Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Selling a bike that's too good for me

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Selling a bike that's too good for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 03:41 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I knew I'd get busted for that seatpost! Hey, it was the first months of the pandemic, I didn't have a silver post the right size, and couldn't find one anywhere. And I had a roll of black tape, but no red. Also, I never managed to learn much about LeJeunes, or what the original specs of this model might have been, or what model it is, or the year of manufacture. Around 1973-4? In building it up, I relied on semi-educated guesswork, and what I had in my parts bin at the time.

I suppose I could have been clearer in my original post. It's not that the bike is too good for me, really--I consider myself to be a good person with a certain amount of patina--but that I have also been working on downsizing for several years. I've owned as many as eight or nine bikes at one time (which is nothing around here, I realize), but I set myself the goal of whipping the total down to three. I now have a modern touring bike (a ten-year-old Long Haul Trucker 26); a Univega Viva Sport with studded tires for winter use, and a paint-challenged Gitane TDF for the fun of it.

So the LeJeune spot is already filled by the Gitane, and I am happy with that because the Gitane and I have a history, and the LeJeune and I don't. Here's hoping it goes to someone who specifically wants it.
Haven't seen too many Gitane TdFs that I'd call pristine and too nice to ride. Those things tend to be more on the scruffy and loveable side. Yours probably has plenty of scratches already and you don't have to worry about it. They ride great too.

Did Big Chainring share with you all the info he had about the LeJeune? Would be good to know more about it.
Old 08-15-23, 04:14 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Haven't seen too many Gitane TdFs that I'd call pristine and too nice to ride. Those things tend to be more on the scruffy and loveable side. Yours probably has plenty of scratches already and you don't have to worry about it. They ride great too.

Did Big Chainring share with you all the info he had about the LeJeune? Would be good to know more about it.
"Scruffy" and "loveable" pretty much describes my TDF.

If memory serves, the bike came to big chainring via a swap meet, somewhere. I think it was picked up for him by a family member, and that he passed it on to me because it was a little too big. Maybe he'll chime in with more info, if he has any.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 08-15-23, 04:58 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
Just my two cents...Ride the Lejeune. That’s what it wants. To be used. That is it’s purpose de vida.

Ask it if it cares if it gets a few chips and scratches. It will say no.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 08-15-23, 08:06 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I knew I'd get busted for that seatpost! Hey, it was the first months of the pandemic, I didn't have a silver post the right size, and couldn't find one anywhere. And I had a roll of black tape, but no red. Also, I never managed to learn much about LeJeunes, or what the original specs of this model might have been, or what model it is, or the year of manufacture. Around 1973-4? In building it up, I relied on semi-educated guesswork, and what I had in my parts bin at the time.

I suppose I could have been clearer in my original post. It's not that the bike is too good for me, really--I consider myself to be a good person with a certain amount of patina--but that I have also been working on downsizing for several years. I've owned as many as eight or nine bikes at one time (which is nothing around here, I realize), but I set myself the goal of whipping the total down to three. I now have a modern touring bike (a ten-year-old Long Haul Trucker 26); a Univega Viva Sport with studded tires for winter use, and a paint-challenged Gitane TDF for the fun of it.

So the LeJeune spot is already filled by the Gitane, and I am happy with that because the Gitane and I have a history, and the LeJeune and I don't. Here's hoping it goes to someone who specifically wants it.
placing a date to these can be treacherous. my first Lejeune was paint and chrome similar to yours, same nearly except Campagnolo ends. It was my second race bike, won many a race astride it. I added a Masi GC when the Carlsbad plant began, then bought a Harry Quinn criterium bike. Sold off the Lejeune in late 1975. The Masi was stolen in 1976. I bought a replacement just before Carlsbad closed up production. Sold off the Quinn as was no longer racing, Sold the second Masi to fund college. By luck, the fellow I sold the Lejeune to was not using it, so I repurchased it as a frame set and some parts, Got it back together and realized it was probably the best all around bike I had used. The Masi descended better, the Quinn allowed pedaling around criterium corners where others could not.
the Lejeune second owner did not baby the chrome, I ditched that at a respray. I have an earlier and a later bike plus one I bought just for color and color break matching.

an example with good chrome is rare.
Old 08-16-23, 07:54 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I completely restored an 80's Sannino. Pro paint, the works. Rode it twice and was terrified that I'd scratch it. Sold it.
Old 08-16-23, 08:36 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 666 Posts
it's actually too bad that we get trapped like this. I can understand if the bike (car, airplane, whatever) was truly a museum piece, like @Portlandjim's unridden black Singer, or a Confente built for Jonathan Boyer to ride the tour, then maybe just display it or sell it on. But things like that are more in the class of museum pieces than they are bikes.

@northbend very generously let me ride that Hobbs around the block and what a hoot that was ! Thank you Matt !

I guess the point is that they are "just bikes".

I was talking to a guy at Pebble Beach some years ago who had a Porsche 917 restored by Canepa, hard to say what a car like that is worth but $15-20 million is not out of the question. Anyway, after he got a few laps on it, fresh out of paint, he got the nose right up behind another car on the track, a foot or two away. "Why" I asked. To get some stone chips and rubber streaks on the nose, because that is the way the car was when it was raced for real back in the day.

I liked that.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-16-23, 08:47 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
it's actually too bad that we get trapped like this. I can understand if the bike (car, airplane, whatever) was truly a museum piece, like @Portlandjim's unridden black Singer, or a Confente built for Jonathan Boyer to ride the tour, then maybe just display it or sell it on. But things like that are more in the class of museum pieces than they are bikes.

@northbend very generously let me ride that Hobbs around the block and what a hoot that was ! Thank you Matt !

I was talking to a guy at Pebble Beach some years ago who had a Porsche 917 restored by Canepa, hard to say what a car like that is worth but $15-20 million is not out of the question. Anyway, after he got a few laps on it, fresh out of paint, he got the nose right up behind another car on the track, a foot or two away. "Why" I asked. To get some stone chips and rubber streaks on the nose, because that is the way the car was when it was raced for real back in the day.

I liked that.

/markp
Careful there, you're dangerously close to telling us our Campagnolo parts boxes aren't really worth much.
Old 08-16-23, 09:11 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

Your adherence to your decision is admirable. I have a similar rule, but my number of bikes is higher than 3.
I've sold on bikes that I enjoyed restoring and riding, and seeing how the new owners were excited for the chance to have my bike was a different but just as precious kind of joy.
Old 08-16-23, 09:16 AM
halb 

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
selling a bike too valuable.

I find myself riding my 2nd tier, maybe 3rd tier, bikes the most.
It may be that my primary surface is a gravel/dirt rail trail, but my two Peugeot UO9's are the first choice.
They cost $20 and free, but 700x38 Gravel Kings fit perfectly. And my son gave me two pair of the tires with minimal wear from his fancy Specialized Diverge.
Indestructible and cheap like me. And my excuse is built in when I get dropped.
Likes For halb:
Old 08-16-23, 09:18 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
You'll like this then. just throw it in the garage, the cover will protect it from all the crap...
tyrell’s classic workshop on YouTube has a recent and a few earlier episodes on a F40. Interesting stuff.
turns out many were repainted fully or in part before delivery as the finish was not expected to be acceptable.
Old 08-16-23, 09:24 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by mpetry912

I liked that.

/markp
Boyer’s bikes were repainted as Confente before he rode the Coors Classic. The original paint was Lejeune and pretty dreadful. Envision stationary store silver tone foil paper stars on the dark blue head tube. ?!?
I doubt any owner would want to return one of the bikes bike as to original.
Old 08-16-23, 09:24 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
All my bikes are too good for me. Hell my girlfriend is too good for me. I just thought it meant I was lucky.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-16-23, 09:25 AM
pushrod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Nice.
Old 08-16-23, 09:27 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Perhaps "too good" is not quite the right phrase, but more, "not quite matching the intended use". I modify my bikes to suit my own use - leather saddle, retro LED lights, new saddle bag, new brake pads, replace cables as needed, new tires, etc. I make concessions to getting the bike on the road and into a safe and ride-ready state. I've sold a couple bikes that were basically mint and original down to the perishable parts because I thought it inappropriate to start modifying for my own use. In those cases, the buyers were people who collected old bikes and wanted a really pristine and original example of something. It was in deference to the originality of the bikes. But these were rare exceptions. Almost all of my bikes are pretty humble riders where it's perfectly OK to change cables or tires, or put in LED lightbulbs, etc.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 08-16-23, 09:30 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Perhaps "too good" is not quite the right phrase, but more, "not quite matching the intended use". I modify my bikes to suit my own use - leather saddle, retro LED lights, new saddle bag, new brake pads, replace cables as needed, new tires, etc. I make concessions to getting the bike on the road and into a safe and ride-ready state. I've sold a couple bikes that were basically mint and original down to the perishable parts because I thought it inappropriate to start modifying for my own use. In those cases, the buyers were people who collected old bikes and wanted a really pristine and original example of something. It was in deference to the originality of the bikes. But these were rare exceptions. Almost all of my bikes are pretty humble riders where it's perfectly OK to change cables or tires, or put in LED lightbulbs, etc.
I change bars and saddles usually and honestly I have way too many bikes. It would be healthier to take your approach.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-16-23, 09:36 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Lejeune bikes are staggeringly underappreciated. Even BikesDirect apparently never made an offer for the rights to the name. Me, I'd spend half an hour reorganizing my bike storage and keep the Lejeune.
That might be due to the Lejeune marque being owned by a South African gent. Francois DuToit seems to have bought the rights well before the buy the old marque spree. DuToit is still building and I believe this frame is one of his.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 08-16-23, 09:37 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
You'll like this then. just throw it in the garage, the cover will protect it from all the crap...

Kind of relevant to this thread - a friend had a 289 Cobra he bought in the early 80s and he loved driving that car. The values started escalating and about 10 years ago he sold it since it had become so valuable that he was no longer comfortable driving it. The joy behind the wheel was gone.

If the discomfort outweighs the joy, time to let go.

My 2 cents…
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 08-16-23, 09:38 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Matt , I didn't know you sold that Singer. That is the bike you were riding when I met you in Paso Robles California ? I think it is . You looked so comfy on that bike when we went on that ride. 2016 , I think.
It is, Joe. And yes, the Singer was such a well balanced bike and it made you feel all pretty inside when riding it :-)
Likes For northbend:
Old 08-16-23, 06:12 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I get the sentiment. I had a 1954 Hetchin's Magnum Opus fall in my lap in a trade for a considerably less valuable (yet full of sentiment for the guy who suggested the trade) bicycle. It certainly was nicely made, but it was so ostentatious that I felt self-conscious every time I rode it. Granted, I don't mind some attention when I'm out for a ride, but it overwhelmed me. Yes, I know it was all inside my head, but I feel better now that it has a new home with someone who presumably doesn't have that same issue.

That Le Jeune is lovely. Fortunately, it is also about 20 sizes too large for me. Whatever the reason, if you feel it appropriate to pass a bike on, let it go. Don't do it rashly, lest you regret it later, but if it's time, it's time.

Last edited by USAZorro; 08-16-23 at 07:49 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-16-23, 06:56 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 982 Posts
Follow your muse, Jon. If it's any comfort I'm delighted with the PX10 you sold me, and I was just fiddling with it. It's next up for a ride this weekend.

Old 08-16-23, 10:52 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I had a beautiful chrome Paramount that I just had to buy. After having it for awhile I realized that I didn’t like riding it because of the beautiful condition. And I just don’t have room for bikes I don’t ride. So I absolutely understand where your coming from.
This, I just don't get. You, of all people deserve a nice chrome Paramount.

Sure, I once ditched a beautiful, wonderful deRosa Professional because I didn't want to change out the Croce d'Aune gruppo to something that would work better for me. But I was never afraid of beating it up.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●