Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need tire info for 1980 Schwinn Suburban.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 10:54 AM
HOOTs1980

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I just bought me a 1980 Schwinn Suburban 10 speed and it needs tires and tubes. What is a decent brand of tire and tubes to use? I'm not looking for the cheapest and certainly not the most expensive. Just a good reliable tube and tire set up for city riding.

Am I looking for a 27"x 1.25" tire tube size?

Also brake pads.. Are there brands to stay away from? Need info on these as well.
Been out of the bike game for many many years. Help me get back in it..
Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 06-11-16, 01:44 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 611 Posts
I used to use Kenda K35's on flip bikes but I recently had a brand new one twist and lump up like a snake that swallowed a bag of golf balls and it started to split in the tread grooves. Put on new last December and ridden less than 300 feet. I also have a pair of Continental Paselas with very low miles that are splitting between the gumwall and tread. I've had excellent luck with NASHBAR store brand tires and I had a pair of Vee Rubber 27 X 1-1/4" blackwalls I got off ebay I really liked. For tubes I've had good luck with NASHBAR brand, have had a few issues with valve stems leaking on Kendas, both Schrader and Presta. Lately I've used Bell tubes from WalMart and no issues "yet".
Old 06-11-16, 02:38 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Panaracer Paselas are sort of a "go to" tire for many on this forum. You can often find good pricing on them, they look period correct, and they're a decent tire. I use whatever tubes I can get a good price on.
Old 06-11-16, 03:21 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
IIRC, the Suburban had an alloy front rim and steel rear. So while Kool Stop pads in the front- I don't know who makes a good Steel Rim Pad.

I also suggest the tan wall Panaracer Paselas. I'd suggest getting the bigger tires 27 x 1 1/4. Loose Screws also has their "Sand Canyon" tires and they're 27 x 1 3/8". I like those as well.

Because the Suburban is a heavier bike- the more volume inside the tire will be appreciated.

I just use whatever tubes the LBS has.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 06-11-16 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-11-16, 04:33 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
convert the width tire you end up choosing to the metric size so you know what tube width to buy in 700c size.

for example, if you buy 1 1/4" tires, that's 1.25 x 2.54 = 32mm (roughly). so you will buy 700x32mm tubes or the next smaller (more narrow) size (like 28mm). it's ok to use somewhat smaller tubes than the tires.

i prefer presta valves. i hate schrader valves. but that's certainly individual preference and somewhat dependent on rims.
Old 06-11-16, 05:30 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Do not get a 'folding bead' tire, get a wire bead tire. Those rims will not hold a high pressure, folding bead tire. They are not 'hooked' rims.
Old 06-11-16, 08:45 PM
HOOTs1980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to buy something and then find out I shouldn't of. I'll be searching for the above mentioned stuff Sunday night. Going to be a rainy hot humid week here so it will give me time to go through this bike and hopefully the parts will be here while it gets PMed. My schedule this weekend is allowing very little time for this and it is killing me walking past it 2 dozen times a day.

So is Amazon a good place to source stuff? Or is there a go to business most people like as well ?

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-16, 09:25 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
IIRC, the Suburban had an alloy front rim and steel rear. So while Kool Stop pads in the front- I don't know who makes a good Steel Rim Pad.

I also suggest the tan wall Panaracer Paselas. I'd suggest getting the bigger tires 27 x 1 1/4. Loose Screws also has their "Sand Canyon" tires and they're 27 x 1 3/8". I like those as well.

Because the Suburban is a heavier bike- the more volume inside the tire will be appreciated.

I just use whatever tubes the LBS has.
I never, ever saw a Schwinn with one steel and one aluminum rim. These were always equipped with the Schwinn steel rims. Kool Stop pads work just fine on these.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-11-16, 10:08 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Do not get a 'folding bead' tire, get a wire bead tire. Those rims will not hold a high pressure, folding bead tire. They are not 'hooked' rims.
What's it matter whether the bead is steel wire or aramid fiber (Kevlar)? They're functionally equivalent once the tire's inflated and pressure pulls the bead into a circular shape.

That said, if using straight-sided rims, it would be wise to not inflate tires designed for hooked rims to their marked maximum pressure, regardless of bead material.
Old 06-11-16, 10:18 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Originally Posted by HOOTs1980
So is Amazon a good place to source stuff?
i use ebay for pretty much everything except rims, tires, tubes, and hoods.
Old 06-12-16, 08:09 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 611 Posts
I put the Kool Stop Salmon pads on 2 steel rim bikes and they greatly improved the braking. I used the threaded stem long pads for cantis on one of them with sidepulls and they worked great, maybe not quite the equivalent braking of switching to aluminum rims but close and a lot cheaper. The other had Weinmann center pulls so I used the "Continental" replacement pads on it. Kool Stops are worth the extra money.
Old 06-12-16, 09:59 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I never, ever saw a Schwinn with one steel and one aluminum rim. These were always equipped with the Schwinn steel rims. Kool Stop pads work just fine on these.
My old Suburban had a "Schwinn Approved" HF hub on an aluminum Belgian made Weinmann rim. I assumed it to be stock, as it made sense to have better braking in the front.

I didn't think anyone did any monkeying with it beyond replacing the derailleur.

Thanks!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-12-16, 10:59 AM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
My old Suburban had a "Schwinn Approved" HF hub on an aluminum Belgian made Weinmann rim.
If the hub had triangular cutouts then that front rim most likely had been taken from a Super Sport.
Old 06-12-16, 02:36 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Originally Posted by SkyDog75
What's it matter whether the bead is steel wire or aramid fiber (Kevlar)? They're functionally equivalent once the tire's inflated and pressure pulls the bead into a circular shape.

That said, if using straight-sided rims, it would be wise to not inflate tires designed for hooked rims to their marked maximum pressure, regardless of bead material.
Okay, then.
Old 06-12-16, 02:47 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Okay, then.
Sorry if I came across as argumentative; I was genuinely trying to ask if you had a concrete reason to avoid folding bead tires. (It wouldn't be the first time my intuition's been wrong.)
Old 06-12-16, 08:24 PM
HOOTs1980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about these? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CYTV4OA?psc=1

and these,https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 06-12-16, 09:40 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Those will work, but the tubes are Presta valve. You need Schraeder valve. Any bike shop will have them.

Old 06-13-16, 05:21 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Originally Posted by SkyDog75
Sorry if I came across as argumentative; I was genuinely trying to ask if you had a concrete reason to avoid folding bead tires. (It wouldn't be the first time my intuition's been wrong.)
They have a tendency to blow off the rims, IME.
Old 06-13-16, 01:28 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Those will work, but the tubes are Presta valve. You need Schraeder valve. Any bike shop will have them.
why not use prestas? and a rim adapter if necessary. or use that little nut to keep it in place we all usually toss in the bin.
Old 06-13-16, 10:37 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by eschlwc
why not use prestas? and a rim adapter if necessary. or use that little nut to keep it in place we all usually toss in the bin.
A Suburban came with Schraeder valves originally. If the OP wants to switch, has the adapters, and has a pump that works with Presta valves then fine. I assume none of this is true since he (another assumption) is a newbie (yet another assumption).

Old 06-14-16, 12:03 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

A Suburban came with Schraeder valves originally. If the OP wants to switch, has the adapters, and has a pump that works with Presta valves then fine. I assume none of this is true since he (another assumption) is a newbie (yet another assumption).
prestas are so much easier to deal with, even when using a $1 pump nozzle adapter like i do.

but, as you say, it came with schraders..
Old 06-14-16, 11:27 AM
HOOTs1980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correct on both assumptions. I have ZERO bicycle stuff at all except this Suburban I bought.
I am trying to avoid making a mistake buying something for it that should of been something else or just flat out incorrect parts.
Looks like I need to check into the difference between the valves. I honestly just thought they were two different name brands.

Way back in the day when I was heavily into bikes we had a locally owned toy store that took great pride in their bikes and after service work. There was never no question that what they sold was great quality stuff and when we customized the bikes there was a fellow there that could steer you into what you were looking for and have it ordered in if not in stock. Sad to say they eventually lost the fight to the big box stores for toys and bikes. But they held on till the late 90's although the strain was showing bad by then.

So now I start over from scratch with the only knowledge of bikes I retained and that is start with a Chicago Schwinn.
As I see right now all it needs is new tires. I hate anything old rubber so the tubes ,rim protectors, brake pads and all old grease has to go.
I'll need a hand pump.. Any suggestions there?

I would like to keep this bike with all original or close to original as possible. Performance upgrades are not frowned on but this bike will probably never see more than 10 miles an hour and most of it will just be flat level city cruising within a few miles of home. I do live on a small hillside but that is only a block long.

So by all means keep any and all suggestions coming. I really do appreciate it.
Old 06-14-16, 11:47 AM
ApolloSoyuz1975

Bikes: Cannondale SR400 (3.0). Phat t00bs!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOOTs1980
I would like to keep this bike with all original or close to original as possible. Performance upgrades are not frowned on but this bike will probably never see more than 10 miles an hour and most of it will just be flat level city cruising within a few miles of home. I do live on a small hillside but that is only a block long.

So by all means keep any and all suggestions coming. I really do appreciate it.
Hello - assuming your 'Burban does use 27" * 1&1/4" tires, a California business called Loose Screws offers a slightly-wider replacement. Link: https://www.loosescrews.com/
Otherwise, Continental & Panaracer both offer a couple models that would fit. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-14-16, 12:07 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I love my Suburban probably more than I should. I've been riding it around since I got it without doing any maintenance, but finally did the hubs (both were loose) and bottom bracket (bone dry). The headset feels great still, and the cables are still perfectly good. New brake pads (the old ones didn't stop the bike without needing about 100 yards). I left it rusty as can be. It's my pool cruiser/chinese food getter. I don't worry about leaving it locked up, I doubt anyone would ever steal it, and in it's current state of patina I doubt I'd find someone willing to spend $5 for it. The Wald basket on the front is the most expensive part on it, at $22. Bike was free, brake pads were in the parts bin, tires have been good since I got it. I might have had to buy a tube at one point, but I don't remember.
Old 06-14-16, 10:19 PM
HOOTs1980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like those tires. I also like the black walls over gum wall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.