Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New bike day

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

New bike day

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 01:18 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
New bike day

Just for share, I'm super happy regarding it.
It is a gift from a friend, she traveled a lot with this bike. The bike has a long story too, started from California and now on south Italy.
it's a dahon equipped with altus 7v 11/38 (52).
basically I'm going to swap a few worn parts (chainring, derailleur's pulley and chain).
plus a deep clean and a bit of polishing.

Interesting the fact that the frame is made from cromoly

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by CrowSeph; 04-16-24 at 03:49 AM.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 04-16-24, 07:53 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
The same stuff as Superman. 👍🏿
Old 04-16-24, 10:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Congrats! I have the same bike and I LOVE IT! I bought it used with a trashed rear wheel and added an 11-38 to go with the 52 up front.
Happy riding!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-16-24, 01:14 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Same here, I have the same bike as well! It’s a good one and a plus on the Chromoly tag.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 04-18-24, 01:33 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 337 Posts
Generally a good bike, sky is the limit for mods. A couple things:

Bushing ("shim") between seatpost and seat tube: If aluminum (silver), great. If plastic (black), replace immediately, otherwise you get...

In that same area, the clamping slot front top of seat tube: Check there are no cracks emanating sideways from the wider section at the bottom of the slot. Also look for a circumferential crack on the seat tube just below that slot. None of the above, good.

Grasp seat post just below seat, and handlebar stem just below handlebars, move in opposite directions, like seat to right and stem to left, reverse. Feel any looseness or slight "clunking"? Check adjustment of main frame hinge clamp, stem hinge clamp.

Notice 2X crank, rear rack well aft for heel clearance, so requires extra long rack stays:

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-18-24 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-18-24, 01:38 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Congrats! I have the same bike and I LOVE IT! I bought it used with a trashed rear wheel and added an 11-38 to go with the 52 up front.
Happy riding!
Not same bike, but similar. Yours has a different frame, the main tube is smaller diameter, possible perfectly round, whereas the Dahon Speed of the OP has a deeper section larger ovalized main tube.
Old 04-18-24, 05:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
You are right...I failed to notice that. Mine is a steel Boardwalk...so it's similar, but not identical.
Old 04-21-24, 01:39 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
I installed a new crank since it was worn, I currently have a 44t (a bit low but that's what I had sitting around). New chain too and new shifter coming soon.
​​​​​​Not sure about doing a fresh paint job.
WHat you guys think? Original of custom paint?
Old 04-22-24, 04:16 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Thanks for sharing.
I installed a new crank since it was worn, I currently have a 44t (a bit low but that's what I had sitting around). New chain too and new shifter coming soon.
​​​​​​Not sure about doing a fresh paint job.
WHat you guys think? Original of custom paint?
If the original paint is mostly there, I would leave it and touch up where necessary, unless you hate the color. Touch up paints are now expensive at the auto parts store but nail polish works just as well and is very cheap for generic. Mine is exact same color as yours, I didn't find exact match but mix some dark blue with some gray on a small palette and use a separate brush or Q-tip to dab on spots where metal is exposed.

Huh, interesting... I see the original Dahon compact derailleur has been replaced, but mounted in same place, I had not considered that. I mounted a new one in typical location (but no hanger there on that frame) via a claw mount under the right axle nut. Your derailleur is easily long enough for a double crank in front.

Oooo, you have 11-38 cassette? Mine is only 11-30. That's great, you might not need a double crank. My 2X setup gives me 400% gear range, I'm finding that bare minimum for me with hills here.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-22-24 at 04:26 AM.