Clement tires for my 73 Raleigh International. I can recall the Paramount owners, as well as some high end Gitane and Bottecchia riders, always raving about the ride and performance their Clement "Sew ups" gave them.

I learned somethings this evening, so its all good.

Bill

Old 12-08-16, 09:01 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Thanks @Kactus, much appreciated, I didn't recall the cost added for the brakes. And I never knew about the wood filled Weinmann rims at all, those must be extremely rare now.

I can remember the ones on the rack having the Clement tubulars tires, no idea if they were the filled rims though. Seeing these bikes and their tubular wheelsets led me to seek out Clement tires for my 73 Raleigh International. I can recall the Paramount owners, as well as some high end Gitane and Bottecchia riders, always raving about the ride and performance their Clement "Sew ups" gave them.

I learned somethings this evening, so its all good.

Bill
In '72 the brakes were a $50 option and the wood filled rims were $12.95 extra. The standard P-13 cost $350.00 so the Campy brakes were pricy.
Old 12-09-16, 12:02 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Kactus has it right; the P13s only came with sew-ups according to the 1972 order form, while the P15 and P10 models came with 27" clinchers standard, but could be ordered with sew-ups as an option, and mine was ordered with sew-ups. The P15s and P10s had fender eyelets and the Campagnolo side-pull brakes wouldn't clear the fenders, so they came with Weinmann center-pulls.

Here's the 1972 order form with the commonly available options for each model spelled out.

Bill, you've got a good memory; Escambia Schwinn was one of the dealers Dad called on regularly.

my bikes

Old 12-09-16, 06:55 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Scooper,
Thanks for the customer order sheet posting, when seeing this attachment things came back fairly clear. I can recall seeing one of these, with Mr and Mrs Whelan(?sp, its been over 35 years since seeing them,) in their shop. I cannot fathom why I was shown the order form, other than their being truly nice people, they put up with the lot of us hanging around their place to talk bicycles and ogle the new things being offered there. I can imagine them inviting your dad to dinner with them at their place, I really wish I had met him when he was calling on their shop. They always treated me well, and buying a bike from them was a treat for a teenager that was nuts about everything cycling. I am trying to recall their long time mechanic's name, I learned a great deal from him by observing his work and listening to his pointers. Schwinn, Gitane, and Bottecchia, were always on their floor in the full line ups.

Andy K, sorry for the hijack of your thread.

Bill

Old 12-09-16, 07:05 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
There is nothing like a good vintage Paramount thread to warm the heart on a cold snowy morning in northern New England.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-09-16, 08:00 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Beautiful bike, Jeff.

FWIW, I have a set of new old stock A. Binda toe straps. I'll never use them. Thing is, if I'm not mistaken, the proper color for this fine bike would be red ones. Mine are the tan/mustard color. Which may not look all that great on this bike. Dunno. If interested, shoot me a PM.
RB
Old 12-09-16, 08:34 AM
Fairview

Originally Posted by rootboy
Beautiful bike, Jeff.

FWIW, I have a set of new old stock A. Binda toe straps. I'll never use them. Thing is, if I'm not mistaken, the proper color for this fine bike would be red ones. Mine are the tan/mustard color. Which may not look all that great on this bike. Dunno. If interested, shoot me a PM.
RB

Thanks RB,

I have just sent off the $ for a set of decent used ones from someone here on the forum that may clean up OK. I can't tell if the ones being shipped now were white and aged to a tan color, or were originally tan. However, there were Binda straps on my bike when it arrived. If I used my imagination, I could think they were white originally. They were a little too far gone to save, though I did save the buckles, and the straps for a pattern if necessary (I'm Scots Irish- we will "keep the Ten Commandments, and anything else we get our hands on")

Would you mind posting a photo or sending a pm with pictures of yours? They may work better than what I have on the way.

Jeff
Old 12-09-16, 08:54 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Jeff,

I'll try to take some pics and post em. If I remember correctly, the original Binda straps from the early 70's came in a cream-ish color. Among other colors of course. The light cream ones were always my favorites.
Did they have pure white ones back then? I can't remember. They do now, apparently.

Good save on the buckles. I've re-used them before. But it can be difficult to find the proper leather to use. Original Bindas were quite thick. About 9 or 10 ounce leather. And, it seemed, cut from the part of the hide with the least stretch, which is up near, and parallel to, the spine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.