Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need Advice? 2013 Specialized Crux Elite

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 11:16 AM
Vegaking

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just finally got back in the saddle after a three year lay off. I went through a divorce and sold all of my bikes. My first purchase was a new 2013 Specialized Crux elite.

Shimano Sora groupset

cantilever brakes

DT Swiss 1.0 etrto clinchers

Specialized Trigger Sport 700x33

Stock bike....I would post pics but can't til 10 posts. I plan on racing in the fall but it is also my commuter. First, cheap initial easy upgrades, second, upgrades before race season. Commuting I use flats (which one undecided open to opinions) this town is not a friendly bike city feel comfortable in the flats. I will change out to clips for training(I know what I want here). Color scheme is black and white any thoughts on accent colors and where? I have to be careful, I already know I will buy a MTB here soon and single speed at some point. Right now though I want to sink some investment into the Crux and plan for what's next. All advice is good advice.... fire away. Thank you
Old 03-28-19, 11:50 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
"Cheap upgrades" tend to fall under one of two buckets for me. 1) Something aesthetic or 2) something you need. Generally speaking there's only one upgrade that makes a noticable difference right away, and that's a new lighter/better wheelset. However, that isn't cheap.
Red goes well with black and white. Two wheelsets would make for easy changing between commuting and training/racing. I'm not really sure where else to go with this one.
Old 03-28-19, 12:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegaking
Stock bike....I would post pics but can't til 10 posts. I plan on racing in the fall but it is also my commuter. First, cheap initial easy upgrades, second, upgrades before race season. All advice is good advice.... fire away. Thank you
Ride it and figure out what you like and dont like before changing/upgrading.

If the gearing is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the saddle is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the bar tape is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the bar is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the tires are good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the brakes are good for you, then perfect- no need to change.

Etc etc.

What works for me as an upgrade might not work for you.

My guess is the tires are pretty cheap/heavy/slow. Ride em and find out. Then come back and you can be inundated with options that fit whatever your style of riding is(width, tread, etc) and budget.
Old 03-28-19, 12:41 PM
Vegaking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
"Cheap upgrades" tend to fall under one of two buckets for me. 1) Something aesthetic or 2) something you need. Generally speaking there's only one upgrade that makes a noticable difference right away, and possibly that's a new lighter/better wheelset. However, that isn't cheap.
Red goes well with black and white. Two wheelsets would make for easy changing between commuting and training/racing. I'm not really sure where else to go with this one.
Let me ask you this. So its better beside some aesthetic upgrades I might do now and keep the bike as is for now. Save the cash for a couple of months and then spend on upgrades. I am not a fan of the Soras and would like to go to a 1x eventually. I am not a fan of the wheelset either but I will probably not want to put more than $1000 into it before cyclocross season. Is it possible to do both? Honestly the bikes I have had in the past I bought them the way I wanted them but nowadays I have to scrap and save to get where I will be happy with this bike(used or new components). I don't need top of line but I would like to get it in the middle. I do not know what that really means for me as where to go with wheelset to be honest.
Old 03-28-19, 12:58 PM
Vegaking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ride it and figure out what you like and dont like before changing/upgrading.

If the gearing is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the saddle is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the bar tape is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the bar is good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the tires are good for you, then perfect- no need to change.
If the brakes are good for you, then perfect- no need to change.

Etc etc.

What works for me as an upgrade might not work for you.

My guess is the tires are pretty cheap/heavy/slow. Ride em and find out. Then come back and you can be inundated with options that fit whatever your style of riding is(width, tread, etc) and budget.
Right and good point made me really rethink my question. I am classic over thinker and maybe I was just looking for some validity. I hate the Soras, the DT Swiss wheels set, Tires decent for commuting, no good though if I tear through the park or abandoned golf course. I have close to 200 miles on it already. I guess it time to start some more part specific post. I don't know jack about wheel sets besides clincher and tubeless. Thank you, helped me answer my own question..

Last edited by Vegaking; 03-28-19 at 01:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-28-19, 02:15 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegaking
Let me ask you this. So its better beside some aesthetic upgrades I might do now and keep the bike as is for now. Save the cash for a couple of months and then spend on upgrades. I am not a fan of the Soras and would like to go to a 1x eventually. I am not a fan of the wheelset either but I will probably not want to put more than $1000 into it before cyclocross season. Is it possible to do both? Honestly the bikes I have had in the past I bought them the way I wanted them but nowadays I have to scrap and save to get where I will be happy with this bike(used or new components). I don't need top of line but I would like to get it in the middle. I do not know what that really means for me as where to go with wheelset to be honest.
Yeah I think you're getting the idea here. Spending money on aesthetics when you don't have a lot to spend in the first place probably isn't the best idea. I'd ride it as is for a while and save for a decent tubeless wheelset. Then after that I'd save for your desired 1X setup.
Old 04-01-19, 12:37 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Why go to 1x, if 2x works?
2x gives you flexibility and ability to fine tune your cadence. for my bike, there was no tangible advantage to 1x.
It may be a fun thing to do, but it is not a "gotta have" To do it right, you need a new cassette and derailer to get your low gearing back.

Personally, I would just get good tires and maybe wheelset. Put as big a tire as you can in there (and keep some mud clearance if you race in mud) and go tubeless. Its a nice bike for urban beating, fast commuting, gravel grinding, CX racing.
Old 04-02-19, 05:33 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Congrats on the bike!

I'd ride it a lot and then decide what changes to make. It might surprise you.