Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Woman's Trek Neko 3 versus Trek FX3 Women's disc

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 06:51 PM
myotisfriend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am brand new to the forum! I have a Specialized mountain bike with front suspension (RockHopper). It is about 10 years old, although it is in perfect condition. I used it when I lived in Boulder CO. Now I live in Denver...mostly bike trails. Riding my specialized 18 miles was rather tiring. Looking at something more city oriented, but gravel and dirt trails too. Looking at the Neko 3 versus FX3. The difference is 3 pounds b/c the Neko 3 has a front suspension. Both roll so much easier than my Specialized. The FX3 has a carbon fork instead of a suspension, to "reduce vibration." It also has slightly narrower tire, that is "smoother" than the tire on the Neko 3. am 5' 1/2" and 102 pounds. I am 63, and am wondering which might be "kinder" to my body over time. I am VERY healthy right now, but want to stay that way!
Any opinions would be appreciated!
Old 05-30-18, 06:54 AM
BeachBunny

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I was considering the same two bikes. I ended up with a DS4 (for some reason they don’t make a Neko 4). The choice depends on what kind of surfaces you ride on. Smooth pavement, rough pavement, gravel, dirt? I chose a bike with front suspension because the roads around here are in bad shape. I like the option of having the suspension or, if I don’t need it, I can lock it out. The FX rode really nice as well and is great for fairly smooth surfaces. The carbon fork will absorb some road imperfections.

It’s all a very personal choice. Make sure you test ride them both and choose the one that’s right for you. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-18, 11:57 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome! I second @BeachBunny's advice to ride both bikes. Both are well-made Trek bikes that are in the same general price range and with similar components overall. Earlier this year, I sampled two of Giant's offerings in the same niches -- a Giant Escape (similar to a Trek FX) and a Giant Roam (similar to a Neko/DS). The two bikes felt very different to me. I preferred how the Roam rode to the Escape, so I bought the Roam. Either one will be able to handle the city-oriented (and gravel and dirt) trails you're considering just fine -- but the fit and riding position on the two will likely be different, so you'll want to try both to see which fits your body better. Don't focus on certain components or suspension or not -- let your body decide which type of bike it likes the best.
Old 05-30-18, 04:14 PM
myotisfriend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for advice

Thank you for your advice! Guess I'll take them out on a longer ride, and see if one of them speaks to me!