Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions on changing bar/stem

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 01:48 AM
ArMoRothar17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for the question, so please point me elsewhere if need be.

I have an integrated bar/stem and would like to change the stem length. I'm looking for something not crazy expensive (well, < 200 euro ideally, max 300) and sub-400g. I don't care about hidden cables and have a mechanical groupset. I'm looking for :
  • 40 cm road handlebar, compact
    • Would prefer something aero but not essential
  • 120 mm, less than 10 degree stem
    • Stem must fit a 1 1/4" steerer

As a secondary question, there's an aesthetic issue which only owners of Canyon Ultimates might be able to help with. The integrated cockpit I have (H36) has an unusually shaped top cap and spacers. If I change the stem, I'm wondering if should just leave the old spacers underneath - the bottom spacer is tailored to the wider headtube, so if I get any circular set of top cap and spacers, they could be much narrower and look a bit ugly. Anyone have experience with this, or something similar?

Very fussy, I know! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ArMoRothar17; 08-08-23 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 10:33 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Total internal routing is proprietary to each manufacturer where the handlebar, stem, headset spacers, and fork are an integrated system. As manufacturers discover design/engineering problems, their solutions change from year to year. Even if you were to abandon internal routing, there are no cable stops or entry ports on the frame. That's life on the bleeding edge.
Old 09-03-23, 02:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I've never had a integrated stem on a bike. But I'd think they are pretty unique to the model of bike. So you might be stuck with whatever sizes Canyon might sell if your bike is a Canyon. Otherwise you can probably make something else work, but it's probably going to look like crap.

Welcome to BF!

This question isn't quite a "how do you fit to your bike" question. But it doesn't really match to any other sub forum either. I might have just put it in Road Cycling or General. It's just as good here, though the audience might be quite a bit smaller than the other two forums I mentioned.

Your last question might be best in Bicycle Mechanic's, and that might have been good for the first too. All three of those sub-forums get a huge amount of traffic and viewers compared to here.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-03-23 at 03:03 PM.