Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Michelin Pro Race tires, durability question.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 03:03 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up a pair of these onsale at Performance Bike but I'm wondering about the durability of these tires. I don't expect them to last terribly long but I don't want a lot of flats either.

So, anyone with experience with these tires care to comment on them?
Old 01-08-06, 03:05 PM
Coyote2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since you've already bought 'em, perhaps it's not worth worrying. Just start riding and then tell us how they hold up!
Old 01-08-06, 03:09 PM
nnewton123

Bikes: '04 Trek 1200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me.... no problems with flats, only had 2 or 3 all year in 5000+ miles. ~3000-3500 miles on front tire, ~2000 miles on back tire before replacing.
Old 01-08-06, 03:09 PM
Stjtoday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personal experience: purchased a pair, rode them about 200 miles with 5 flats. To say the least they went in the trash can. Rode Continental 3000's ever since with extremely low flat rate. (About 3500 miles since the Mich's)
Old 01-08-06, 03:11 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote2
Since you've already bought 'em, perhaps it's not worth worrying. Just start riding and then tell us how they hold up!
Well, that's the plan. They are going on my new bike which I won't have back from the painter for a couple months so I won't have any updates for a while.

I am riding on Specialized Mondo Pros on my Felt and they have been pretty good. Only one flat but the rear tire is wearing out faster than the front. I have about 800 miles on them and the rear tire is starting to look a little flat along the contact patch area instead of round.

Edit-I put the Specialized tires on in September.
Old 01-08-06, 03:20 PM
SteveAZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on my second rear tire (was my front and front got new) and at about 3k miles. This ones starting to show a fairly good flat spot so I'm guessing another 500 miles or so and it'll be time to swap the front for new again. Anyway, I always run a liner in my tires (I'm only training at this point) and of course get very few flats. In looking at the condition of the tire though, they do get a few little slits in them but none seem to go all the way through. I'm pleased with them thus far and have no plans of changing. For me the biggest thing I noticed was good feedback and I'm confident with them in the corners. No wet weather ridng experience though.
Old 01-08-06, 03:22 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coyote2
I agree, You bought them, why worry about it? Just go out and ride them.
Old 01-08-06, 03:25 PM
sambo76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use them very happy with them. Average around 3k+ kms on a rear tyre. Usually change once I get a few punctures in a short period. Am using pro race 2's now and they seem to be getting better wear with out any negatives in handling characteristics compared to original pro race which were known to be a soft tyre.

As for Conti's will never use again had 2 tyres where rubber peeled off to reveal base layer after 400kms nad had another set where I punctured at least once a week.
Old 01-08-06, 03:27 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbud
I agree, You bought them, why worry about it? Just go out and ride them.
I'm not worried. Just curious what others have experienced is all. Is that too much to ask? Geez, it's not like I asked you to kill someone.
Old 01-08-06, 03:31 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i have em on three different bikes and haven't had a flat in months(of course saying that now i will get one the second i get on the bike). one of the bikes is a fixie i skid on regularly.
i'd guess the poster above with 5 flats in 200 miles had some bad luck.
Old 01-08-06, 03:32 PM
alraicercsu

Bikes: Litespeed Hyperion, 06 cervelo soloist team, 69 motobecan grand touring, 72 motobeacn grand touring, 2004 giant OCR3 converted into a TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a pair for an entire year of training and racing and I just finally replaced them, I have had 2 flats total with them.
Old 01-08-06, 03:58 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider
I picked up a pair of these onsale at Performance Bike but I'm wondering about the durability of these tires. I don't expect them to last terribly long but I don't want a lot of flats either.

So, anyone with experience with these tires care to comment on them?
These are racing tires. They are not going to last as long or handle as heavy loads as well as touring tires. On the other hand, if you're not seriously overweight and you like riding fast, then the performance difference will be very noticable.
Old 01-08-06, 04:00 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SDRider
I'm not worried. Just curious what others have experienced is all. Is that too much to ask? Geez, it's not like I asked you to kill someone.
They are bike tires! You bought them. What are you going to do even if they ware faster then you'd like? Stop worry about stuff like that and enjoy them. You live in one of the greatest spots in the world to bike that's not under a foot of snow right now. Go out and ride.
Old 01-08-06, 04:12 PM
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride them, probably get 1500-2000 miles. Never had any issues. I have tried other tires but come back to this because of

1. Durability
2. Grip
Old 01-08-06, 04:32 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbud
They are bike tires! You bought them. What are you going to do even if they ware faster then you'd like? Stop worry about stuff like that and enjoy them. You live in one of the greatest spots in the world to bike that's not under a foot of snow right now. Go out and ride.
Can't ride today. My wife is a realtor and is working today so I'm at home with my son.
Old 01-08-06, 05:15 PM
flyingasics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1500-2000 for the rear for me. Most of the flats I have gotten are from really big stuff that would puncture almost any tire.
Old 01-08-06, 07:07 PM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had 3608 miles on my michelin pro race tires before i needed to change them... rarely had a flat (maybe one????) replaced them with michelin pro race 2's... they have 2594 on them....
Old 01-08-06, 07:35 PM
RichmondRider
Just havin' fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Pro Race 2 tires and put 4300 miles on them so far. Very happy with them. Got my first flat yesterday, oddly enough. Even though they look like they could probably go another 1000, I'll probably replace them. Most of my rides are before sunlight, and changing a tire in the dark is not worth maxing out the tire mileage.