Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How long before my saddle will be comfortable?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 09:02 PM
butterfinger15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This saddle I have is kicking my butt. Not sure if I still need to give it awhile or look into buying a new more comfortable one, but this is limiting my ride time. I'll search to find out what's popular out there just in case that is the recommendation.
Old 04-11-11, 09:22 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
What saddle are you talking about?
Old 04-11-11, 09:23 PM
engstrom
Getting a clue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've given my Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow 671 miles but I'm now officially on the hunt for my next saddle. High on my list is the Selle SMP Glider is next on my list of saddles to try.
Old 04-11-11, 09:39 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Define what you mean by "comfort." I want to make sure you aren't expecting a bike saddle to feel like a lounge chair. :-)

Old 04-11-11, 10:06 PM
butterfinger15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
What saddle are you talking about?
I'm using the stock Scott seat that came on my team. I'm comparing to my stock hybrid saddle which was definitely more comfortable. Not expecting a lazy boy experience but don't want to take away too much from performance. Mainly wanted to give it some time to build up my taint toughness but also don't want to be crying or complaining if its just something I need to get used to.
Old 04-12-11, 12:28 AM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given the material composition of your saddle, I doubt that it will ever become more comfortable with time. The only thing you can hope for is that you will become used to the saddle. Assuming that your riding position, bar position and saddle height, fore/aft etc. are all as good as it gets, then it's time to go shopping.

First, have a look at this thread on Riding Position and see if anything pops out that you might try. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tion-Discovery It may be that a slight adjustment to your bike or your riding position might be all that's needed.

If that doesn't help, then I would have a look at the many Brooks threads. A quick search will turn up quite a few. Here is just one : https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=brooks
Old 04-12-11, 09:04 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by butterfinger15
Not sure if I still need to give it awhile or look into buying a new more comfortable one, but this is limiting my ride time.
A saddle which causes actual pain, as opposed to just discomfort, will never become comfortable enough to ride. Most stock saddles fall info this category...
Old 04-12-11, 09:48 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Good Luck. You have to trust your butt, but here is the sum of my experience on the subject:

https://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...onspiracy.html

Marc
Old 04-12-11, 10:15 AM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I don't have a saddle sore (those can take weeks and weeks to heal, if you don't stay off the saddle), I give saddles about two weeks of riding at least three days per week. If it is not comfortable by that time, then my experience is that it never will be.

Granted your butt will get tougher and used to it over time. By "use to it," I mean that after a month or two you should not be moaning, but it probably will probably always be one of the primary limiting factors in how far or long you ride.

I demand to not think about my saddle at all, if possible.
Old 04-12-11, 10:39 AM
slipstream8

Bikes: 1998 Land Shark 853, Ibis Bow-Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short answer: it's not ever going to be really comfortable. There are quite a few threads in the Road forum on saddles. Width seems to be the most important factor in saddle comfort, and this correlates to the distance between your sit bones. Specialized dealers can measure this for you. Some shops have loaner saddles available so you don't have to buy before you find one that works for you. Popular saddles include Brooks, Specialized Body Geometry, and Fizik.

I switched from a Selle Italia Gel Flow to a Specialized Toupe and the difference was night and day.
Old 04-12-11, 10:48 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I came to the realization that hey it's a bike seat how can it be realll comfy. I find as long as I don't get saddle sores it's all good.
Old 04-12-11, 10:53 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up until February I always rode the stock saddles that came on my bike. Many thousand miles with only general discomfort...or so I thought. On V-day my wife bought me a Brooks saddle, the stock one feels like a bag of broken glass in comparison.
Old 04-12-11, 11:00 AM
slipstream8

Bikes: 1998 Land Shark 853, Ibis Bow-Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
I came to the realization that hey it's a bike seat how can it be realll comfy. I find as long as I don't get saddle sores it's all good.
I think you're giving up too easily. Sure, it will never feel like sitting on your couch at home, but a great fitting saddle paired with a good pair of bib shorts can almost disappear underneath you.
Old 04-12-11, 01:21 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Before getting another saddle make sure your bike is set up correctly. This refers to saddle height, tilt, and fore/aft positioning. After you feel you have everything set up correctly then give it about 2 weeks. If you still are experiencing discomfort then start looking for another saddle.

Most specialized dealers have a device that will measure your sit bone distance. This would be a good start in getting a saddle that is the proper width for you. However also take into account your riding posture.
Old 04-12-11, 01:55 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
Before getting another saddle make sure your bike is set up correctly. This refers to saddle height, tilt, and fore/aft positioning. After you feel you have everything set up correctly then give it about 2 weeks. If you still are experiencing discomfort then start looking for another saddle.
There's discomfort and there's pain. If the saddle is actually painful, my experience suggests that it will never be rideable.

Most specialized dealers have a device that will measure your sit bone distance. This would be a good start in getting a saddle that is the proper width for you. However also take into account your riding posture.
Just keep in mind that the Specialized Ass-o-meter measurements apply only to [i]Specialized[i] saddles. There is no standardization in the way that saddles are measured, so the measurement that you get from the Ass-o-meter won't apply to any other brand of saddle. Trust me: I learned this the hard way!