Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California - no more?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California - no more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24, 01:44 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Beautiful riding and region. The few complaints about destination access and traffic is no better or worse than other Eroica events. Plan for and accept or simply don't participate.

The Cali events were decreasing. Just a guess, but logistics and the extra effort for cooperating locality is probably the main crux.

Uncanny of a Cuba Eroica!
Old 01-10-24, 01:53 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Tell my more about the BWR. I might be able to get to that one and drag my boys into it, as well. Will has an early 1980s Centurion, and David has my old 1980 Peugeot PKN-10.
https://www.belgianwaffleride.bike/p...waffle-ride-ca
The BWR is not a vintage ride. 2024 will be the 13th edition. Most folks would call it a Gravel Race but much of the course is tarmac with a good deal of dirt road, gravel road, single track, sand, and a water crossing or two. Plenty of video on line along with prior years gps files. If you can put (in order of importance) spds, dual pivots, and indexed shifting on your bikes, you will have a blast.

Last edited by Classtime; 01-10-24 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-10-24, 03:39 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Or is it all just obsessed with inspecting the brake levers for pull direction?
I've been to Eroica California three times and never had my bike inspected. I have had my bike inspected at Cino, though they gave me the "heroic" stamp in spite of indexed shifters on my 1975 Grand Jubilé.

People seem to get upset about the stance Eroica takes on their rules. I think it's mostly a misunderstanding of what the event is about. I think the rules were there to discourage people who didn't want to attend the kind of event they wanted this to be. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-10-24, 04:05 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Why do you say that. Have you ever ridden it? The Eroica CA ride has been great every time I have ridden it and I think most people agree. There is the issue of the two post-Covid rides having very spotty on route support, but the ride was still great.
I'm sure it is a lovely route, I won't deny that. But you just wrote the support sucks. So what's worse, an organized ride with bad support or an unsupported ride? I see very little difference between the two so saying the ride support at Eroica CA is the reason to go to the event and not CBA is ********. The reason to go to any event is to meet with like-minded vintage folks. Whether a ride is unsupported or has crap support is like saying your hotel room at the event has a queen size bed instead of a king, who gives a ****?

I'd like to know this grapevine of vintage enthusiasts outside of Cino, It is a long way between coasts. There is very little cross pollenization and without it, you will get small, localized events like CR-West. Nothing wrong with that, it is just how the US will have vintage events. The idea a vintage event can be like an off-topic organized ride that attracts 1,000 riders just ain't going to happen.
Old 01-10-24, 04:20 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I'm sure it is a lovely route, I won't deny that. But you just wrote the support sucks. So what's worse, an organized ride with bad support or an unsupported ride? I see very little difference between the two so saying the ride support at Eroica CA is the reason to go to the event and not CBA is ********. The reason to go to any event is to meet with like-minded vintage folks. Whether a ride is unsupported or has crap support is like saying your hotel room at the event has a queen size bed instead of a king, who gives a ****?

I'd like to know this grapevine of vintage enthusiasts outside of Cino, It is a long way between coasts. There is very little cross pollenization and without it, you will get small, localized events like CR-West. Nothing wrong with that, it is just how the US will have vintage events. The idea a vintage event can be like an off-topic organized ride that attracts 1,000 riders just ain't going to happen.
I agree with much of what you spell out here. I'll skip the Eroica CA comments because it has been well covered. Your comment about what the future holds for vintage events is spot on, well to me anyway. That is exactly why I think Cino, CR-West, Auburn, and Bob Freeman's events as mainly regional gatherings are are so very important. Bigger is not better necessarily and it is, I believe, not the future that is realistic or actually what the hobby/sport/art form needs to sustain and just maybe grow a bit. We need people to step up and participate.
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 01-10-24, 04:27 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949
I'm curious is anyone has reached out to the organizers to clarify whether the event has been cancelled or not? A Classic Eroica CA on 9/15 was printed in the L'Eroica newspaper that was distributed at the Gaiole event last September, as well as a Nova. However, the website only initially listed the Nova, before it disappeared.

That being said, despite the support of the C&V tribe, Cambria is a bad location for an event like this. It is more than 2 hours from any airport of size, a 3 hour drive from any population center, heavily trafficked roads, and generally expensive lodging. All of this makes it difficult to attract participants. So I can see how the organizers may feel that the event would never scale up to a reasonable number of partcipants and cancel it.
Paso Robles / Cambria was originally pitched as being halfway between the two major population centers of California, Greater Los Angeles and the Bay Area. Hence, Eroica California. More importantly, Wes was the hero who organized the original run of the event, and was instrumental both in putting on the event and asking to be part of the Eroica organization. While he was putting on the event, it was very worthwhile and did not generate the intense critique / criticism that it did in later years. I feel like some of the harshest criticisms come from people who rode Eroica California both during Wes's tenure and also afterwards and saw just how much of a decline there was in the level and quality of the event. Couple that with the pandemic and general lack of clear communication from the Eroica organization, and here we are.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 01-10-24, 05:04 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Paso Robles / Cambria was originally pitched as being halfway between the two major population centers of California, Greater Los Angeles and the Bay Area. Hence, Eroica California. More importantly, Wes was the hero who organized the original run of the event, and was instrumental both in putting on the event and asking to be part of the Eroica organization. While he was putting on the event, it was very worthwhile and did not generate the intense critique / criticism that it did in later years. I feel like some of the harshest criticisms come from people who rode Eroica California both during Wes's tenure and also afterwards and saw just how much of a decline there was in the level and quality of the event. Couple that with the pandemic and general lack of clear communication from the Eroica organization, and here we are.
Wes was instrumental in getting this launched. I've seen him the last few years in Gaiole at that event, helping with the Concours and inspecting the bikes. I suspect that if he was still active in Eroica CA, we would not need this discussion.

My feeling on location is more about accesibility - Cambria is remote for a starting point. Paso less so, right off the main road for the central coast, closer for Bay Area and LA based people and easier to get to from SJC or SFO. Paso in, some respects, mimics the original event, find a small wine country town, surrounded by hills and decent roads...presto, lets ride.

But - there are plenty of places in the US that may be a better draw for an Eroica type of event - upstate NY, Sonoma County, OR wine country, Carolinas.
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 01-10-24, 05:38 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949
Wes was instrumental in getting this launched. I've seen him the last few years in Gaiole at that event, helping with the Concours and inspecting the bikes. I suspect that if he was still active in Eroica CA, we would not need this discussion.

My feeling on location is more about accesibility - Cambria is remote for a starting point. Paso less so, right off the main road for the central coast, closer for Bay Area and LA based people and easier to get to from SJC or SFO. Paso in, some respects, mimics the original event, find a small wine country town, surrounded by hills and decent roads...presto, lets ride.

But - there are plenty of places in the US that may be a better draw for an Eroica type of event - upstate NY, Sonoma County, OR wine country, Carolinas.
I want to mention that Cambria is next to one of the premier, beautiful coasts of the nation.
The coast really is a jewel with minimal development.
I certainly can see why one would want to host an event there.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 01-10-24, 06:03 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I want to mention that Cambria is next to one of the premier, beautiful coasts of the nation.
The coast really is a jewel with minimal development.
I certainly can see why one would want to host an event there.
Fully agree with you on the beauty of the Central Coast - one would think that it should be a better draw. Sea Otter has no issues in attracting people - the Monterey peninsula is a lot more accesible than Cambria

I live on the coast of CA. My town is having its first organized bike festival / event ever in October 2024. It will be interesting to see how many people attend that event.
Old 01-10-24, 08:32 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Knowing both IAB and Davester, you guys would actually get along very well.

Oh. And the support from the Eroica CA organizers the last three times I attended was well below ‘very poor’.
Great route, lots of fun to ride. But (as someone who attends events like this around the country) ya need to have, like water and support stops.

Last edited by rccardr; 01-10-24 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For rccardr:
Old 01-11-24, 02:13 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Oh. And the support from the Eroica CA organizers the last three times I attended was well below ‘very poor’.
Great route, lots of fun to ride. But (as someone who attends events like this around the country) ya need to have, like water and support stops.
Oh, come on, there was water available at most of the rest stops. (...thinking back...) OK, there was water available at at least one rest stop.
Old 01-11-24, 07:16 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Oh, come on, there was water available at most of the rest stops. (...thinking back...) OK, there was water available at at least one rest stop.
If you have to use your water filter or your desalination device, I don’t think that counts.
Old 01-11-24, 12:08 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by nlerner
If you have to use your water filter or your desalination device, I don’t think that counts.
There's no pleasing some people.
Old 01-11-24, 12:16 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
If ErociaCA is a go this year, I will attend unless something forces me not to. If EroicaCA is a no-go this year and beyond, I will be sad.

I've been to every edition (always the short route - hey, I'm a wuss) and have never failed to have a great time. Fun rides, great bikes, new friends made - that's what I wlll take away from it.

Oh, and profound gratitude to Wes for making it happen in the first place
Old 01-11-24, 08:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I've been to every edition (always the short route - hey, I'm a wuss)
Don’t sell yourself short. Last year you rode 300+ miles with a dozen or so other riders on our Touroica ride, carrying your kit most of the way. That’s more heroic than a one day event in my book.
Old 01-11-24, 08:16 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
This.
AND you were stylin’!
Old 01-12-24, 11:24 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Don’t sell yourself short. Last year you rode 300+ miles with a dozen or so other riders on our Touroica ride, carrying your kit most of the way. That’s more heroic than a one day event in my book.
Originally Posted by rccardr
This.
AND you were stylin’!
Aw, yer makin' e blush . . . .
Old 01-12-24, 01:23 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
All the kind words about and support for Cino are truly appreciated. I will pass them on the the many volunteers who make it happen.

Events are hard. Even within the state of Montana, Cino could be considered regional, so the efforts all the participants make to attend are especially appreciated by the volunteers.

I agree that the biggest draw for any event is the participants. It’s the main reason I keep Cino alive. As a teacher with my own children, it’s hard to get away during the school year. But that will change, and then I’ll get to attend more of the regional events! You guys are so fun to hang out with!

Bike nerds unite!
Mountaindave (AKA That Cino Guy)
Old 01-12-24, 06:10 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Eroica CA got pages of grief EVERY effing YEAR from a large number of posters here on BF. Many from “cyclists” who never participated. TBH, I wasn’t looking forward to another round of that.
Not every year, only after Wes was pushed out.

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
More importantly, Wes was the hero who organized the original run of the event, and was instrumental both in putting on the event and asking to be part of the Eroica organization. While he was putting on the event, it was very worthwhile and did not generate the intense critique / criticism that it did in later years. I feel like some of the harshest criticisms come from people who rode Eroica California both during Wes's tenure and also afterwards and saw just how much of a decline there was in the level and quality of the event.
Bingo. I attended every Eroica CA in Paso Robles and the first edition in Cambria. The events in Paso Robles under Wes's leadership were great, the support in Cambria was terrible. Between losing Wes and the move to Cambria (which I really disliked, though I understand the why of the move), I'm almost certainly done with Eroica CA. I will miss seeing the people that I've met there, both from this forum and others who aren't here, but it's silly to spend the money and make the time and effort to attend an event that just frustrates me in the end. Fortunately I will get to see many of those people at Cino.
Old 01-12-24, 10:16 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Even the PR based events were pooped on.
From January, 2015:
“I do not plan to attend instead opting to go to Cino Heroica up in MT. I have been following the discussion on CR list and am turned off by some of the onerous rules.”

But Wes was great. Wes did the course with 22s! Unless it rained and he would put on 25s.
Old 01-13-24, 01:36 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Originally Posted by davester
Why do you say that. Have you ever ridden it? The Eroica CA ride has been great every time I have ridden it and I think most people agree.

You did Not answer the Question ?? But here you are still commenting...
Old 01-13-24, 01:53 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
Not every year, only after Wes was pushed out.

Bingo. I attended every Eroica CA in Paso Robles and the first edition in Cambria. The events in Paso Robles under Wes's leadership were great, the support in Cambria was terrible. Between losing Wes and the move to Cambria (which I really disliked, though I understand the why of the move), I'm almost certainly done with Eroica CA. I will miss seeing the people that I've met there, both from this forum and others who aren't here, but it's silly to spend the money and make the time and effort to attend an event that just frustrates me in the end. Fortunately I will get to see many of those people at Cino.
Wholeheartedly agree…even the last event in Paso was a letdown as with the move out of town square to the fairgrounds all those additional attractions like the movie theatre showing bike movies, the art galleries with bike art, and all of the restaurants at close hand were lost. When finishing at the Paso square there was such a great vibe with folks everywhere scattered about in the cool shade and comfy lawn that the square offered…and you could easily get up and grab a beer…it was such a great experience, sad it is gone.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 01-13-24, 02:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I did not attend the “Paso” fairground year, the venue change really indicated it would be a different event.
Old 01-13-24, 03:40 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
At the Last Eroica event, a few of us had a long conversation with The Promoter of Eroica California about the shortcoming of the Event and also concerning the possible relocation back to Paso Robles . Amado looked us straight in the eyes and said , "Paso Did not want us there, Period ,We tried very hard to work with them and they flat out told Us , we do not want Eroica in Paso. " That put an end to that idea and any hope of moving it back.

To put things in context , I used to attend a very large custom car show in Paso Robles ,It was the Biggest Car show in So Cal and lots of us would make the trek north every year , Decades in fact . For whatever reason the City canceled the show and the promoters moved it to Santa Maria . Later we heard that the Paso Legislators and Citizens didnt want the hassle of holding such a large event in downtown and having the city overrun by out of town Partiers anymore. Perfectly understandable . If I remember correctly, years later the Car show eventually returned to the Paso Robles Fairgrounds.

Paso Robles is a done deal.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 01-13-24, 04:27 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
"Paso Did not want us there, period! We tried very hard to work with them and they flat out told Us, we do not want Eroica in Paso. "
This has been mentioned many times in previous threads about Eroica CA, but perhaps some have not heard it yet so it is worth saying again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.