Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any difference in the different brands of mineral oil brake fluid?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 05:18 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

Hello everyone,
is their any difference in the different brands of bike brake fluids ie if I have Tektro brakes and assuming they have Tektro brake fluid, can I use Shimano mineral oil?
I am new to bikes, but I work on cars a lot, DOT 4 brake fluid is all the same whether it be Prestone, Autozone, etc.
I have Tektro HDC 300 brakes.
Thank you in advance
Old 07-26-20, 07:30 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I play it safe with brakes and don't mix fluids, it could have unpredictable effects. The possible cost savings is not worth the risk, for me and I would absolutely not do it on a client's bike. DOT4 fluids are intended to be compatible, there is no guarantee this is the case with different mineral oils.
Old 07-26-20, 08:10 PM
5 mph

Thanks for your advice . You cannot mix Prestone Antifreeze (green) with red toyota antifreeze or blue Honda coolant or you get sludge.
Old 07-27-20, 12:42 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I've been using Finish Line mineral brake fluid for 7 or 8 years. I have bled all my mineral oil brakes with it, including Shimano and Magura, and it was surely mixed with original fluids as I didn't bother to empty them before bleeding with the new fluid.

I've had zero problems so far. Can't talk about other brands though.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 07-27-20, 05:32 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Amt0571
I've been using Finish Line mineral brake fluid for 7 or 8 years. I have bled all my mineral oil brakes with it, including Shimano and Magura, and it was surely mixed with original fluids as I didn't bother to empty them before bleeding with the new fluid.

I've had zero problems so far. Can't talk about other brands though.
Thanks
Old 07-27-20, 09:06 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Thanks for your advice . You cannot mix Prestone Antifreeze (green) with red toyota antifreeze or blue Honda coolant or you get sludge.
I made that mistake once with my Tacoma by topping off the the radiator with Prestone AF without checking the manual. It was an expensive assumption. Shortly after while returning from lunch, the top of the radiator blew off. As it happened, it looked like a F18 Hornet vapor cone. All traffic around me locked it up to a stop. Luckily I was less than 1/4 mile from home base.
Old 07-27-20, 09:32 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Hello everyone,
is their any difference in the different brands of bike brake fluids ie if I have Tektro brakes and assuming they have Tektro brake fluid, can I use Shimano mineral oil?
I am new to bikes, but I work on cars a lot, DOT 4 brake fluid is all the same whether it be Prestone, Autozone, etc.
I have Tektro HDC 300 brakes.
Thank you in advance
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I play it safe with brakes and don't mix fluids, it could have unpredictable effects. The possible cost savings is not worth the risk, for me and I would absolutely not do it on a client's bike. DOT4 fluids are intended to be compatible, there is no guarantee this is the case with different mineral oils.
I know you are asking about mineral oils, but this is a big misconception about DOT brake fluids. dsbrantjr is absolutely right, the ONLY things a DOT rating shows is that the fluids are compatible AND they meet the minimum dry and wet boiling ratings (230 °C (446 °F) & 155 °C (311 °F) resp for DOT 4.) And they meet FMVSS 116.

There is a HUGH difference between brands of DOT 4 brake fluids. Castrol SRF DOT 4 fluid will meet DOT4 requirements wet while Autozone DOT4 barely meets them when dry. ATE Type 200 DOT4 fluid will cause squeaking in vehicles with DOT4 based hydraulic clutches. Motul RBF 600 DOT4 fluid actually meets DOT 5.1 boiling points dry or wet, but is more toxic than most other brake fluids. Sorry, I spent too many years working on race cars. In variably when other crews asked my why our brake ALWAYS worked and theirs failed even thought we ran the exact same hardware they'd never believe me when I told them we only used Motul RBF or Castrol SRF brake fluids.
Old 07-27-20, 11:38 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by RGMN
I know you are asking about mineral oils, but this is a big misconception about DOT brake fluids. dsbrantjr is absolutely right, the ONLY things a DOT rating shows is that the fluids are compatible AND they meet the minimum dry and wet boiling ratings (230 °C (446 °F) & 155 °C (311 °F) resp for DOT 4.) And they meet FMVSS 116.

There is a HUGH difference between brands of DOT 4 brake fluids. Castrol SRF DOT 4 fluid will meet DOT4 requirements wet while Autozone DOT4 barely meets them when dry. ATE Type 200 DOT4 fluid will cause squeaking in vehicles with DOT4 based hydraulic clutches. Motul RBF 600 DOT4 fluid actually meets DOT 5.1 boiling points dry or wet, but is more toxic than most other brake fluids. Sorry, I spent too many years working on race cars. In variably when other crews asked my why our brake ALWAYS worked and theirs failed even thought we ran the exact same hardware they'd never believe me when I told them we only used Motul RBF or Castrol SRF brake fluids.
One.thing I learned now that I am in my 50's...there will always be someone who knows more than you... LOL
Old 07-27-20, 11:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
While all mineral oils aren't the same--Shimano oil works fine in Tektro brakes.