Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any brands or models of Bib you wouldn't buy again?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 09:31 AM
therhodeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got 3 pair of Gores and one pair of Bellwethers that I've had great luck with but 2 pair are getting a bit worn. Looking to hit up the late season sales but I don't want to gamble at the cost of new bibs. Any to avoid? If you had a fit issue please describe it. I'm 6' 165, fairly normal proportions and don't like super long bibs like Performance or Specialized.
Old 09-03-13, 09:38 AM
MattFoley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you wouldn't be buying Performance anyway, but they get my vote here. Fit is fine, but the chamois is like sandpaper.
Old 09-03-13, 12:43 PM
Bike Rebel

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 2010 Cannondale F5 1972 Raleigh Super Course 1981 Univega Gran Turismo 1985 Specialized Sequoia 1991 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I've had a couple pair of Descente bibs that I liked a lot. I've been very happy with the Performance Ultra bibs, for the price you can't beat them. I've got a pair of Adidas and another pair of Santini bibs that I don't like at all, the chamois are awful. I've had 2 pair of Cannondale bibs that I liked real well be didn't hold up at all. I had a pair of Sugoi bibs that I loved until that started coming unstitched. Luckily my LBS let me trade them in.
Old 09-03-13, 01:21 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Biemme - not terrible, but whay toooo much torso length for me... and the chamois was that overstuffed/sculpted thang.
I prefer a thin, plain chamois. Fabric was OK, though. prolly be OK for someone with long torso.
Castelli, Giordana, always good, although they tend more towards the very small side of Med - which is OK when I'm in good shape, otherwise I also keep a pair or 2 in Lg, for my winter fluff/holiday season 'form'... (which sadly, until a few months ago, was my year-round form these past 2 seasons).
More basic, good fit, decent fabric, OK chamois, US made - I'm good with Aerotech Designs stuff - more old school fit and finish than the newer, pricey Eye-Tal stuff.

I'm always amazed how some riders with bigger thighs get into this newer stuff. I mean, I'm serious chicken leg with no discernable ass, and I have a hard time getting my legs into some of these Mds....

EDIT: And I do like my PI stuff. Now that I think of it. The PI has been both well fitting and incredibly durable/wearable for decades, for me.

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-03-13 at 04:35 PM. Reason: just cause...
Old 09-03-13, 01:50 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I wouldn't buy Castelli shorts again. The ones I had lasted about a year, and that was simply in a rotation with a lot of other shorts.

I've had good luck with Performance shorts. I have a couple of pair that I've owned, believe it or not, for 20 years! The Ultras are good for hot weather, but I prefer the Elites for most days.

Old 09-03-13, 02:04 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Got one pair (my first) from Aerotek. It was low cut and the straps kept falling. I now get them here and they fit me (somewhat Clydish) and wear well. Plus their American made at a reasonable price, it that means anything to you. https://www.kucharik.com/
Old 09-03-13, 02:44 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Can't say there are any I'd avoid but - (except maybe Assos, crazy expensive !!!!) but I've always had good luck with PearlIzumi bibs, for comfort, fit and longevity. Lately I've been wearing Classic 3D Race bibs I got a couple pairs on closeout awhile back. Nice robust chamois. I also have a pair of Voler bibs that are pretty comfortable, that are on their last legs after a couple years, so I'd give that brand a shot again.
Old 09-03-13, 02:50 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I don't have any BAD bibs but I have some I'd steer clear of when the ride is longer than 40 miles!

I do like Giordana but the legs are longer than most of my other bibs, so maybe out for you.

I have some craft ones I like but they fit looser than I expected. (like PI Elite sizing, whereas PI Pro is more what I want)

Sugoi seem to have the shortest legs, they're pretty good all around.

My best, most favorite pair are castelli free race aero though - just got 'em last month so i can't swear to their longevity but I do love that chamois. It's thicker but not diaper thick like the descente pair I also have. They're my 80+ mile bib now, with the Giordanas occupying second position.

Castelli seem to fit smaller than Giordana even, which fit smaller than PI Pro and then everything else seems to be more normal america sized (for what I own) I'm 6'2" and 215, so definitely too fat for this sport.
Old 09-03-13, 04:08 PM
GaryPitts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought two pair of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product for my first bibs. Like them fine, with nothing to compare them to. A couple weeks ago, I heard rave reviews about the Castelli Body Paint 2.0 and bought a pair of them at $100 more than what I paid for the PIs. I don't like them any better, in fact a little worse because I have to pull the legs up to get them tight around the bottom where the PIs just fit. No difference in comfort. I guess I'm a PI man now until they let me down.
Old 09-06-13, 11:35 AM
Bostonbull

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had good luck with Nalini and Jackaroo. Not impressed with Champsys so far.......
Old 09-06-13, 01:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
ChampSys. Awful.
Old 09-06-13, 01:49 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first pair of bibs were AeroTech, and I liked them so much I bought 2 more pairs. I've also worn PIs, Primal, and DeMarchi. I'd buy any of those again, too.

But, even among the same brands, you'll find differences in the width and thickness of the chamois. It's really hard to say whether you'll like two different pairs, even within the same brand. Your rear end has to decide.
Old 09-06-13, 01:49 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I generally try and avoid Performance brand stuff, bibs included.
Over the years, I've had enough bad experiences with Performance quality, that I now just avoid.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-06-13, 02:24 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Voler Bibs are my favorite hands down. Their Elites are great and they last. Good chamois that holds up very well. You can usually find them on sale too.

I have Specialized, Perl Izumi, Castelli and Diadoria Bibs an I always reach for the Volers. Have 4 pairs so I don't have to worry about rotation.
Old 09-06-13, 02:32 PM
dkoernert

Bikes: 1999 Klein Quantum Race

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cheaper Garneaus. I haven't had any experience with their more expensive stuff, but the sub-$70 stuff has been awful. I made a huge jump in price and bought Rapha bibs. They are without a doubt the best I have ever used.
Old 09-06-13, 10:05 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy Castelli again. Super comfortable and they fit me well, but they didn't last very long. I also had some custom Jakroo shorts (and arm warmers) that didn't last long, either. I do still wear them under my shorts for the commute and I'll be able to wear them under my tights in the winter, so all isn't lost.

The others are simply fit issues. I fit better into the "Euro" sizing. Small Performance shorts are too big for me. The same is true for a few other brands. Santini has been my favorite so far in terms of fit.