Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mountain bike tires on wet roads?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 01:24 PM
TTGTriCkS0tZz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, im new to the forum and pretty new frequent cycling. I am hoping someone can chime in and offer some opinions
My situation: I have Mountain Bike with knobbly tires (that came with the bike 5 years ago), they are reasonably worn, not too bad though. I cycle to and from college every day and am pretty much always on the road but since its now winter (in Ireland) its always raining heavily and in the past 3 weeks, i had two accidents, both where i lost traction while cornering and fell.
Admittedly, i ride very fast but my question is: What would be the best course of action for me? (like type of tire, psi, etc). I would however like to stick with the chunky mtb style tire as it looks better and i ocassionally take shortcuts
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-07-14, 01:28 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTGTriCkS0tZz
(that came with the bike 5 years ago), they are reasonably worn, not too bad though its always raining heavily and in the past 3 weeks, i had two accidents, both where i lost traction while cornering and fell.
Admittedly, i ride very fast but my question is: What would be the best course of action for me? (like type of tire, psi, etc). I would however like to stick with the chunky mtb style tire as it looks better and i ocassionally take shortcuts
Thanks in advance for any help!
That is a very bad combo; worn tires, wet riding, and fast riding while cornering. Get new tires, and drop the psi. I would think around 35 psi, if you get a tubeless tire you can go to 25psi.
Old 12-07-14, 01:37 PM
TTGTriCkS0tZz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, it probably doesnt help that my current psi is around 50 then! I increased it to 50 because i thought it would help with drag or something (seeing as my college is very far away i was trying to make it easier for myself)

Edit: Come to think of it, i dont recall traction issues before increasing the psi. I guess ill try lowering that first, Thanks alot!

Last edited by TTGTriCkS0tZz; 12-07-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 02:15 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it comes to rain, slow down and lower the psi. I have also read a smooth tire (vs a knobby tire) works best because it places the most amount of rubber on the ground.

Avoid metal and painted surfaces and puddles hide pot holes.
Old 12-07-14, 02:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Yes, lowering the pressure a bit to put down more rubber is good, but not so much you risk flatting over hits. However, knobs are not the best choice for wet, just because you don't have as much rubber on the road as you would with a smooth or lightly textured tread. If you're looking at new tires and want something that's going to roll fast but also handle those dirt shortcuts, look at a semi-slick or urban type tire, something like the Kenda Kiniption (pictured below), Michelin Country Rock, or Continental Tour ride. Those kinds shold offer better wet control than a typical mountain bike knobbly. Check out biketiresdirect.com for a sense of what's out there.

Old 12-07-14, 02:37 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually less rolling resistance, (high psi) leads to less grip.
Old 12-07-14, 07:43 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want as much tire rubber in contact with the ground in wet road conditions, so knobbies are not a great choice. People generally lower the pressure in their tires in the wet to increase the size of the contact patch. Unfortunately knobby tires eventually get very squirmy when you lower the pressure too much. Slicks are the best choice for wet road riding.

Regardless of what tires you use, there will always be a maximum speed that you can take a wet corner at without wiping out. No tire can substitute for experience and caution in the wet.
Old 12-07-14, 08:22 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've run slicks on wet roads and cannot recommend them. a little tread is a good thing, i think i prevents aquaplaning to some degree. and, as mentioned, SLOW DOWN!, especially when cornering, and avoid metal manhole, water-main covers and painted lines.
Old 12-08-14, 12:28 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
tread doesn't help at all in the wet, it just takes more rubber off the road. The contact patch is so small they just squeeze all the water out of the way without tread.
Old 12-08-14, 12:36 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
i've run slicks on wet roads and cannot recommend them. a little tread is a good thing, i think i prevents aquaplaning to some degree. and, as mentioned, SLOW DOWN!, especially when cornering, and avoid metal manhole, water-main covers and painted lines.
all good tips. But i would continue running with slicks as the high pressures involved in bike tires negates the effects of a treaded tires, the grip is there for marketing purposes. However OP also said s/he wants to go off road.

OP: IDK much about mtb tires but I've taken my road specific tires off road and while they are rubbish in the mud, if you dont ride much in those conditions then maybe a road tire is better for you. I use schwalbe 35mm marathon supreme which are expensive but last ages (assuming you dont get any premature damage). I go off road too and they are terrible in mud as expected but for light off road use on hard packed stuff they are fine. My commute also takes me off road you see.
Old 12-08-14, 12:39 AM
newbie101
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm
When it comes to rain, slow down and lower the psi. I have also read a smooth tire (vs a knobby tire) works best because it places the most amount of rubber on the ground.

Avoid metal and painted surfaces and puddles hide pot holes.
Good, sensible points all around.

In general, I find that mtb tires and wet roads don't mix well.