Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Experience with 4iiii's factory install program?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 05:47 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts

I sent my left arm R8100 crank with preinstalled Precision 3 power meter for the ''apple find my'' 30$ upgrade a few weeks ago. It was delivered on February 14, 2024, according to my tracking #.

4iiii hasn't updated the order status yet. It still shows as ''order received'' which is the default as soon as you buy the upgrade online. They send you an email with shipping details and instructions after this. In that email, it was written that the upgrade would be done within 5 working days after receiving the product. I sent them 2 emails so far, called twice and left a voicemail. No one answers me.

I can't say that my experience with them so far is positive due to their lack (or total absence should I say) of communication.

Has anyone got through this process? If so, how long did it take?

Thank you!
Old 02-22-24, 07:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
I sent them an nds arm in January.
After they received it, the rank arm was returned to me 3 weeks later.
Their portal wasn't updated when I received the crank. It still showed as the install was in progress.
Old 02-22-24, 07:57 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
woah, good to know, I was considering doing this but 3 weeks is a long time. Rather just spend the extra 50 bucks and buy the arm.
Old 02-22-24, 11:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
woah, good to know, I was considering doing this but 3 weeks is a long time. Rather just spend the extra 50 bucks and buy the arm.
Bought the arm and it was delivered in a week and a half. Then they have a return program on your original for a few bucks.

Old 02-22-24, 11:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
I guess? I decided to do it in January...it's not like I would be riding the bike during that time. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month- wouldn't have mattered.
But if someone only has 1 bike and it's tmJune, yeah those 3 weeks would be an eternity.

I added the powermeter to a Praxis crank, and the factory install is the only way for Praxis cranks. 4iiii doesn't sell pre-installed Praxis arms. Sad face emoji
Old 02-23-24, 05:58 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I guess? I decided to do it in January...it's not like I would be riding the bike during that time. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month- wouldn't have mattered.
But if someone only has 1 bike and it's tmJune, yeah those 3 weeks would be an eternity.

I added the powermeter to a Praxis crank, and the factory install is the only way for Praxis cranks. 4iiii doesn't sell pre-installed Praxis arms. Sad face emoji
January is usually one of my highest mileage months. I don’t know why. Base training transitions to low key intervals, zone 2 rides get longer etc.

I have other bikes, but I have zero patience and can’t stand when one of my bikes is in pieces. The bike that needs a power meter is my checkpoint, naturally the second I take that a part some local gravel event will spring up or something. I do have a stock pile of LH crank arms, I need to check to see if any of them are 175mm. If they are, that changes things.
Old 02-23-24, 06:10 AM
eduskator

I don't mind the 3 weeks wait since I have a second bike that I use on the trainer during winter, but I do mind to not being updated on where my arm is and what's the progress.

Wouldn't do this if I didn't have a 2nd bike.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I sent them an nds arm in January.
After they received it, the rank arm was returned to me 3 weeks later.
Their portal wasn't updated when I received the crank. It still showed as the install was in progress.
Good to know. Was your order status updated to ''crank received for processing'' when they received your left arm?

I am assuming they have a poor tracking service and they don't update the status order. Mine has been at their warehouse for a week now and it still doesn't show as being received. Not sure why they would have such tracking system if it's not working properly.

I am very disappointed by their customer service to be honest. I shipped them a 500$ component and I don't even know where it is, if it's been received, processed, etc. Customer service won't respond. It's very....ordinary.
Old 02-23-24, 08:37 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I've used their factory install in the past on a GRX crankset and I've also purchased a GRX crankset with the power meter pre-installed.

The factory install was shipped back to me about 3 weeks after sending them my crankset and I was kept in the loop on what stage things were in for the most part. I found them responsive to email. The crankset with the pre-installed PM arrive a little over a week from date of purchase.

As an aside, my experience is that 4iiii customer service is excellent. I had been having issues getting a power meter to connect and was fiddling with the copper battery connector to get better contact and accidentally popped it off. I hit them up, sent in the broken power meter and crank. They just shipped me back a new crank and power meter no charge aside from the shipping cost to send them the crank.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 02-23-24, 01:28 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by KJ43
I've used their factory install in the past on a GRX crankset and I've also purchased a GRX crankset with the power meter pre-installed.

The factory install was shipped back to me about 3 weeks after sending them my crankset and I was kept in the loop on what stage things were in for the most part. I found them responsive to email. The crankset with the pre-installed PM arrive a little over a week from date of purchase.

As an aside, my experience is that 4iiii customer service is excellent. I had been having issues getting a power meter to connect and was fiddling with the copper battery connector to get better contact and accidentally popped it off. I hit them up, sent in the broken power meter and crank. They just shipped me back a new crank and power meter no charge aside from the shipping cost to send them the crank.
I'm in a different country so it may be different, but so far mine is just...non existing. No one has replied to my emails and phone calls in 2 weeks. 4iiii customer service is a ghost.

I'm not sure what my next step should be if I don't get any news. I'll give them until the end of the month to respond...
Old 02-24-24, 11:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I'm in a different country so it may be different, but so far mine is just...non existing. No one has replied to my emails and phone calls in 2 weeks. 4iiii customer service is a ghost.

I'm not sure what my next step should be if I don't get any news. I'll give them until the end of the month to respond...
Did you track your shipment and have proof it was received by them?
Old 02-25-24, 10:34 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Did you track your shipment and have proof it was received by them?
Yes. What bothers me is the fact that no one is responding to my enquiries.

I will be escalating in a week or two if no update is received and/or if I don't get an email or phone call from them. My experience with them is sh*t so far.
Old 02-25-24, 11:09 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
4iiii was extremely slow to respond to my failed left side power meter, after saying they would forward to the correct person at the company. This was a few months after Covid was everywhere, so I assumed that complicated things. I got no help or discount on my dead power meter, which had failed a few months after the 3 year warranty expired.

I have a Stages now. So nice. And no bogus 1-second huge power spikes that the 4iiii would transmit once or twice a ride. Like 150w, 972w, 112w, 122w....
Old 02-26-24, 06:01 AM
eduskator

Good to know.
Old 02-26-24, 02:23 PM
eduskator

Update : Customer service wrote back today and said they had lost my crank arm and they didn't know why.

They're sending me a brand new one today. The one I sent them was almost new so it doesn't make a difference.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-26-24, 02:32 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Mistakes happen. Sounds like they are doing the right thing.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-26-24, 03:59 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Update : Customer service wrote back today and said they had lost my crank arm and they didn't know why.

They're sending me a brand new one today. The one I sent them was almost new so it doesn't make a difference.
Sounds like a great resolution. The crankarm I sent them was pretty well ridden and scratched and they still replaced it with a new crankarm and power meter for free even though the issue was probably mostly my fault.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 02-29-24, 12:07 AM
Ssj

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Good news!

m waiting for my factory install to finish. Hopefully this week since this is week 3 for me.