Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Would you ride your bike over the 7 Mile Bridge?
Yeah, sure.
70.21%
Maybe early morning with minimal traffic
8.51%
No
12.77%
Not just no, but hell no!
8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Would you dare...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-20, 10:25 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Would you dare...

...to ride your bike over the 7 Mile Bridge?

https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/c...le-bridge.html
Old 12-27-20, 10:29 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
probably (if it's legal). i'd drive it first, tho, to look for spots of bother. sounds like it's wide enuff but does it stay like that the entire length on both to/from sides?
Old 12-27-20, 11:16 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Would You Ride This?

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-27-20, 11:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Would You Ride This

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-27-20, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Not being familiar, what would be the challenge? I've ridden on bridges before and once riding, I don't even realize that I'm on a bridge. I pay more attention to the road. Been on a road 4,000 ft high on the edge of a mountain road and didn't affect my judgement.

Is there something about this bridge that would frighten somebody? I don't get it.
Yes, traffic, traffic and more traffic. There is a supposed bike lane but it is covered in debris, tires, etc. I have never done it, but have watched a few videos.
I did a long bridge with a nice bike lane, but after a few kms it became so boring, I almost wanted to turn back. So, with boredom of a bridge then the traffic perils; no, I would not do it
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-28-20, 12:25 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Kind of cheated in answering yes, since I've already done it. Southbound was glorious, with a massive tailwind from Florida City to Key West. The return trip was the opposite experience. There was traffic, at times it sucked, but I don't recall it being a particularly death-defying experience.
Old 12-28-20, 12:36 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Would You Ride This
I had mixed feelings riding roads like this in Texas. On the one hand, 80+ is darned fast. On the other hand, at least where I was the vehicles were so infrequent I could hear them a half-mile away. At night, make that a mile or more.

Where I lived west of Ft. Worth, all the fresh overlays had super course aggregate on the shoulders, making them unpleasant on road tires. That really sucked.
Old 12-28-20, 02:43 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
There is too much traffic for me to want to ride the New Seven Mile Bridge during normal conditions. There is a SEVEN MILE RUN every Spring since the New Seven Mile Bridge opened in 1982. For about two hours, they close the bridge so the 1500 entrants can run the seven mile bridge. They limit the number of entrants to a maximum of 1500 runners. My wife has run it four times. You cannot be slow as they pick up all the runners still out there, so they can open it back within the two hours........bridge only gets closed for 2 hours...
It would be cool if Florida would also consider having a Seven Mile Bicycle Parade where entrants over 12 years of age can leisurely ride the entire seven mile span on ANY non-motorized, human pedal powered TWO WHEELER or THREE WHEELER..............to satisfy those with a need for speed and a desire to compete, perhaps set-up a Time Trials group competition with individual classes based on the type of bicycle and age/gender of rider...................e.g. all CARBON-High Tech and any bicycle weighing below 18.5 pounds not including water -------------------then have another class that would be limited to any bicycle weighing between 18.5 pounds and under 25 pounds not including water------------------------have another class that includes all bicycles weighing between 25 pounds and below 29.5 pounds not including water----------then have a class for all bicycles weighing between 29.5 pounds and below 34.5 pounds not including water--------------------then have a class for all bicycles weighing between 34.5 pounds and below 48 pounds not including water-----------------------------finally have a class for all bicycles weighing 48 pounds or more not including water.
Start the Time Trials portion first with all the A group or whatever you'd want to call it, the lightest bikes.....................you do it where you start them off in rows of participants....however many make sense given the width of the road...........because you've got a Computer Chip....you're racing the clock..........So you start the rows of participants in the A group out about 12 to 15 seconds apart.....whatever is practical (obviously you cannot do it in one log jam free for all because you'd have absolute mayhem given the number of expected participants. Repeat this process with the B group (next classification of lightest bikes) and so on until you get through the heavy bikes in F group.
Then after that, the paraders that have no computer chip and are prohibited from exceeding 17mph at any time to maintain the safety of the other paraders. The paraders will be expected to ride Slowly and Safely but would also be prohibited from stopping, unless for an Emergency situation. No stopping to take pictures/sightsee or stopping for any reason other than an Emergency situation.
Have a local South Florida television station broadcast the event on one of its secondary channels.
Make the whole thing a major fundraising event for something there in Florida that like The St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis TN that Danny Thomas founded, is something that everyone worldwide would agree is a great worthwhile organization to support.
Make it also a super fun and festive party for all participants at the other end of the Seven Mile.
Hey, someday the pandemic situation will be conquered and the world will want to party.
Invite Tony Fauci to be the grand marshall...................Get off the couch--eee and ride Seven Mile with Fauci and thousands of others to benefit ............
You started riding bikes to get outside and kick the Covid blues, and now in 2023 etc........six foot distance is recommended between moving bicycles only for minimizing collisions....
It would be a major organizational night-mare to carry-off such an event successfully. It would require closure of the Seven Mile Bridge for probably about five hours, perhaps more depending on how many participants, even though the slowest rider would likely complete the leisure parade ride in one hour and forty-five minutes.
You'd need a huge police presence as well as Air (helicopter) Ambulance crews as well as maybe a vehicle Ambulance crew parked at every half-mile point of the entire length of the Seven Mile Bridge and you'd need a police vehicle...Chrysler..or ancient Ford Crown Vic stationed at least at every half-mile point with officers monitoring progress..............You'd also need in addition to security and first aid, you would need a volunteer stationed at each quarter-mile point to assist with potential mechanical problems and to assist in contacting nearby security(police) and/or medical personel should they see a need arise.
You'd then have major issues with CLEAN-UP as no matter how well intentioned the riding participants will be, stuff will be discarded intentionally or unintentionally(falling off, etc). You might not think that would be much, but imagine having say 3000 participants or whatever the number and yeah it could be significant.

Hey, this is all just the spontaneous off-the-top-of-my-head rambling. (notice I did not write THINKING but Rambling...)
So yes it is what just popped into this idiot's head.
Old 12-28-20, 07:28 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
probably (if it's legal). i'd drive it first, tho, to look for spots of bother. sounds like it's wide enuff but does it stay like that the entire length on both to/from sides?
Those that's done it (that I've talked to), say they would never do it again. From what I understand, its a very narrow lane to ride. There's only about 3 feet from the traffic to the side of the structure, which isn't very high. Obviously, ocean water below. Also, motorists tend to take advantage of the lack of speed enforcement on the bridge and haul ass. Plus, with the awe inspiring scenery you have tourists not paying attention to things on the road, namely cyclists.

It's not as easy as it sounds...
Old 12-28-20, 08:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
There is too much traffic for me to want to ride the New Seven Mile Bridge during normal conditions. There is a SEVEN MILE RUN every Spring since the New Seven Mile Bridge opened in 1982. For about two hours, they close the bridge so the 1500 entrants can run the seven mile bridge. They limit the number of entrants to a maximum of 1500 runners. My wife has run it four times. You cannot be slow as they pick up all the runners still out there, so they can open it back within the two hours........bridge only gets closed for 2 hours...
It would be cool if Florida would also consider having a Seven Mile Bicycle Parade where entrants over 12 years of age can leisurely ride the entire seven mile span on ANY non-motorized, human pedal powered TWO WHEELER or THREE WHEELER......
I think that's a great idea. If they can close the bridge for two hours to let people run across it, they could also close it for an hour to let people cycle across it. Even the most leisurely rider should be done in an hour.
Old 12-28-20, 02:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by downtube42
I had mixed feelings riding roads like this in Texas. On the one hand, 80+ is darned fast. On the other hand, at least where I was the vehicles were so infrequent I could hear them a half-mile away. At night, make that a mile or more.

Where I lived west of Ft. Worth, all the fresh overlays had super course aggregate on the shoulders, making them unpleasant on road tires. That really sucked.
The Shoulder was Smooth.
The 18 Wheelers changed Lanes way back. There Draft was Amazing.

Old 12-28-20, 03:45 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I would do it
Old 12-28-20, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Would I go to Florida...nah (except maybe to visit a certain Mouse because let's face it, as much as I hate the crowds, most people and the Disney corporation, it is still a ton of fun and I refuse to wholly grow up) Would I ride across a long bridge maybe if I had to but probably not. I don't tend to need to do that any most of my rides. I also don't care for massive traffic but if I have to I will ride in it. Plus sometimes it can beat a crowded MUP.
Old 12-28-20, 07:54 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Those that's done it (that I've talked to), say they would never do it again. From what I understand, its a very narrow lane to ride. There's only about 3 feet from the traffic to the side of the structure, which isn't very high. Obviously, ocean water below. Also, motorists tend to take advantage of the lack of speed enforcement on the bridge and haul ass. Plus, with the awe inspiring scenery you have tourists not paying attention to things on the road, namely cyclists.

It's not as easy as it sounds...
if this is accurate, then hell no.
Old 12-28-20, 08:59 PM
downtube42

​​A friend of mine does this every January. I was able to join him in 2016. I'll do it again if I get a chance.

​​​​

Last edited by downtube42; 12-28-20 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-29-20, 12:21 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Well if you get hit by an inattentive driver, you’ll never know what hit you.

Old 12-29-20, 01:22 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
UCan'tTouchThis has the helicopter & Jaimie Lee on the OLD SEVEN MILE...........didn't they blow up a scaled model of OLD SEVEN MILE in that movie.

Old Seven Mile is the one that is really narrow. It was used for automobile traffic from the thirties until about forty years ago when New Seven Mile opened in early 1982.
It (Old Seven Mile) was the former railroad that was built around the turn of the century and heavily damaged during that super powerful hurricane in 1935, causing the railroad to go out of business but not before selling the seven mile railway bridge to the goverment..........after 1935 it was made into an automobile bridge with the recycled railroad tracks being re-purposed/recycled as the guardrails to keep cars from going in the water after a tire blow-out, someone falling asleep, or wreck, or whatever.

I'm not sure about this but what friends that live in FLA told me is that they closed all of Old Seven Mile some years back and they had planned to do certain repairs and then had planned to re-open about a 2.5 mile portion sometime in 2021 (but that was the goal about five years back, but I have no clue if they are still on schedule or if it was abandoned or postponed) What I seem to recall that my friends told me was that the approx 2.5 mile portion was all they could do, since years ago they removed portions of the bridge (purposely making huge gaps) , to keep folks from accessing and continuing along its entire length. The re-opening of the 2.5 mile portion is gonna be as a pedestrian bridge, as it was since the eighties until closed for further repair during the teens. You can see OLD SEVEN MILE in the foreground of the photograph above.....................NEW SEVEN MILE is in the background and has a prominent hump at one point in the bridge for boat clearance. You can clearly see one of the missing Removed sections in Old Seven Mile that was done to keep folks from getting any farther on it. It is my understanding that they have no intention of ever re-connecting the cut-out sections or attempting to re-hab or re-use or attempt any repair to the rest of the decaying Old Seven Mile. Someone that is a current resident of South Florida would probably know. My info is outdated, unsubstantiated heresay, so it is likely worthless.
I do know that driving US 1 to the Florida Keys in the early 1970's was an experience while crossing OLD SEVEN MILE. Full size cars and mid-size cars in 1972 were significantly larger than today's largest SUV and DUI Laws at that time were very lax and had very minimal fines and no punishment............you had to have been around then to know what I'm talking about. You also had no real standards in enforcement of trailer hitch engineering as there were too many homemade ones then and then folks towing crap built things with only steel chains affixed to the car's bumper........many things looked like Jethro Bodine had made them when he was drunk.
Old 12-29-20, 04:52 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I'd do the 127 mile ride.
Old 12-29-20, 06:44 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
No problem. My main concern is availability of quarters at a reasonable cost. Zero stealth camping, most probably.
Old 12-29-20, 08:02 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Google maps shows a bike path on parts of the old bridge. That looks interesting. I don't see how you get on the section between Money Key and Moser Channel. But the ride to Pigeon Key looks cool.

Street view shows the new bridge as a possibility.
Old 12-29-20, 08:10 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
There used to be a CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) ride annually when they'd close the southbound lanes as far as the first island where the first tunnel starts. Nice enough ride for the novelty but the wind could be killer.
Old 12-29-20, 08:11 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,041 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
No problem. My main concern is availability of quarters at a reasonable cost. Zero stealth camping, most probably.
Quarters are four for a dollar, even in Florida.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 12-29-20, 11:12 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
The bridge to Sanibel Island is probably the same height, to accommodate ocean traffic, but the flat part is much shorter, so only 2 miles? I also felt like it would be easy to flip over the rail on a windy day, Not my picture,

We started riding and because it's one-way, no turning back of you're a wimp, It was OK. Cars are 45 mph, I believe, Only one biker has ever been knocked off the causeway, as far as anyone knows, Was not looking forward to crossing it back, but it was uneventful.
Old 12-29-20, 11:24 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I don't see why not as long as it's legal for bicycles to be on that bridge. The only other issue would be is there a wide enough berm you can ride on so cars can pass you, if not that could be a consideration if it's a heavily traveled bridge, only because some dope doing 14 mph on a 55 mph bridge holding up traffic for 7 miles is a bit frustrating to motorists, and they could get quite angry, and road rage with a car vs a bicycle...well, I don't think I have to explain how that would turn out.
Old 12-29-20, 01:10 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
What would be nice is if they opened the OLD 7-mile bridge to only pedal powered (e-bikes are ok) vehicles. It would require much less maintenance than the one for the cars/trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.