Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc brakes 2019

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 07:49 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclintom
I have had both and I do not like disks.

1. Disk brake pads wear out rapidly. Unlike a car there is no fluid reservoir and no power assist so the entire brake operates with manual high ratio lever pull. This means that it doesn't require much wear before the lever bottoms out. The only way to "adjust" this is to replace the disk pad. Looking at the disk wear after just a single hard ride should tell you that these brakes because of their relatively small size and disk diameter have a lot of wear. People that are saying that "My brake pads don't wear out" do not ride their bikes much.

2. A rim brake is attached to the fork head or the intersection of the seat stays and since they rub against the furthest outer section of the wheel and the brakes are at a very strong section of the frame they are very safe. This is why we are seeing "skeleton" brakes by all manufacturers and even smaller companies such as Bontrager who while owned by Trek still have to show a profit. Light is what we're talking about and so lighter brakes because of less forces against them are the password.

3. Disk brakes are at the worst place possible on a fork. They are at the end of a long lever and have to transfer all of the majority of the braking force through the entire length of the fork and into the frame. They don't have 12 mm axles on these bikes because they don't need them. While MTB forks have to absorb horrendous forces and are strongly built because of this, a road bike fork does not and putting disk brakes on them makes heavier forks than would otherwise be necessary.

The disk brakes are here for one purpose and one purpose only - as nothing more than a sales gimmick - something new for you to need and something new to increase the profit margins on bicycles. Teams are sponsored by bicycle companies in order to advertise their products so they are not going to complain one way or the other.

Now all of you people who sprung for a disk brake may attempt to defend your purchase by telling us all how disks have a lower "wait" period for braking in the rain. After all, we all ride in the rain so that is handier than lightly touching a road brake for 2 seconds before applying it heavily.

Or that they brake more than rim brakes despite the fact that you can lock wheels with either and that the reason that they put smaller diameter disks on road bikes is because they were far too sensitive and were locking too easily. You can also tell us that you don't care that there is no disk/hydraulic system or wheel locking system or rear wheel width standard because you're happy with what you have. That's fine until it is discontinued. Like the Campy 10 speed levers you can't get spare parts for them after they made the 11 speed standard.

There are two reasons for changes in standards - improvements and sales gimmicks. While massive numbers of gears are useful for pro racers they are not for Joe Everyday Rider. Disk brakes can only be said to fall under the mantle of "sales gimmick" and my bet is that they will disappear rather quickly.
+1 and two counter points:
a). I have disks because I don't have to clean the rims every weekend; I can if I want to, but I don't have to [in order to keep effective *********** and rim wear].
b). I think disks are here to stay. Someone mentioned above that after some years, only cheaper bikes will have rim brakes and that we are in a transition period the same the MTB world was back when.

Another point: someone else mentioned further up that if the UCI removed weight limits, disk brakes would instantly become a thing of the past. Yes, agreed to this.
Old 09-17-18, 07:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Oh goody. This thread has turned into a "which is better" debate.
Old 09-17-18, 07:59 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Oh goody. This thread has turned into a "which is better" debate.
Hey now if you took all the strong opinions ever expressed on BF and converted them to pure energy you could power a nothing.
Old 09-17-18, 08:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Hey, I'm just hanging around to find out how the engineer thinks hydraulic brakes work.

Because all of the stuff he's posted in this thread up to now is just bonkers.
Old 09-17-18, 08:04 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'd love to see a source for that. I'm betting it's more like 50% are caused by drunks, and probably the next portion are kids showing off their wheelies.
Excuse me - I assumed that you would understand that I meant "single vehicle accidents" which that overwhelming majority of bicycle accidents are.
Old 09-17-18, 08:30 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Hey, I'm just hanging around to find out how the engineer thinks hydraulic brakes work.

Because all of the stuff he's posted in this thread up to now is just bonkers.
I'm too lazy to go back an read this entire thread to understand what you are talking about, so I will take you at your word.
Old 09-17-18, 08:36 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgscott
Twisty mountain roads -- yes. Rain -- no. Off-road a lot -- yes. Borderline clinical paranoia -- yes.

I have to replace my rotors at least once a season as well.

Organic J02A pads, fwiw.

Weight 195 lb.

I climb (and therefore descend) 40,000 to 50,000 ft/month.
I had a Gary Fisher HiFi 29er and it would need new pads every 1,000 miles or so as well. I'm 185 lbs when I'm riding the MTB which is normally in the spring when I'm getting in shape. On the MTB trails around here we have many places where there are drops over 20% so that you have to cram the brakes on after the drop to make the following turn. There are also long twisting 15%ers which require a constant braking. I also had a Gary Fisher Sugar and Gary decided that the best setup was V-brakes in the front and disks on the back. I'm sure that the geniuses here could easily criticize Gary. I think that the double hydraulics of the HiFi were better but I also ride enough that I can keep from locking the brakes up at speed.

I see that even though this entire conversation was about disks on road bikes that they cannot keep themselves from illustrating everything with MTB components. And even though I said that I believe that they are good on MTB's where the extra weight is offset by the extra power and the strength of the suspension forks and the added strengthening of the rear triangle. I wonder why they think that a road tire has the same traction as a 2" knobby in soft ground?

I also see that they do not understand the effects that a reservoir on disk brakes has in a non-powered set-up. I could explain it to them but I think I will leave them to not-ponder it since they have long ago made up what they try to pass off as minds. Can you imagine someone telling you that he has over 6,000 miles on a set of disk pads? Of course he must be leaving out that he doesn't live in hill country. In one year I had to change the disks twice on the HiFi. It had grooved so badly that it was eating pads.
Old 09-17-18, 08:57 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'm too lazy to go back an read this entire thread to understand what you are talking about, so I will take you at your word.
Oh, gems like "Disk brake pads wear out rapidly. Unlike a car there is no fluid reservoir and no power assist so the entire brake operates with manual high ratio lever pull. This means that it doesn't require much wear before the lever bottoms out. The only way to "adjust" this is to replace the disk pad." I mean, that's not even true of entry-level mechanical calipers. It's certainly not true of hydraulic.

I also see that they do not understand the effects that a reservoir on disk brakes has in a non-powered set-up. I could explain it to them but I think I will leave them to not-ponder it since they have long ago made up what they try to pass off as minds. Can you imagine someone telling you that he has over 6,000 miles on a set of disk pads? Of course he must be leaving out that he doesn't live in hill country. In one year I had to change the disks twice on the HiFi. It had grooved so badly that it was eating pads.
The reservoir does exactly what you think it doesn't do-- it holds the brake fluid needed to fill the calipers as the pistons extend to accommodate pad wear. Just like the fluid reservoir on every other vehicle with hydraulic brakes.

And let's see, I've got a bit more than 300,000ft of ascent this year, haven't had to change the brake pads on anything. Probably because I don't see the need to descend with my hands on the brakes all the time.

Last time I changed a rotor? The rear 160mm IceTech was swapped out with 17,209 miles on it in December of 2016. The current rear rotor has... 11,684 miles on it.
Old 09-17-18, 09:04 AM
indyfabz

Oh, gems like "Disk brake pads wear out rapidly. Unlike a car there is no fluid reservoir and no power assist so the entire brake operates with manual high ratio lever pull. This means that it doesn't require much wear before the lever bottoms out. The only way to "adjust" this is to replace the disk pad." I mean, that's not even true of entry-level mechanical calipers. It's certainly not true of hydraulic.
You know, when I realized who you were referring to a little bell went off in my head. Check out the threads he has started.
Old 09-17-18, 09:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I also see that they do not understand the effects that a reservoir on disk brakes has in a non-powered set-up. I could explain it to them but I think I will leave them to not-ponder it since they have long ago made up what they try to pass off as minds.
No, I really would like to see you explain how the reservoir on a bicycle hydraulic system works.... that is, if you now believe they even exist.

I also find it pretty face-palm funny that you did not realize you could adjust for pad wear on mechanicals. No wonder you go through so many pads.
Old 09-17-18, 09:39 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Excuse me - I assumed that you would understand that I meant "single vehicle accidents" which that overwhelming majority of bicycle accidents are.
I saw what you posted, and I call bogus. Not even close to reality
I think that the figures of bicycle injuries are that 90% of them are caused because the rider cannot remove his feet from the clip-ons fast enough.
Old 09-17-18, 09:50 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustang1
+1 and two counter points:
a). I have disks because I don't have to clean the rims every weekend; I can if I want to, but I don't have to [in order to keep effective *********** and rim wear].
b). I think disks are here to stay. Someone mentioned above that after some years, only cheaper bikes will have rim brakes and that we are in a transition period the same the MTB world was back when.

Another point: someone else mentioned further up that if the UCI removed weight limits, disk brakes would instantly become a thing of the past. Yes, agreed to this.
Well, you have personal reasons for using disk brakes on a road bike. That's fine but as a common over-the-counter installed component I find it almost impossible to believe that they would have heavier, more expensive, high aerodynamic drag components and try to sell this to any high performance rider. As someone pointed out - they will certainly install these things on low-end Walmart bicycles because they are supposed to look "high techy". But it won't last too long when the pros aren't using these things. I do some very fast descents and unlike the people here claiming they need more power, I hardly touch the brakes except to slow slightly for a turn. Yesterday I went around a "Slow to 20" at 42 mph. That was as fast as I could do on that descent. Another said that he needed them at 15 mph! Even in pouring rain if you cannot see that far ahead and plan for it you don't have any business on a bike.

Yesterday as I was riding my Colnago along a bike lane some SOB in an SUV decided that he could get to the corner faster in the bike/parking lane rather than waiting the 5 seconds for the light to change. I still can't understand how he missed me but it couldn't have been by more than an inch. The odd thing is that this is another town 10 miles from me and this same SOB did exactly the same thing only not as close a couple of years ago. Apparently he will never learn. So I will remain on the lookout for large gold SUV;s for the remainder of my life, Certainly a more powerful brake would have had absolutely no effect save stopping me directly in his path. Swerving and possibly accelerating were the answers. THEN stopping and cussing that guy out. I immediately recognized him by the "oops" hand sign that he made on both occasions.
Old 09-17-18, 09:54 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta

This is almost getting uncomfortable to watch. But it is a train wreck I can’t look away from.

Of course you can't. Like most jr G-men you have the idea that the more that agree with you the more proof you have of being correct. Well, sorry, you're wrong. Especially some guy saying that he is getting 6,000 miles on brake pads.
Old 09-17-18, 10:03 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The reservoir does exactly what you think it doesn't do-- it holds the brake fluid needed to fill the calipers as the pistons extend to accommodate pad wear. Just like the fluid reservoir on every other vehicle with hydraulic brakes.

And let's see, I've got a bit more than 300,000ft of ascent this year, haven't had to change the brake pads on anything. Probably because I don't see the need to descend with my hands on the brakes all the time.

Last time I changed a rotor? The rear 160mm IceTech was swapped out with 17,209 miles on it in December of 2016. The current rear rotor has... 11,684 miles on it.
30,000 ft of climbing isn't a lot of climbing but never-the-less if you say you don't use your brakes of what use are disks even if they work slightly better in the rain? If your descents allow you not to brake then I wouldn't be surprised that you have long life but the miles you are quoting give me the idea that the vast majority of your riding is as a commuter. So what do you care what sort of brake you have one your bike?

Not that your choice of brake in those conditions is any of my business but then it shouldn't be your business to be pushing disk brakes in a string where the originator was wondering why most pro racers aren't using disks.
Old 09-17-18, 10:06 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Apparently 1. You are not a bike mechanic if you have the idea that there is a hydraulic fluid reservoir on bicycle disk brakes. 2. The SELLING point of hydraulic over manual is smoother application and less mechanical losses. Can you please stop with your dumb postings that because they are worthwhile on an MTB that they MUST be worthwhile on a road bike? Aside from MTB's being much heavier than road bikes, the suspension forks are designed to withstand immense bending forces. This is not something that is necessary on a road bike. As someone else stated, if the UCI dropped their weight limit you would never see another disk brake on a racing bike.
A real bike mechanic would know there are both kinds.

There are reservoirs on Open System disc brake systems.
Closed systems do not have a reservoir.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f..._brake_v06.pdf

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...and-adjustment
Old 09-17-18, 10:08 AM
rgconner

No, I really would like to see you explain how the reservoir on a bicycle hydraulic system works.... that is, if you now believe they even exist.

I also find it pretty face-palm funny that you did not realize you could adjust for pad wear on mechanicals. No wonder you go through so many pads.
Here, with drawings for the unbelievers:

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f..._brake_v06.pdf

What amazes me is people still making broad statements without even checking Google for 10 seconds to see if they are right.
Old 09-17-18, 10:16 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I blow mine out in significantly less than 1000. (I am also very pro-disc brake.)
I'll one up you here. Shimano resin pads on 203mm front and 180mm rear, 52 lb MTB with my 14 stone on it. Ground down to the pad springs in 400 miles, especially the rear... front not much better.
A couple of 4000 ft drops from Mt Wilson, some of it 20%. Also 15-20% grades on the road. If the rear rotor needs replacing I'm going with 203 in the rear.
Possibly semi-metallic pads, but they are 3 times the price. Brakes stop good no problem, good modulation, I can lock them any time... I like them, but...?
Old 09-17-18, 10:20 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Of course you can't. Like most jr G-men you have the idea that the more that agree with you the more proof you have of being correct.Well, sorry, you're wrong.
Are you seriously still contending that there is no fluid reservoir for hydro brakes on bikes? Does the fact that this majority opinion that these reservoirs exist is shared by the companies who make the disc brakes, and all of us who have actually bled brakes and seen the reservoirs for ourselves?

Just curious....

Especially some guy saying that he is getting 6,000 miles on brake pads
Actually, on a road bike that IS quite possible, depending on the terrain.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-17-18 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 10:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

30,000 ft of climbing isn't a lot of climbing but never-the-less if you say you don't use your brakes of what use are disks even if they work slightly better in the rain? If your descents allow you not to brake then I wouldn't be surprised that you have long life but the miles you are quoting give me the idea that the vast majority of your riding is as a commuter. So what do you care what sort of brake you have one your bike?
You missed a zero there, chief. So you’re off by an entire order of magnitude. I get long life out of brakes I guess because I umm... brake late?

Still waiting for an engineer’s explanation as to how my brakes are staying adjusted as according to you they don’t do that.

I have a light, rim-brake bike, and a heavy disc brake bike. The heavy one brakes better. But the rim brakes work just fine. I only showed up in this thread because there’s nonsense swirling around. I’m drawn to it.
Old 09-17-18, 10:36 AM
rgconner

Are you seriously still contending that there is no fluid reservoir for hydro brakes on bikes? Does the fact that this majority opinion that they exist is shared by the companies who make the disc brakes, and all of us who have actually bled brakes and seen the reservoirs for ourselves?

Just curious....
Engineers don't have a reverse gear.
Old 09-17-18, 10:38 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
So ... he had hydraulic disc brakes and never knew there was a fluid reservoir.

No wonder he doesn't like discs.
Old 09-17-18, 11:24 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I get long life out of brakes I guess because I umm... brake late?
Probably.

I've definitely increased the lifespan of mine as I increased confidence and recovered from an injury (which my ankle surgeon cheerfully suggested created a lot of scar tissue between my ears).
Old 09-17-18, 12:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
In any case .... pad wear is not endemic to disc breaks, but to bicycle brakes. Some riders in the Pacific Northwest regularly go through Rims in a couple seasons, and brake pads .... don't ask. In Flatahoma, i can ride the same brake pads (on a road bike) for nearly forever. The MTB gets ridden less since my last injury, but its brakes get used a Lot more per mile. even so ... it is not because the product sucks, but because the product works. if the brakes didn't stop the bike I would be in a wheelchair and talking about wheelchair brakes. Brakes, like tires, get used up more quickly when they are used harder.

Or at least, that is how it seems to me ... but what do I know? i am not an engineer.

@cyclingtom ... you did mean the guy who drives the train, right?
Old 09-17-18, 12:11 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts

-Matt
Old 09-17-18, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Brakes, like tires, get used up more quickly when they are used harder.
Yep. Here is another variable: Being a big city dweller. When I commute on my LHT, I am usually hitting my brakes every 500', if not less, thanks to lights and stop signs. Between that and three or four loaded tours, I am lucky to get much more than a year out of my brake pads. All the starting and stopping also wears the chain faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.