Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

car suggestions for cyclists

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

car suggestions for cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 11:38 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
How does taking the rear wheels off a car make more room for bikes..?
Well, it's rather tricky...

Old 05-16-16, 11:53 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Well, it's rather tricky...
Learning tricky stuff like this is why I love the 41...
Old 05-16-16, 12:33 PM
Mt. Tam

Bikes: Raleigh Revenio Carbon (w/Reynolds Aero 58's) , '90 Lemond (Z-Team steel, w/HPlusSon w/I9 Torch's), Ridley Supercross (w/Boyd Altamonts)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who prefers to load onto a hitch rack rather than a roof, how about getting something that has a 2" hitch, like a used Honda pilot. Your back will thank you for using a Thule T2 or Kuat-style tray rack instead of going to the roof every time
Old 05-16-16, 12:35 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Mercedes Benz V12 AMG S class.

There's a thread that's beaten this thing to death.
Old 05-16-16, 12:40 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
honda fit
I have a 2008 Fit Sport (i.e. the first generation sold in the USA) and it's great insofar that I can store my road bike it it without having to remove the front wheel. The rear seats fold completely flat turning it into a tiny van, capable of hauling many things. Of course in this configuration you can only have 2 passengers, 3 at a push (if you folded up the single rear seat, you might be able to fit the bike in, but I've not tried it).

The biggest downside of my Fit is that you can't any strap-on rear racks that fit it due to the spoiler, so if you wanted to carry a bike on the outside you'd either need a roof rack or get a tow bar mounted, but that said, I just keep the bike inside the car.
Old 05-16-16, 01:34 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
Mercedes Benz V12 AMG S class.

There's a thread that's beaten this thing to death.
Don't be greedy; I'm sure the regular S63 AMG would be adequate.
Old 05-16-16, 02:57 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Don't be greedy; I'm sure the regular S63 AMG would be adequate.
I, just, if we're only here once.. I mean.. I'll keep buying my lotto tickets.. that V12 is temptation surefire from hell itself.
Old 05-16-16, 03:30 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've thrown my mountain bike in the backseat of a E350 with white leather seats. Can't find the photo for that one.

And the backseat of a mini cooper convertible.

Your bike will fit in practically any car if you're determined enough.

Old 05-16-16, 05:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
I, just, if we're only here once.. I mean.. I'll keep buying my lotto tickets.. that V12 is temptation surefire from hell itself.
The want is stronk for a G63 Biturbo, I must admit.
Old 05-16-16, 08:01 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I have a 2008 Fit Sport (i.e. the first generation sold in the USA) and it's great insofar that I can store my road bike it it without having to remove the front wheel. The rear seats fold completely flat turning it into a tiny van, capable of hauling many things. Of course in this configuration you can only have 2 passengers, 3 at a push (if you folded up the single rear seat, you might be able to fit the bike in, but I've not tried it).

The biggest downside of my Fit is that you can't any strap-on rear racks that fit it due to the spoiler, so if you wanted to carry a bike on the outside you'd either need a roof rack or get a tow bar mounted, but that said, I just keep the bike inside the car.
Depends on the rear rack.

Saris Bones rack fits nicely on our (2013) Fit, despite spoiler.

Lovely bike transporting car, imho.
Old 05-16-16, 08:50 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by Boudicca
Depends on the rear rack.

Saris Bones rack fits nicely on our (2013) Fit, despite spoiler.

Lovely bike transporting car, imho.
Saris website says it doesn't fit a 2008 Fit with a spoiler. The 2013 is a different design.
Old 05-17-16, 06:03 AM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The want is stronk for a G63 Biturbo, I must admit.
First car was an early 90's mercury tracer wagon at 88 horsepower. For some reason I've been slightly horsepower obsessed ever since. After being spoiled on a sport bike that would do 0-60 in sub 3 seconds I'm left on 4 wheels going 'this is fast?'. I've inserted a humble brag and also added some snooty/snobby flavor within this post. Post success.

Also: Danger-seeking cool points added for motorcycle here.

Last edited by topslop1; 05-17-16 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 07:41 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
I had access to a Honda Element a few years back and remember it being one of the best cars I'd ever used for carrying bikes. And, unlike the Fiat, it's got Honda reliability...
My neighbor has one and put a sticker on the back saying "Toaster Edition" on it. Good sense of humor. I prefer a wagon/avant over small and midsized SUV type cars. But hard to argue against the Fiat 500 for the OP. If the OP drives a lot of highway miles, then a VW Golf TDI would be a nice choice. The Prius if a lot of city stop and go driving perhaps. Just still scared of the cost when the batteries need to be replaced. Wish the BMW 118d was in this country but you can't have everything...
Old 05-17-16, 07:50 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Top 10 hatchbacks: 10 Best Used Hatchbacks | Autobytel.com

1. Toyota Matrix
2. Honda Fit
3. Mini Cooper
4. Chevy Sonic
5. VW GTI
6. Scion xB
7. Mazada 3
8. Ford Fiesta
9. Subaru Impraza
10. Nissan Juke

Out of these, if cost was not much concern I'd get the VW GTI hands down. But its probably the most expensive one there besides the Subaru Impreza. Mazda 3 and Ford Fiesta would probably be good values.
Old 05-17-16, 07:56 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by ptempel
Top 10 hatchbacks: 10 Best Used Hatchbacks | Autobytel.com

1. Toyota Matrix
So good they discontinued it (in the USA at least):

Toyota Matrix is Discontinued | Find a Used Toyota Matrix
Old 05-17-16, 09:17 AM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subaru Outback. Go anywhere, do anything. Older models are pretty cheap, easy to maintain (also have a timing chain which is awesome), roomy, and get relatively decent gas mileage. I have a 2001 Outback H6 3.0 VDC and it's killer for outdoor activities. Throw a Thule rack on top with a couple bike racks and a cage and you're good to go. Don't forget the wheel holder if you go fork-mounted or go with a Sidearm. I upgraded to some meatier tires for light offroad as well.

Attached Images
Old 05-17-16, 09:28 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Friends have a Honda Fit and it is the cat's pyjamas. We looked at one and decided it was too small for me - I'm a big guy and didn't have room for my left arm while driving. Otherwise I would have one now. Instead we got a Mazda 5 (wagon/mini-minivan) and a hitch mount rack.
Old 05-18-16, 07:12 AM
ptempel

So good they discontinued it (in the USA at least):

Toyota Matrix is Discontinued | Find a Used Toyota Matrix
Huh. Never knew that. This article cites lack of improvements and soft market in the US:

Listed: Six cars that replace the Toyota Matrix - The Globe and Mail

"We can all understand the Matrix decline. While the Matrix has always been exceptionally reliable, over the past few years, the competition has passed it in space, comfort, power and refinement. Toyota let the design and its execution grow old and stale for more many reasons, of course, but perhaps the biggest one was this: Americans don’t really like small hatchbacks and don’t buy them in great numbers."

Really? So we're a burger eatin' SUV/truck luvin' society then?
Old 05-18-16, 07:16 AM
dr_lha

Really? So we're a burger eatin' SUV/truck luvin' society then?
Judging by the parking lot of my work, yes. Well for the SUV part at least.
Old 05-18-16, 08:09 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Honda Element. I can slide a road bike, 29er, or fatbike in the back with no fuss whatsoever, from the side or rear hatch. two bikes fit no problem, and I could probably slide in three if I really needed to.

You could also look at older prius's, I had a 2006 for a few year, beat the snot out of it commuting 40 miles each way on low traffic farm roads, mostly going 90-100 mph, and the only issue the car ever had was weak AC (which it had when I bought it, just got progressively weaker till it stopped working). And, as stated, the older ones are cheap!

I would avoid VW, generally NOT cheap, and while fun, if they have mechanical problems they cost what any German car costs to fix.
Old 05-18-16, 08:54 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Interesting article. The speculate that the weak US sales make it economically unfeasible to make Matrices for North America. They are among the most popular cars in Canada (according to my observations on Canadian roads), probably in the same league as Honda Civics and Mazda 3s, but I guess the yanks don't like them. Many US Americans (and such as) seem to be ashamed to drive small cars, as if only a poor person would do so.
WWJD? Drive a gas guzzler, apparently.

The same fate has befallen my current car, the Mazda 5 - there are about ten of them in driveways within three blocks of my house in our small town - one particular block has four - and I see a few every time I am out driving, but they no longer export them to NA due to 'slow sales.'

Edit: I should also mention that I wanted to buy a Matrix when they first came out in the mid 2000s - we just had our first child an thought it would be a good re-entry into the world of auto ownership, but, like I said about the Honda Fit earlier, I was too cramped in it to have been comfortable. We got a Hyundai Accent (aka Hindu Accident) instead, as their interior space fits me better. The reason we wanted a Matrix was the lack of other options for hatchbacks at the time - the only other ones available at the time were (I think) from Hyundai, Mazda, and (if you can call it a hatchback) the Chrysler PT cruiser.

Last edited by Wilfred Laurier; 05-18-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 09:03 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Interesting article. The speculate that the weak US sales make it economically unfeasible to make Matrices for North America. They are among the most popular cars in Canada (according to my observations on Canadian roads), probably in the same league as Honda Civics and Mazda 3s, but I guess the yanks don't like them. Many US Americans (and such as) seem to be ashamed to drive small cars, as if only a poor person would do so.
WWJD? Drive a gas guzzler, apparently.

The same fate has befallen my current car, the Mazda 5 - there are about ten of them in driveways within three blocks of my house in our small town - one particular block has four - and I see a few every time I am out driving, but they no longer export them to NA due to 'slow sales.'

Edit: I should also mention that I wanted to buy a Matrix when they first came out in the mid 2000s - we just had our first child an thought it would be a good re-entry into the world of auto ownership, but, like I said about the Honda Fit earlier, I was too cramped in it to have been comfortable. We got a Hyundai Accent (aka Hindu Accident) instead, as their interior space fits me better. The reason we wanted a Matrix was the lack of other options for hatchbacks at the time - the only other ones available at the time were (I think) from Hyundai, Mazda, and (if you can call it a hatchback) the Chrysler PT cruiser.
Out of interest, how big are you? The 2008 Fit for me is surprisingly spacious, and perfectly comfortable for me, a 6'2" 250+lb man. I suppose if you're significantly taller than me, that would cause issues.

FYI the top three selling "cars" in the USA are the Ford F-series, Chevy Silverado and Dodge Ram. Read into that what you will regarding the Americans willingness to own small cars.
Old 05-18-16, 09:19 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My neighbor has one and put a sticker on the back saying "Toaster Edition" on it. Good sense of humor. I prefer a wagon/avant over small and midsized SUV type cars. But hard to argue against the Fiat 500 for the OP. If the OP drives a lot of highway miles, then a VW Golf TDI would be a nice choice. The Prius if a lot of city stop and go driving perhaps. Just still scared of the cost when the batteries need to be replaced. Wish the BMW 118d was in this country but you can't have everything...
My favorite used diesel wagon is the Mercedes 300TD series. Great body style, decent safety features, and one of the easiest cars to work on I have ever encountered.

Plenty of parts available, too...
Old 05-18-16, 09:19 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Out of interest, how big are you? The 2008 Fit for me is surprisingly spacious, and perfectly comfortable for me, a 6'2" 250+lb man. I suppose if you're significantly taller than me, that would cause issues.

FYI the top three selling "cars" in the USA are the Ford F-series, Chevy Silverado and Dodge Ram. Read into that what you will regarding the Americans willingness to own small cars.
I am about 6'5", around 230 lbs. The headroom and legroom were acceptable in the Fit, but I have very wide shoulders and find my left arm is permanently pressed against the door in many small cars - almost all Toyotas and Hondas included, it would seem.

Canadians love their trucks (F150 is in the top three I think), too, but for people looking for cars instead of trucks, Canadians seem to go for compact hatchbacks and wagons while US Americans seem to like larger more 'luxurious' cars. I think 'crossovers' are taking market share from large and small cars now, though.
Old 05-18-16, 09:42 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Canadians love their trucks (F150 is in the top three I think), too, but for people looking for cars instead of trucks, Canadians seem to go for compact hatchbacks and wagons while US Americans seem to like larger more 'luxurious' cars. I think 'crossovers' are taking market share from large and small cars now, though.
There's very little reason to buy a "small" car in the US. The gas mileage between a small car and mid-size is almost non-existent (a Camry is arguably a large sedan now). A Prius beats basically everything on mileage, and is extremely popular, so you can't argue that smaller cars don't sell. In most areas, there's no parking advantage for smaller cars (still have to park in marked spaces). The very core of NYC, Chicago, & SF are the exceptions not the rule.

Small cars that aren't cheap do sell moderately well, such as Mini or VW. Part of the reason is that many of the smalliest cars are price-point cars, and feel very cheap compared to what a little bit more gets you. And everyone is buying cross-overs now that they're basically the suburban station wagon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.