Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge or Grail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 03:19 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Yes you can, but they charged me $400 for the privilege of doing it myself.
they do seem to allow some customization in Europe (from what I have read), but they don't in the US.
You're getting a new carbon stem and carbon bar. I think that is pretty comparable to buying two separate carbon components.
Old 03-06-19, 12:23 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Can the Inflite take a 40mm tire?
Kinda.

The chain stays are asymmetric. - there is less clearance on the drive side. Oddly, it looks like the wheels are build wrong, but its the chain stays. I run a 40mm, but to be safe I put a little dish in the rear wheel to move it over a few mm. 28mm isn't a problem. I'm using Maxis Ramblers. (38 & 40).

I've run 50mm in the front.
Old 03-06-19, 02:47 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DPlan
I was set on getting a 58cm 2018 Diverge Comp E5 (105) for $1,699 or the 2018 all carbon Sport (Tiagra) for $1,899 as my first gravel bike. I do not own a ride bike, so I am kinda new. I posted in another topic about the specs of each bike and their pros and cons.

And then someone brought up the Canyon Grail, which is $2,069. The Grail is all carbon with ultegra hydraulic brakes and a 105 groupset.

My riding is going to mostly be done on pavement, with some gravel trails. I like a fun ride, but I also like to train and go hard, but the only sportif riding I would do could be some sprint tris, but nothing serious... yet?

My starting budget was around $1,700, but I can stretch it. I know that any of these bikes is probably more than I need and I will be happy with them all, but I want to get it right the first time. This will probably be not just my first bike, but my only bike.

Can anyone speak to the Grail? Or any other bike that I may have not looked at?

TIA

The Diverge is a nice bike but it isn't really a gravel bike, though Specialized started calling it a gravel bike when they got caught flat-footed when they were without one and the gravel trend started taking off. It is a nice endurance bike though. If you are really wanting a gravel bike I suggest something that was really designed as a gravel machine and had really decent tire clearance.
Old 03-06-19, 06:00 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
A bike shop once told me that the Diverge is more like an endurance Crux akin to the Tarmac vs Roubaix.
Old 03-06-19, 08:21 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Specialized tried to just rebrand an endurance bike as a gravel bike without changing anything... Shame on them. We are all smarter than that...
Old 03-07-19, 08:18 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
Specialized tried to just rebrand an endurance bike as a gravel bike without changing anything... Shame on them. We are all smarter than that...
Funny you should mention that. I bought the Diverge because it rode so much like my Roubaix. Specialized makes no false claims about what it is supposed to be, an all around bike that is both road and gravel friendly. For me it's a perfect blend since I need to ride a few miles on paved roads and trails to get to anything resembling a gravel road.

Everyone has their own idea of what a gravel bike should be for them. I scoff at the whole dropper post, 27.5 wheels, and 60mm tires thing. Mostly because I feel it's overkill. Go buy a MTB if you want a set up like that. But for some people it's the greatest thing ever. To each his own.

My point is to buy something you like and that fits your riding style and needs. Recommendations are great, but not every opinion should be taken as the gold standard.
Old 03-10-19, 01:27 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
I have been looking at the grail but was concerned about the sizing and real world experience of owning one. I did a small charity ride yesterday and ended up riding 30 miles with a guy on a Grail! He loves it and gave me a good recommendation for sizing. Seems like a small is right for me, even though Canyon fit guide says I need an XS.

My plan is to swap the tires for 32 Grand Prix All Seasons and use it as a bulletproof road bike. I’ll most like get a set of Mavic All Road Elite wheels to put the 32s on and then have a road set up and a dirt set up.
Old 03-10-19, 02:05 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by slowgo
He loves it and gave me a good recommendation for sizing. Seems like a small is right for me, even though Canyon fit guide says I need an XS.

Write down all the measurements and call Canyon support. That's what I did on my purchases (XS for the wife and M for me). Both bikes fits us like gloves. Good luck and welcome to the Canyon family. I know you will love the Grail. Which model are you thinking of?
Old 03-11-19, 08:18 AM
chas58

My plan is to swap the tires for 32 Grand Prix All Seasons and use it as a bulletproof road bike. I’ll most like get a set of Mavic All Road Elite wheels to put the 32s on and then have a road set up and a dirt set up.
That is what I do, although I'm using the 4-seasons ghetto tubless (with skinny strippers for safety).

I kinda like those tires. It took me years (literally) to find the 32mm version before I found some on Amazon labeled as 32 inch tires (I was pretty sure that was a mistake!). Then they didn't fit my road bike, so I had to buy a bike to fit them. That really is a good size for all asphalt road biking (asphalt around here is often worse than gravel). With a set of 40mm gravel tires - the bike does anything.
Old 03-11-19, 08:22 AM
chas58

Another road CC glowing review of the Alumium grail.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/25...kepacking-bike

they could do a better job on the looks of those welds though...

I thought the single track bit was interesting. I do love flipping these things through non gnarly single track. So much lighter, flick-able than a mountain bike, and the climbing is amazing. Handlebars are a little narrow for single track though, lol.
Old 03-11-19, 09:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Another road CC glowing review of the Alumium grail.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/25...kepacking-bike

they could do a better job on the looks of those welds though...

I thought the single track bit was interesting. I do love flipping these things through non gnarly single track. So much lighter, flick-able than a mountain bike, and the climbing is amazing. Handlebars are a little narrow for single track though, lol.
The welds look like something my kids would have made when they were 4.

I get that chunky welds is a look, I've just never understood why its a look. Its a shame too as the green is a really nice color and those welds just interrupt the look.

I see the bike still doesnt exist stateside too. Someday, hopefully.

I've never understood the 7.0 designation. There aren't 6 other bikes available in the lineup and the grail is new so its not like thisnis the 7th version.
what does 7.0 mean?!
Old 03-11-19, 10:04 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I've never understood the 7.0 designation. There aren't 6 other bikes available in the lineup and the grail is new so its not like thisnis the 7th version.
what does 7.0 mean?!
I think the "7.0" is to keep their builds comparable across their multiple lines. I have an 8.0 pro, lol

I do kinda like an AL bike with welds that makes it look like a Carbon bike. Those Bikes Direct can do better welds than the Grail has...
Old 03-11-19, 10:35 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I see the bike still doesnt exist stateside too. Someday, hopefully.
!
I see both the Gail 7.0 and 7.0 SL listed as coming soon. Should be this year. In the mean time there are quite a few Gails listed in the outlet right now. Could be an even better bargain for someone.
Old 03-15-19, 11:26 AM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm interested in hearing why people feel the Diverge isn't a "gravel" bike. I don't own one, but I know a few people that do and it seems to be capable (in the right hands) of handling anything you can throw at it.
Old 03-15-19, 12:02 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelED
I'm interested in hearing why people feel the Diverge isn't a "gravel" bike. I don't own one, but I know a few people that do and it seems to be capable (in the right hands) of handling anything you can throw at it.
I think it certainly fits in the range of what a gravel bike is. I think some may think it's not consider a gravel bike because you can't slam 45mm tires on it. The term "Gravel Bike" is interpreted many different ways by may different riders, which is okay with me.
Old 03-15-19, 06:54 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelED
Originally Posted by CodyDog
I think it certainly fits in the range of what a gravel bike is. I think some may think it's not consider a gravel bike because you can't slam 45mm tires on it. The term "Gravel Bike" is interpreted many different ways by may different riders, which is okay with me.

Some people feel that a gravel bike should be more of a light duty mountain bike. Others think they should be a heavy duty road bike. I prefer the latter interpretation. People like to push the limits of their bikes but some people, like me, happily use them within their limits.

The Diverge is a road friendly gravel bike. Someone posted that it is more like an endurance bike which is a fair assessment. The biggest knocks on it are the low bottom bracket, 42mm max tire size, road like geometry, and the usual Specialized hate. Throw in the higher price when compared to comparable spec bikes and there is plenty to dislike about it.

Even with all that, I really enjoy riding mine. Seems like a very well rounded bike for what I need it for. I have other bikes for the more technical trails so the Diverge fits my intended use very well.
Old 03-15-19, 07:17 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Some people feel that a gravel bike should be more of a light duty mountain bike. Others think they should be a heavy duty road bike. I prefer the latter interpretation. People like to push the limits of their bikes but some people, like me, happily use them within their limits.

The Diverge is a road friendly gravel bike. Someone posted that it is more like an endurance bike which is a fair assessment. The biggest knocks on it are the low bottom bracket, 42mm max tire size, road like geometry, and the usual Specialized hate. Throw in the higher price when compared to comparable spec bikes and there is plenty to dislike about it.

Even with all that, I really enjoy riding mine. Seems like a very well rounded bike for what I need it for. I have other bikes for the more technical trails so the Diverge fits my intended use very well.
This is a good breakdown. There's now a virtually uninterrupted continuum from road race bike to mountain bike, whereas you used to be able to clearly categorize as road, cross, or MTB, with some touring bikes out there crossing over. Now we have road, all-road, cross, gravel, adventure, a full spectrum of "touring" permutations of the above, all available in 650 or 700c. It's really splitting hairs almost to the point of pointlessness trying to say a bike "is" or "isn't" anything unless going by UCI-legal categories.
Old 03-17-19, 07:13 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.

Not all Diverge models can take 42mm tires. Carbon yes, alloy you stuck at 35mm max. So while I would call the carbon diverge a gravel bike for sure the alloy is definitely not and basically an endurance crux.
Old 03-17-19, 10:56 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
i would not spend that much on a first bike, most likely the bike will not fit since you have no idea what reach and stack suits you. Your fit also changes as you ride more and more, your flexibility will increase and core muscles will strengthen, it took me 3 bikes to get my fit perfectly
Old 03-19-19, 07:25 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I have been looking at the grail but was concerned about the sizing and real world experience of owning one. I did a small charity ride yesterday and ended up riding 30 miles with a guy on a Grail! He loves it and gave me a good recommendation for sizing. Seems like a small is right for me, even though Canyon fit guide says I need an XS.
I'm guessing where you mention the Canyon fit guide you mean this
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/buying-advice/pps

I was coming up as XS which is only available in 650b and not 700 which for me was a deal breaker unfortunately ..... general advice if you're on the cusp with sizes is buy the smaller one, consensus seems to be it's easier to extend a cockpit without detrimental affect to the ride than it is to shorten it.
Old 03-19-19, 09:23 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by Witterings
..... general advice if you're on the cusp with sizes is buy the smaller one, consensus seems to be it's easier to extend a cockpit without detrimental affect to the ride than it is to shorten it.
Where is that from? Curious, I've never heard that. I shorten my cockpit on a lot of bikes. You can, to some degree, compensate by using wider bars if you are going real extreme.
General consensus is that if you want a more agile bike, get a smaller size, if you want a more stable bike (and more endurance oriented), get a larger size. Gravel people tend to like the stability and higher stack of a larger size (if you are in the cusp). But it all boils down to personal preference.

Nothing easy 'bout changing a cockpit on a carbon grail, AL grail, yes - its simple.
Old 03-19-19, 05:37 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Where is that from? Curious, I've never heard that. I shorten my cockpit on a lot of bikes. You can, to some degree, compensate by using wider bars if you are going real extreme.
General consensus is that if you want a more agile bike, get a smaller size, if you want a more stable bike (and more endurance oriented), get a larger size. Gravel people tend to like the stability and higher stack of a larger size (if you are in the cusp). But it all boils down to personal preference.

Nothing easy 'bout changing a cockpit on a carbon grail, AL grail, yes - its simple.
I found it mentioned a couple of times as I did quite a lot or research as I'm 5'7 which was right on the cusp for a number of gravel bikes, Pinnacle Arkose, Giant SLR GX, Boardman ADV and the Grail to mention just a few.
I may have found the results just by googling various different things. One of the main reason's is shortening the stem makes the steering more sensitive and more easily yanked out of your hands on rougher gravel but as you say you can compensate with wider bars .... but that is another added hassle / expense ... and a longer stem makes it less sensitive.
Here was a video I also came across as well as finding it in mentioned in a couple of forums

That said I wasn't being no way never, it was just a ... you may want to look into it ... You mention longer bikes generally feel more stable, it'd be really interesting to have a back to back comparison of a bigger bike with a shorer stem vs a smaller bike with a longer stem especially on gravel to see which "felt nicer"
Old 03-20-19, 08:26 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by Witterings
I found it mentioned a couple of times as I did quite a lot or research as I'm 5'7 which was right on the cusp for a number of gravel bikes, Pinnacle Arkose, Giant SLR GX, Boardman ADV and the Grail to mention just a few...
{snip**
That said I wasn't being no way never, it was just a ... you may want to look into it ... You mention longer bikes generally feel more stable, it'd be really interesting to have a back to back comparison of a bigger bike with a shorer stem vs a smaller bike with a longer stem especially on gravel to see which "felt nicer"
I did that when I ordered my bike. I was between sizes, so ordered both. The jump between frame sizes is typically 20cm, so I only needed to change the stem 10cm. Realistically, to make a significant difference in handling you are going to have to change the stem more than 20cm (both from what I have read and from my experience).

I really loved the agility of the small bike, so that is what I kept. If it was a gravel only bike, I probably would have kept the bigger bike as that would be more stable on loose decents, and had higher stack.

Roughly, it is like choosing between a sports car and an SUV – its more personal preference.

----------------------------------

As for the video, I remember that one. Thanks! I agree, taking a bike designed for 110cm, and putting a 80cm stem on it is going to make it twitchy. 30mm is a big change. 10 is hardly noticeable. 20 is easy to adapt to.

If you want more agility (i.e. more like single track) - short is good . If you want an easier downhill ride, long is good.

In your case - the bigger frame is going to be more stable. I don't think that reducing the stem 10cm is going to negate that.

From the video: "you are not going to see much of a difference from a long bike with a short stem, vs a short bike with a long stem."

And like any good engineer - think of stack up effects.
  • Is the bike more agile or more stable than you like
  • Does the frame size make it more agile/stable than you like?
  • Does the stem make it more agile/stable than you like?
Obviously if all 3 go in the same direction, you are going to have an extreme change, or you can balance the effect of the 3.