Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C-record history and date codes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 08:24 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Who knows C-record well? I have a C-record crank purchased in 1986, I think. Now I'm in an argument with a friend over whether it's "really" a C-record, and if his mid-90s part, which he calls a C-record, really is one.

When did it start? I think I got this one from CampyOnly, 1986.

Were the C-record cranks the first to have the four-pin plus arm design?

Where can I find the key to teh date codes for these more modern gruppos?

Road Fan
Old 09-03-07, 07:09 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Only the C-record cranks had the hidden 5th arm behind the crank arm. And for the year I found this on velobase: "From 1980 - 1984 the year of crank manufacture is the last digit in a circle - "11" in a rectangle means 1985, "22" means 1986, and "33" means 1987" Is the Campagnolo winged shield logo engraved or printed on? The engraved logo are the earlier first generation (86?).
Old 09-03-07, 09:27 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by redxj
Only the C-record cranks had the hidden 5th arm behind the crank arm. And for the year I found this on velobase: "From 1980 - 1984 the year of crank manufacture is the last digit in a circle - "11" in a rectangle means 1985, "22" means 1986, and "33" means 1987" Is the Campagnolo winged shield logo engraved or printed on? The engraved logo are the earlier first generation (86?).
Ok, then! I have a four-pin crankset marked "11" in a rectangle, so it's a 1985. It has a printed shield logo. It's left arm has an inverted triangle (point up) and a "22" in a rectangle, also printed logo, so a 1986. Also I have a Chorus (I think) with both the drive side and non-drive side marked "41" in a rectangle, so that is ???

Is the same date system pertinent for Chorus, Racing T, and newer items?

Road Fan
Old 09-04-07, 10:25 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
I believe the dating codes mentioned above are for the Strada (Nuovo / Super Record) cranks. I'm not sure if they crossed over to the C-Record cranks as well. Engraved logo is earlier, the black printed logo is the later. VeloBase also has a lot of the Campagnolo catalogs posted (but requires a login to download). Registration is free however so that's a non-issue. I'm fairly sure Campagnolo dropped the "Corsa" Record for just "Record" around 1990 or so.
Old 09-04-07, 10:50 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
I believe the dating codes mentioned above are for the Strada (Nuovo / Super Record) cranks. I'm not sure if they crossed over to the C-Record cranks as well. Engraved logo is earlier, the black printed logo is the later. VeloBase also has a lot of the Campagnolo catalogs posted (but requires a login to download). Registration is free however so that's a non-issue. I'm fairly sure Campagnolo dropped the "Corsa" Record for just "Record" around 1990 or so.
My Corsa Record set of cranks are coded 4 in a circle, for 1984. There were a number of very minor changes to these over time, the stamped shield logo moved then went laser etched, the bottom brackets changed much more, fortunately the same width and offsets. I was surprised to get a pair with the '84 date code.
Old 09-04-07, 11:44 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by repechage
My Corsa Record set of cranks are coded 4 in a circle, for 1984. There were a number of very minor changes to these over time, the stamped shield logo moved then went laser etched, the bottom brackets changed much more, fortunately the same width and offsets. I was surprised to get a pair with the '84 date code.
Thanks for giving, gents! However, this is starting to look as muddy as it was before I asked.

My crank has the non-engraved logo fairly close to teh BB, not out near the chainrings as on the second C-record shown in Velobase. I looked at the early C-record catalog, but I haven't yet tried to trace the pattern through. I also FWIW have a script Ugo de Rosa pantographed on teh drive side arm.

Road Fan
Old 09-04-07, 12:21 PM
s70rguy
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Who knows C-record well? I have a C-record crank purchased in 1986, I think. Now I'm in an argument with a friend over whether it's "really" a C-record, and if his mid-90s part, which he calls a C-record, really is one.

When did it start? I think I got this one from CampyOnly, 1986.

Were the C-record cranks the first to have the four-pin plus arm design?

Where can I find the key to teh date codes for these more modern gruppos?

Road Fan
To add to the 'muddiness': my C-Record cranks have '21' in a rectangle and an engraved (or stamped) shield logo. 1985?
Old 09-04-07, 01:55 PM
melville

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for giving, gents! However, this is starting to look as muddy as it was before I asked.

My crank has the non-engraved logo fairly close to teh BB, not out near the chainrings as on the second C-record shown in Velobase. I looked at the early C-record catalog, but I haven't yet tried to trace the pattern through. I also FWIW have a script Ugo de Rosa pantographed on teh drive side arm.

Road Fan
If they were bought by you as a pair it means the left one has been replaced after cracking across/because of the pantographing. Old Record seemed to stand up pretty well to being carved on (except for the usual cracks starting where arm meets spider) but C-record, in my observation, seemed very prone to cracks originating in the pantograph.

Look for cracks in your right crankarm before you use it!

Later

Mel
Old 09-04-07, 02:02 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by s70rguy
To add to the 'muddiness': my C-Record cranks have '21' in a rectangle and an engraved (or stamped) shield logo. 1985?
yours is a special DUTCH only version produced for exactly one week to commemerate
the 1985 Amstel gold race (or they drank too many amstel's I forget which).

and which bike is this on?

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-05-07, 03:48 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by melville
If they were bought by you as a pair it means the left one has been replaced after cracking across/because of the pantographing. Old Record seemed to stand up pretty well to being carved on (except for the usual cracks starting where arm meets spider) but C-record, in my observation, seemed very prone to cracks originating in the pantograph.

Look for cracks in your right crankarm before you use it!

Later

Mel
Well, yeah, at first I thought I had a matched pair, but then when I looked for dates I realized I do not, and the non-drive is not panto! Probably the left cracked, and the right did not because of all the extra material associated with the integral 5th spider arm design.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-07, 03:53 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by lotek
yours is a special DUTCH only version produced for exactly one week to commemerate

Marty
Cute, I would have preferred you picked the Fuller's London Pride Pub to Pub Trophy Team bikes, but I think those are all broken.

I bought these used as part of a lot of parts. The best catches were a set of Record LF wheels with Mavic tubular rims and a pair of Clement Selle Main tires. I took the cranks because, well, they are Campy. I was planning to put them on my Mondonico conversion to 10 speed, but I want to go to 172.5 so I just got a 10 speed Record set with 53/39s and 172.5 arms.

So I don't think they're going on any bike at present.

Road Fan
Old 09-06-07, 08:00 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Cute, I would have preferred you picked the Fuller's London Pride Pub to Pub Trophy Team bikes, but I think those are all broken.

I bought these used as part of a lot of parts. The best catches were a set of Record LF wheels with Mavic tubular rims and a pair of Clement Selle Main tires. I took the cranks because, well, they are Campy. I was planning to put them on my Mondonico conversion to 10 speed, but I want to go to 172.5 so I just got a 10 speed Record set with 53/39s and 172.5 arms.

So I don't think they're going on any bike at present.

Road Fan
yah, I was just tweaking s70rguy who always finds amazing components on €10 bikes (think c record!).
I'd have taken the cranks too.

marty

Old 09-06-07, 11:32 AM
littledjahn

Bikes: Motobecane fixed conversion, Faggin fixed conversion, '86 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During which years was the century finish offered?
Old 09-06-07, 12:48 PM
lotek 

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I know century was available in 1991, not sure about 1990. By 1992
Campy went to Record, chorus and no century finish.
Marty

Old 09-06-07, 07:40 PM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Century finish was available in the first year via the Bianchi Centenario. A little known thing I read long, and I mean long ag, was that only the first 100 of these were equipped with the Delta brakes, the rest of the 1000 (or was it 5000?) all had a Super Record style brake. Another factoid, the headbadge is sterling on these.

The C record crank shape is still available in the Record track line

DG1
Old 09-07-07, 01:38 AM
s70rguy
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek

Marty
They're on the Gazelle Champion Mondial Speedstream. The cranks came from the LaCroix bike (not exactly a 10 euro bike ...); together with a pair of very early (but not prototypes) Delta brakes.
Old 07-30-20, 02:49 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,213 Posts
Old, but helpful thread.

I have a Chorus (I think) with both the drive side and non-drive side marked "41" in a rectangle, so that is ..?
1988. My Chorus or Athena crankset has the same marking.

"11" in a rectangle means 1985, "2x" means 1986, and "3x" means 1987. The second digit supposedly represents the quarter of the year during which the arm was made.

Bolded text taken from this site: https://astrocycloalpine.weebly.com/campy-notes.html